Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

19 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Do some math and dont go full retard. We are way over the cap. 

You have no idea where we'll be as far as the cap goes come next season, no math needed

• Hydration 1

10 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

gotta give to get, we got the best player in the deal and Madden hasn't ever played a game in the NHL

Definitely true. But you never watched Madden play ever.

• Confused 1

Can’t wait to see these lines Once Leivo and Boeser are back:

Miller Petey Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Leivo Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Motte

MacEwen

Bailey

Eriksson 

In the future I hope we don’t spend much more than a million per player on the 4th line though. 

Edited by brian42
  • Burr 2

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Toffoli >>>> Madden. If your betting on a guy in the NHL with the resume of Toffoli over a guy who hasn't played 1 game in the NHL you'd have to drink a hell of alot to bet on Madden

Sounds like Toffoli is better than every single prospect. McDavid should have never entered league. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It's been a long time since the Canucks can make a deal like this, where they can use one of the prospects as part of a deal, in landing a legitimate top six player. 

Would fans rather Benning sent Podkolzin or Höglander in return the other way instead of Madden? 

Ask the fans that question if Toffoli was already tied to a cap friendly contract, say for next 4 years with a $4M AAV!! 

Toffoli is still in his prime!! Hoglander or Podkolzin...  no matter how highly touted are not a sure bet to be on same level as Toffoli's... 

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

Toffoli >>>> Madden. If your betting on a guy in the NHL with the resume of Toffoli over a guy who hasn't played 1 game in the NHL you'd have to drink a hell of alot to bet on Madden

Again I totally agree.  But Tofoli is gone after this season.  Madden and that second could have been used next TDL, or (even better IMO) the 2022 TDL to get a support rental.  That’s when our young core will be mature enough to actually compete for a Cup, and not just to make it (hopefully) into the playoffs.  We should be spending these kinds of assets when our window is open. 

• Hydration 1

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s not about Madden playing on our team.  It’s about using the asset to bring in a support player when our young core is fully matured and ready to compete for a Cup.  Madden and a second this TDL.  A first and a third for Miller last June.  Both, in themselves, are very good trades, but now is not the time.  Our young core will need JB to support them with top players in three years.  Miller and Tofoli will both be gone, and the assets used to get them will be spent.  IMO these two trades shorten our window for a chance to win a Cup.  

Is our chance to win a Cup going to be better in three seasons when our young core is more mature?  Clearly the answer is yes.  That’s when these types of trades should be made.  Now we are less a first, a second, a third, and a highly regarded prospect.  

When you have a mandate to make the playoffs, and battling for top spot in the Pacific with 23 games to go, and the world is talking about a potential Vezina season from All-star Markstrom, with eight players in Pettersson, Miller, Horvat, Hughes, Pearson, Virtanen, Gaudette and Tanev having career years...

...yeah.

You go for it.

Next year’s first and second can be recovered in the summer. Or at least the second. 

Edited by Me_
  • Burr 2

If we can maneuver the cap signing Toffoli to a 4 year deal would be ideal. Re-sign Pearson in 2021 to a 3 year deal.

They both will end at the same time same age at 32. 4 more years of Toffoli and Pearson in their prime.

• Hydration 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

of all of our quality prospects, if this is the one that had to go I'm fine with it. Madden's size isn't an issue in college but it could very well be in the NHL. No one knows. 

But I freaking absolutely love the idea of Pearson-Bo-Toffoli. I also love what this does to the quality of our bottom 6. Oh and the PP options. 

Maybe this was a high price, we really won't know for 2-3 years. 

I'd say we know as soon as this summer, because, in my opinion, if Toffoli does not sign with the Canucks, then we lose Madden for essentially nothing. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Again I totally agree.  But Tofoli is gone after this season.  Madden and that second could have been used next TDL, or (even better IMO) the 2022 TDL to get a support rental.  That’s when our young core will be mature enough to actually compete for a Cup, and not just to make it (hopefully) into the playoffs.  We should be spending these kinds of assets when our window is open. 

You have no idea if Toffoli is gone next season. 

• Burr 1

1 minute ago, shazzam said:

Sounds like Toffoli is better than every single prospect. McDavid should have never entered league. 

Way to use a generational talent as an example. Well thought out. 

• Like 2
  • Hydration 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

no ferland is gone

toffoli will be signed to replace him

then we can trade him in 2 or 3 years at the tdl

and get madden back if you really want him

i won't miss him though

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

of all of our quality prospects, if this is the one that had to go I'm fine with it. Madden's size isn't an issue in college but it could very well be in the NHL. No one knows. 

But I freaking absolutely love the idea of Pearson-Bo-Toffoli. I also love what this does to the quality of our bottom 6. Oh and the PP options. 

Maybe this was a high price, we really won't know for 2-3 years. 

I feel like a player needs really elite skill to overcome size issues (height or weight or both). Petey and Hughes have that skill. 

Madden's done well in college but if he had that high end skill, he likely wouldn't have fallen to the 3rd round. Unless there's other factors at play (other deficiencies in his game besides size, refusal to sign, etc)

• Hydration 2

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

ok

so we got toffoli

that is a good get at this time of the season

i hope people realize he is not jt miller

not close, don't expect the same things from him

he is more like pearson

will be productive

but a bit uneven

but he is fills out the top 6 now

but likely is the 6th best player in the top 6

ep40

miller

brock

bo

pearson

toffoli

if any slip,

virt can step in

5th best.

Toffoli definitely better than Pearsson. Always has been since they came into the league in LA or played on same line and since Pearsons trade from PIT to us.  Toffoli has always been the better player. Has more offense too. 

Only thing bothering me about this trade is he likely leaves as UFA. Wish he was signed to at least 1 more season. 

I'm sure JB will try his best to re sign him. 

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Started tearing up when asked about getting traded in a recent interview.

Really? He must like San Jose. The emotional cost to the players that very few consider. He probably thought he’d win it all there. 

Sooooo

Miller Pete Boeser 

Pearson Bo Toffoli 

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Motte Beagle/Gaudette Leivo

Depth 

Baertschi, Goldobin, Eriksson, Ferland, Bailey, MacEwan

I think we might actually have a playoff team....... 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

You have no idea if Toffoli is gone next season. 

how GIF

• Hydration 1