The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

50 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Depends on the impact he has in the playoffs if we make it. 

This. 

But in my eyes it’s a good deal if we make the playoffs, no matter what. Of course it’s a better deal if we win a round and Taff is resigned, but the playoff experience for this team at this point will be invaluable, so as long as we get there and Taff plays like a leader all the way I’m fine with this deal. 

An isolated strategy hopefully to give up on this year’s draft? Not a good strategy if repeated next year...

What a story to wake up to....

Benning taking the bull by the horns... Canucks being bullied and struggling to play against PO style hockey forced his hand...

Was wanting to stand pat, as trading for quality was always going to cost at this time of the year.

But glad to see us bring TT in... a proper top 6/9 player.

Sends a good signal to the youngsters. 

Price is not too high... and no more Schaller...thank you JB.

Lets hope we don't get screwed, and Toffoli mores back to the Californian sun in the summer :bigblush:

Still remember, when Roy baby for a second was supposed to be the missing link to the cup... only to see him walk away after a total lack lustre few months here....

Well done Jim Benning....again

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, brian42 said:

Could easily have 7 - 20 goal scorers if Boeser gets back on time. that’s impressive.

If the canucks can re-sign Toffoli, get Eriksson to retire that could lead to potentially 10- 20 goal scorers next year.

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Hughes

:emot-parrot:

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

If the canucks can re-sign Toffoli, get Eriksson to retire that could lead to potentially 10- 20 goal scorers next year.

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Hughes

:emot-parrot:

Ferland.

I honestly, sincerely, and patiently wish this man the best of recoveries and may he come back when he is fully healthy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brian42 said:

Wonder if we could trade Stetcher for Dillon.  SJ does it bc Stetcher is younger and RFA rather than UFA.  Vancouver does it because the toughness and physicality that Dillon bring, we need that style and would likely be a better guy for us in the playoffs. also we are tight against the cap so if we don’t re-sign Dillon or Stecher it could be ok as we can give Rafferty or Tryamkin a shot next year.

i think Dillon plays the left side but we can switch Benn over to the right side to take Stecher’s spot. 

With the acquisition of Toffoli, a forward i think there may already be an addition or two on D.

1) Tryamkin back.

2) a hockey trade, goldy/baer for a RHD upgrade, maybe Stecher added to the package.

Stecher + Baertschi + Goldobin 

For 

Severson( 25% retained)

Wood

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Roussell Gaudette Virtanen 

Wood Beagle Sutter 

Ferland Motte Eriksson and Leivo

Edler Myers 

Hughes Tanev 

Tryamkin Severson 

Fantenberg Benn 

Spl00000sh!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

With the acquisition of Toffoli, a forward i think there may already be an addition or two on D.

1) Tryamkin back.

2) a hockey trade, goldy/baer for a RHD upgrade, maybe Stecher added to the package.

Stecher + Baertschi + Goldobin 

For 

Severson( 25% retained)

Wood

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Roussell Gaudette Virtanen 

Wood Beagle Sutter 

Ferland Motte Eriksson and Leivo

Edler Myers 

Hughes Tanev 

Tryamkin Severson 

Fantenberg Benn 

Spl00000sh!

Eliotte Friedman made a good point.

Toffoli is a Boeser replacement.

Ferland has not been replaced yet and Simmonds may still be in play.

As for me, I wonder:

SJS

Stetcher

+?

VAN

Dillon

Edited by Me_

I wouldn't mind the price IF this wasn't a rental.  People can speculate, but, as of right now, we have no reason to believe that Toffoli is going to re-sign.  We're going into the draft without our 1st or 2nd and shipped out a prospect who had top-6 potential.  

This move has Benning's smell of desperation to get into the playoffs this year at the cost of patient development.  Thumbs down.

• Upvote 1

Trader Jim lands the most coveted TDL target for essentially a 3rd, 2nd and a 4th and a cap dump.  

Can we just give the guy the GM of the year award now.  He has done everything humanly possible to turn this team around, including giving the team a huge boost going into the last stretch.  

A few thoughts, Brock is out for a lease a few weeks, maybe longer.  

Ferland is done for the year.  

Trymakin is returning, so JB added that winger he wanted.  He already has a d man coming in.  

Madden is a steal of a pick, but also makes Quinn look big.  If he becomes the next Johnny Hockey, we going to hate this deal...  anything less, I can handle.  But he only cost us a 3rd. 

Makes the Coleman deal look bad for Tampa.  

That JB is bringing in Pearsons old linemate, Toffoli is going to hang with Tanner and Bo.  JB is going to try to keep both.  

Eriksson must be hanging up his skates.  Otherwise why surrender picks all in one year.  My speculation and I hope I am right.  

JB is putting his chips into the pot.  Got some monster sized cajones and I gotta say, well played.  

This tells the team, the fans and the league, we're going to be a factor in the playoffs.

The room has been given a vote of confidence, now it up to them to play to that same level that got them into this position.  

I feel that JB knows that this time has alot more to give, and that he has the guys that will give it their all.  

• Cheers 2

Have to admit, like some of JBs deals in the past to wake up and see this one the initial reaction is between WTF?!!?!  and throwing the remote (that was drafting OJ over MT).   If he doesn't re-sign and we don't make the playoffs then JB might get the axe before he can fire the coach at the end of the season and make changes.    That said he's surprised me enough times that I'm willing to wait and see.  To me Madden is playing like a first round pick - and just as or more importantly was one of our more ready prospects that could come in and help replace an expensive vet.  How do you quantify all of that into what could possibly be a rental?  Schaller was off the books anyways.

Even if all this move does is help get us into the playoffs-which it clearly is - I'm not sure I can stomach it (yet).  My initial reactions with the Miller trade were similar but turned around on that because he was on a good contract for his value.   What will Toffoli cost as a UFA?  More then 4.6 .... is a 20/20 top six guy worth 5plus?   This year his stats are good - but he's also a top line player so they should be.   Going to take some time to warm up to this.   Madden to me was worth a mid-late first rounder right now given he's playing like one - and one who's ahead at least a year in development then a brand new pick.   The Kings are definitely the winners of this trade.  

Toffoli is a good hockey player no doubt - if he can be even better here and we can re-sign him at less then Miller type money then OK.  We do need R wingers and Leivo probably won't be a good (although now we will never know).   But he was cheap.   Ugh.  I suppose from a business point of view Aqua wants playoff revenue, and this won't change the cap much - but will definitely help him make 3-5 million or so a game come post season....

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Have to admit, like some of JBs deals in the past to wake up and see this one the initial reaction is between WTF?!!?!  and throwing the remote (that was drafting OJ over MT).   If he doesn't re-sign and we don't make the playoffs then JB might get the axe before he can fire the coach at the end of the season and make changes.    That said he's surprised me enough times that I'm willing to wait and see.  To me Madden is playing like a first round pick - and just as or more importantly was one of our more ready prospects that could come in and help replace an expensive vet.  How do you quantify all of that into what could possibly be a rental?  Schaller was off the books anyways.

Even if all this move does is help get us into the playoffs-which it clearly is - I'm not sure I can stomach it (yet).  My initial reactions with the Miller trade were similar but turned around on that because he was on a good contract for his value.   What will Toffoli cost as a UFA?  More then 4.6 .... is a 20/20 top six guy worth 5plus?   This year his stats are good - but he's also a top line player so they should be.   Going to take some time to warm up to this.   Madden to me was worth a mid-late first rounder right now given he's playing like one - and one who's ahead at least a year in development then a brand new pick.   The Kings are definitely the winners of this trade.  

Toffoli is a good hockey player no doubt - if he can be even better here and we can re-sign him at less then Miller type money then OK.  We do need R wingers and Leivo probably won't be a good (although now we will never know).   But he was cheap.   Ugh.  I suppose from a business point of view Aqua wants playoff revenue, and this won't change the cap much - but will definitely help him make 3-5 million or so a game come post season....

Adding a key player, SC winning vet and only losing Schaller off the roster.  

Canucks win.  If Tyler Toffoli re signs with us, win win.

If the Kings get a useful player out of Madden, win, if that 64OA pick turns into something, than win, win.  

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Eliotte Friedman made a good point.

Toffoli is a Boeser replacement.

Ferland has not been replaced yet and Simmonds may still be in play.

As for me, I wonder:

SJS

Stetcher

+?

VAN

Dillon

We have depth and unless Brock is shut down for the season, then we will be getting him back at some point.  

Moving Stecher has some merit, but Tryamkin is free and will add depth.  Dillon is a rumored target.  I like it, with Tanev all but gone in FA, Dillon and Tryamkin alot of heft to our Right side. 

As long as we don't ship out any other prospects and picks.  A Stecher deal for Dillon.  Maybe add a Bailey, Goldy or Baer...  whatever substitutes for a Ballard, Raymond and 3rd.  

• Wat 1