The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Show how we sign Marky, Tanev, and all our other guys who deserve increased contracts, and keep Tofoli.  Rick Dhaliwal today,  before this trade, said it unlikely we can sign both Marky and Tanev.  Now we are supposed to sign Tofoli too?  But that’s not my point anyway.  In three years, when our young core is mature enough to really compete for a Cup Tofoli (and Miller tbh) will be gone.  That’s a lot of assets given up too soon, that could have been used to support our young core during their actual window for winning a cup.  

I think Miller and Tofoli make us better fir sure.  But are they core players who will lead us to a Cup?  No.  They are support players.  The core guys who could lead us to a cup are still maturing.  These trades and expensive UFA signings were too bloody soon.  This is likely why Trevor left.  He wanted to stay the course and draft and grow our new core.  Bracket sounds like he’s done here too.  IMO our owner fought with Trevor about this, and JB didn’t.  Now we shall all see where the ship heads over the next decade.  

Who says Tanev is going to be here next year? You know something we don't? Oh and Dhaliwai, he always knows 100% of what actually happens right? Anyone who claims to know what Benning is going to do now or next season must be named Alf and has had too much to drink this evening

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller’s contract will be up just when our young core is coming into their prime years for competing for a Cup.  That’s why IMO the timing of the trade to get him was too soon.  He’s a really good player, but he’s not going to be here when our young core is matured, so it’s a waste of assets getting him.  

Do you think that was the view on Hossa with the Blackhawks?

Also miller is 2 years older than horvat

Alf, no offense bud, you really need to do a little digging for info

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Yes , i meant to add this when moving him to wing came up. There was talk about moving him to the wing when he was drafted , which was pre- podkolzin.  

Yeah he was pretty far down the list of RWers and maybe even centers. I didn't even mention MacEwen and Lind both of which I kind of see as being more likely NHLers than Madden. I was pretty excited to see how Madden's development goes but with our depth at center and RW I don't really see him usurping Lind or MacEwen. Let alone Virtanen, Podkolzin and Boeser. So trading him for a sure thing now is a win in my books. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Yes I have, Ive seen at least 4 games and he's very good....at the college level. To be honest with you I hate loosing him but more so if he were 200lbs. Talk to me in 4-6 yrs because thats when we'll know if this was a bad deal for Vancouver and its only because JB has stocked the cupboards that were able to make a move like this. Oh and by the way the cupboards are still very loaded so as far as Vancouver is concerned theres no worries here

Yup he is very good. He was the 4th line center during the US national team 2 years ago. Then he was the top line right winger to Jack Hughes after 1 game. Madden isn't a throw in and a 2nd rounder is a crazy add...

19 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

we'll see

he may have better offense

but pearson is a really good 2 way player

and plays a resaonably heavy game

i think toffoli is slightly less well rounded

but we can revisit that when he has played 10 or 15 games for us

I’m looking at it like an expensive test drive. If he fits and helps us get in the post season then we have the luxury of luring him in. If it doesn’t work out then we’ll have to look at it as a potential miscue but a chance worth taking. At that point it might be nice not to have an extra contract to work into next years cap. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, coastal.view said:

you do realize the cap will be going up significantly

when the new tv deal is signed ?

i think the salary cap crunch is an issue this season and next

then things will get flexible again

again, not sure why you want to project a negative outlook on most things

Fifty years of watching our team trade away futures in hopes of just making the playoffs makes some fans a bit jaded I guess.  We finally have two young phenoms at the same time and in the two most important positions for building a cup contender around, and our owner (with JB’s doing) loses patience.  Why not wait for our young core to mature to where they are ready to compete for Cups before trading away for support players and signing expensive UFAs?  

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I've been a fan a long time too. 

I choose to be positive and hopeful about my team. 

i agree

but it is more then that really

there are very positive things happening right now

if you choose to look

and appreciate them

continually looking at things through darkened lenses

means you'll miss this nice upswing

53 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I think theres less then a 50\50 chance Ferland ever returns. Maybe Jim is thinking of using his salary and moving another contract or two and actually being able to sign Toffoli. Everyone is a GM here and has no idea what JB is up too, I mean was anyone really predicting this move? I think not. We got the best player in the trade and are a better team moving forward

So when did they release Ferland's medical reports?

Or did you put on your tinfoil hat to make this prediction?

Ferland is like any hockey player... he wants to be on the ice.

I doubt very much he gives up without one more go at it in 2020/2021.

And if he is ready to lace them up, then the Canucks need to make space for him under the CAP.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

Yup he is very good. He was the 4th line center during the US national team 2 years ago. Then he was the top line right winger to Jack Hughes after 1 game. Madden isn't a throw in and a 2nd rounder is a crazy add...

Sorry, but to the Canucks, Madden is a 4th round draft pick we just added to a 2nd round pick to land Toffoli and really doesn't hurt our prospect pool and improves our team with a top six winger we needed. Crazy isn't it?

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again I totally agree.  But Tofoli is gone after this season.  Madden and that second could have been used next TDL, or (even better IMO) the 2022 TDL to get a support rental.  That’s when our young core will be mature enough to actually compete for a Cup, and not just to make it (hopefully) into the playoffs.  We should be spending these kinds of assets when our window is open. 

I would argue the window to win is open as one team in the wide open pacific division will likely make the final 4. Plus after 4 years out of the playoffs I just want this team to get in so we can watch playoff hockey. Plus we got at least 3 other good forward prospects. There is no way Pod Hog Lind and Madden could all be on this team so someone had to be moved and today the opportunity was there to make the team better. 

I also think there is the opportunity to resign Toffoli to a reasonable cap number going forward. We need to move   some of the bottom 6 out though. 

4 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

And Jordan Schroeder played lights out in the tournament too and look how he panned out. You really don’t know how good he is because you don’t watch and monitor his development like the team does on a regular basis. People on here like to think they know more than the organization and it’s comical. If madden was a true blue chipper obviously he wouldn’t have been dealt. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

So when did they release Ferland's medical reports?

Or did you put on your tinfoil hat to make this prediction?

Ferland is like any hockey player... he wants to be on the ice.

I doubt very much he gives up without one more go at it in 2020/2021.

No prediction here, thats why I said 50/50 chance. I'm sure this was a risk Benning was willing to make. There are other moves Benning could make to fit in Toffoli if he wants to resign him, thats if he wants to. We'll leave it to Benning ok