The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Just now, theo5789 said:

The thing is we are acquiring insurance on defense, not necessarily a surefire top 4 defender. Tryamkin isn't going to walk into a top 4 role, but possibly a bottom 6 role (replacing Stecher) and he had no problem in that spot in his time here. He is playing top pairing minutes in KHL, so doesn't seem unreasonable for him to step up his minutes should we suffer any injuries. He's playing in his own playoff push/drive, so he would be coming in with that mentality as well.

Is he?

gotta admit I don’t follow closely enough to know. It’s just been glaringly obvious how important it is to have good puck moving defenders. He would sure be a good fit without having to give anything up. Still like Dillon though. Tough Mofo. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

King in our fifty years we’ve never had a top number one centre and a top number one D man at the same time.  (Well we’ve never had the top D man). And these two great players are extremely young.  Trying to just get into the playoffs by sacrificing assets that could have been used to help these two great players in three seasons when they are mature is just really short sighted.  JB is closing our window for winning a cup before it even gets open.  Why in the hell is he doing this?  

I hear what your saying because we've experienced what your describing before with the Sedins.  They had to wait for younger players to get drafted and mature to form the next supported core... these guys

kesler - 05/06   - 

Bieksa - 05/06 -  
burrows - 06/07
hansen - 08/09.  

The difference is the Canucks have already drafted these players.  They'll be added one or two or three at a time each year on entry level contracts to the team moving forward from now. 

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

pretty slick lineup.

Motte - Beagle - Sutter  line can go up against any team's top line and have a pretty good chance of neutralizing the game and limiting chances (on both ends, in fact!). 

That's a good looking lineup where nobody is playing too far up.  We would just have to shelter the Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen line when we're on the road.  They may be looking at limited minutes. 

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah you the facts you made were pretty...

Madden is definitely as touted and good as Hughes and Petey since weight doesn't matter and clearly where you are drafted doesn't either. You know a 3rd round pick is just as valuable as a 5th overall or 7th overall.

Madden is definitely a top end prospect. NCAA is definitely better than professional leagues in Sweden or Russia. Playing against men in a pro league means nothing so he must be better than Hogs and Pods. I mean it's not like Motte was a Hobey Baker finalist, only good players get those nods. NCAA success is a lot more better than any other, clearly a top end prospect on our team

It's definitely safe to say that Madden will play 10+ seasons too. He doesn't have any massive hurtles to overcome or anything and is definitely as touted as our other young guys 

who were underweight but drafted much higher than him, that means nothing. Madden could supply the bottom 6 grit we desperately need if we are overcrowded in the top 6. I mean i'd rather have Madden than a Reaves or Martin protecting Petey and bringing about a physical presence, who wouldn't with that 160lbs body.

Also Toffoli won't re-sign here, I mean the Canucks won't even try, it's not like there was conditional pick stating that if he did re-sign LA would be compensated or anything to tell us otherwise.

yeah

150 lbs body lol

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good trade, if we can extend Toffoli.

That’s the “big if,” though.

Not that the value itself is bad, if this turns out to be a pure rental. Toffoli was always going to command something in the range of a 2nd plus a very good prospect. JB did just fine here, on value as a deadline rental. If he can re-sign Toffoli (and hopefully JB has reason to be confident that he can get a deal done), he’s done very well. But if Toffoli is gone after this season, this is a very hefty price to give up for a team at the Canucks’ stage of rebuilding/competitiveness.

I rate Madden highly and see him as a future #2C (probably middle-six at worst). I’d value him right now as equivalent to a first round pick (despite us stealing him in the 3rd round of the 2018 Draft).

At the same time, I see Toffoli as a very good 2nd line winger, who could potentially prove an ideal fit for Horvat’s line over the next 4-5 years.

Basically, it’s a good move (potentially a very good move) if Toffoli gets extended, but bad move (and some serious asset bleeding) if we lose Madden and a second rounder for a rental.

And just a sickening move, for years to come, if Toffoli goes back to LA and plays on Madden’s wing for the next five years. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen. 

In any case, it will be fun to finish out this year with Toffoli in the mix. And hopefully this season isn’t the last we see of him in Canucks colours.

well l.a. does not get our conditional 4th if he does not re-sign with us

and they give back our 2nd if he re-signs with them ?

i'm sure jb wrote that into the trade

:bigblush:

11 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

At least a 3rd.

But the market is a sellers market so far, so SJS likely looking for a 2nd right now. 

damn, that'd be tough. team is without a 1st, or 2nd now (Toffoli), and if we give away a 3rd, we wouldn't be choosing until the 4th round, or do we not have that one either? 

25 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I’m not as amped up on Tryamkin as many others are around here. Stepping into the nhl at the tail end of the season in the thick of the playoff race????

He wasn’t even a proven NHL player when he left. I’d take a 4-6 guy like Dillon in a heartbeat and wait till the off season to give Try a look. 
Unfortunately it would take more than a 4th but let’s see what trader Jim has up his sleeve. 
Not sure on Fantenberg btw. 

Wonder if we could trade Stetcher for Dillon.  SJ does it bc Stetcher is younger and RFA rather than UFA.  Vancouver does it because the toughness and physicality that Dillon bring, we need that style and would likely be a better guy for us in the playoffs. also we are tight against the cap so if we don’t re-sign Dillon or Stecher it could be ok as we can give Rafferty or Tryamkin a shot next year.

i think Dillon plays the left side but we can switch Benn over to the right side to take Stecher’s spot. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Could easily have 7 - 20 goal scorers if Boeser gets back on time. that’s impressive.

Those are type of teams that make deep playoff runs.

Teams with six to eight 20 goal scorers are usually best teams in playoffs. 

Depth wins in playoffs. If Ferland wasn't out for season this team would be so deep that we could win 2 or 3 rounds. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, _Henrik_ said:

In about 80 posts of guessing, no one mentioned Schaller before it was announced. Is he considered too good or too bad to be in the equation?

In my opinion he's neutral...  

He's a good penalty killer, but he's easily replaceable otherwise at 5 on 5.  So if one of our forwards is able to step up and play on the PK, we should be fine.  
In fact, I've liked MacEwen's game better then Schallers.  

I think he was just needed to go back the other way to make things work under the cap.  I'm not sure where this leaves us as far as room under the cap but he also deserves a place where he can get more minutes so it might've been Benning throwing him a bone (I think Schaller and Benning go back to their Boston days). 

1 hour ago, khay said:

Chicago made WCF in Kane's 2nd season and won cup in Kane's 3rd season.

Why can't the Canucks get to WCF in EP's 2nd season and win the cup in EP's 3rd season?

Hughes is playing like Keith who put up 69 points in 82 games in 2009-10 season and outplaying Keith' 08-09 season, 44 points in 77 games.

Led by EP and Hughes this team's road to WCF is wide open. 

Chicago in 2008-09 season had one 30 goal scorer, four 20 goal scorers, and one guy that scored 19 goals (won't mention his name).

Canucks in 2019-20 season are on pace to have one 30 goal scorer (EP) and 5 to 6 20 goal scorers (Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Toffoli, Virtanen, and Boeser if he comes back in time). 

Chicago's defence featured Keith, Seabrook, Cambell, Barker, and Hjalmarsson (made the team full time towards the end of the season). 

We have Hughes, Tanev, Edler, Myers, Stecher, Fatenberg, Benn. It's worse but not by much.

And I think Marky >  Bulin wall. 

I think we have a shot at WCF this season. I don't think JB's is done with trades.

That 2008-2009 Chicago team was 4th the in league in goals scored that season, and were a very high powered offense. We are nowhere near that level of offense. We are currently 10th in the league in goals scored. But even ignoring that, as good as EP or any of our young players are, we don't have anybody at Kane's level (yet) in terms of goal scoring at will. With the exception of the Chicago game we played earlier this year, we never played like that. 

I'll give an example, in 2009 in the second round of Game 6, a game the canucks had to win if they wanted to stay alive, the gave up three leads. They just could not contain Chicago's offense and it ended up costing them the game. 

In case you missed it, Kane scores his first goal looking at his teammate the whole time (he didn't even look where he was going to shoot it.) 

He scores his third goal with a sick backhand that goes in the opposite direction of the goalie's movement. 

As much as I hate to say it, no one on our team can pull those moves off and our team isn't a high powered offense (yet). Maybe if Podz or Hoglander come into the line up and are complete home runs we can have this discussion, but as of right now, it just doesn't describe our team. 

We just don't win our games by totally outscoring the the opposition and being "impossible to contain". That 2008-2009 hawks team didn't rely heavily on their goaltending like we have this season. They relied on their offense. We couldn't be more different. 

Edited by Guest

26 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

In my opinion he's neutral...  

He's a good penalty killer, but he's easily replaceable otherwise at 5 on 5.  So if one of our forwards is able to step up and play on the PK, we should be fine.  
In fact, I've liked MacEwen's game better then Schallers.  

I think he was just needed to go back the other way to make things work under the cap.  I'm not sure where this leaves us as far as room under the cap but he also deserves a place where he can get more minutes so it might've been Benning throwing him a bone (I think Schaller and Benning go back to their Boston days). 

he was a contract dump by the nucks

he has no value to the kings who are in last place

nucks needed to move a salary in this trade, so he was it

they probably initially pushed to include baer and kings said no way