The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I didn't mean to imply it was bad acquisitions or overpayment.

Guddy from fla was a bad deal but we needed a big rhd.

I am ecstatic with the miller trade since day 1

Happy so far with how pearson has turned out.

And i am quite intrigued with the addition of toffoli

Not suggesting you were for or against it, sorry if it came across as such.

Canucks did if I recall come out with a pick or two from that as well.  Just pointing out that for all the assets and hand wringing thus far the Canucks have come out well ahead via the Pearson, Toffoli (TBD*) and Miller trades

The only way we bif on the Toffoli trade is if we don't make the playoffs and or he doesn't re-sign.

Honestly, looks damned good so far

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Assuming everyone on forward is healthy, lines should be:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Extras: Eriksson, MacEwen

We need MacEwen in there man. Line up lacks toughness.

Would love for us to acquire Adam Lowry somehow.

18 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Here, you missed a few assets

1st rounder

2nd rounder

3rd rounder 

Potential 4th

Mazanec 

Gudbranson

Mccann

Madden

Schaller

For 

Pearson 

Toffoli 

Miller 

Haha fair But mazanec not really worth mentioning. forgot we gave a 3rd in Miller trade and considering McCann that doesn’t count cause we got Gud for him. 

still a win no?

Just now, tas said:

"Who says we couldn't give them away?"

facts do. 

I never said benning couldn't PAY to make teams take them ...

Facts?

Fact GMJB was asked about Baertschi trade and said a few teams asked but wanted the Canucks to take cap back. Thats where the discussion ended/ thread.

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

Gallant would be a step back.

Do not want.

See shawn thornton vs sedins and gallants words and behavior.

Stay far away.

Doesn't matter.  It's in the past.  We hired Tortorella.

Gallant has a winning record as a coach, does very well with young players and would be a decent addition in the event we lose or release Greene

• Upvote 1

I think Madden will be a player but he’s still a maybe. A late 2’nd round pick is definitely a maybe.  Toffoli for sure will help.  In my opinion it’s a good move as long as we can re-sign him which will be tough but hopefully Benning has a plan to do so (moving out contracts / IR).

Madden wasn’t going to surpass Petterson or Horvat any time soon, so do we really want a 160lb center as our 3rd or 4th line center.  Yes he will get bigger but he’s already 20 and that is very small. Petey and Hughes are small but they are also our 2 best players. We can’t have too many guys that size, especially if they aren’t elite players. 

Edited by brian42
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

That 2008-2009 Chicago team was 4th the in league in goals scored that season, and were a very high powered offense. We are nowhere near that level of offense. We are currently 10th in the league in goals scored. But even ignoring that, as good as EP or any of our young players are, we don't have anybody at Kane's level (yet) in terms of goal scoring at will. With the exception of the Chicago game we played earlier this year, we never played like that. 

I'll give an example, in 2009 in the second round of Game 6, a game the canucks had to win if they wanted to stay alive, the gave up three leads. They just could not contain Chicago's offense and it ended up costing them the game. 

In case you missed it, Kane scores his first goal looking at his teammate the whole time (he didn't even look where he was going to shoot it.) 

He scores his third goal with a sick backhand that goes in the opposite direction of the goalie's movement. 

As much as I hate to say it, no one on our team can pull those moves off and our team isn't a high powered offense (yet). Maybe if Podz or Hoglander come into the line up and are complete home runs we can have this discussion, but as of right now, it just doesn't describe our team. 

We just don't win our games by totally outscoring the the opposition and being "impossible to contain". That 2008-2009 hawks team didn't rely heavily on their goaltending like we have this season. They relied on their offense. We couldn't be more different. 

We are not quite where Chicago was, I know. And yes, I remember Game 6. Daniel Sedin would score, giving us some hope and then they come right back with a goal. Many people blamed Luongo but it was just Chicago was darn good. That was Chicago's coming out party, and more specifically, beginning of Kane's dominance. And for all we know, playoff EP might be different from regular season EP. You never know. I didn't know Kane was that good until he elevated his play in the playoffs. 

And the playing field is different from what it was back then. Is there a team as deep as Vancouver Canucks of 09, 10, 11 that Chicago had to go through this season or a Detroit team led by Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Zetterberg? Look at Pacific division and tell me there is any team that is unbeatable. We don't have to be as great as that Chicago team this season because the competition is very different from those years.

I think we've got a chance. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing EP and Hughes in the playoffs. These two kids have talent for surprising the Canucks fans.

2 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Facts?

Fact GMJB was asked about Baertschi trade and said a few teams asked but wanted the Canucks to take cap back. Thats where the discussion ended/ thread.

sending a player through waivers is giving him away for free. the canucks have done that twice and no team wanted them, for free.

taking a salary back that the other team doesn't want is PAYING to have someone take your players. 

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Haha fair But mazanec not really worth mentioning. forgot we gave a 3rd in Miller trade and considering McCann that doesn’t count cause we got Gud for him. 

still a win no?

True you can’t have Gudbranson and McCann on there. Yes it’s a win at least for another 4-5 years I think. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, tas said:

sending a player through waivers is giving him away for free. the canucks have done that twice and no team wanted them, for free.

taking a salary back that the other team doesn't want is PAYING to have someone take your players. 

It’s the other year on his contract that other GMs don’t want.  

• Upvote 1

Honestly I don't think cap will be that much of an issue:

This year:

4.6 toffoli
4.45 Tanev
2.325 Stecher
1.25 Virtanen
0.916 Gaudette
3.666 Markstrom
0.850 Fantenberg
1.5 Leivo
0.975 Motte
3.5 Michael Ferland

24 mil

July fist 2020:

Toffoli- 4 years 5.2 mil
Tanev- 3 years 5 mil
Stecher- 2 years 3 mil
Virtanen- 2 years 3.7 mil
Gaudette- 2 years 2.2 mil
Markstrom- 4 years 6 mil
Motte- 1 year 1 mil

26.1 (cap will likely go up to make up the difference.)

Year after

Ryan spooner 1.03 mil comes off the books.
Sven Baertschi 2.291 mil comes off the books (buried in AHL)
Jodie Benn 2 mil off the books
Suter 4.6mil comes off the books
Alex Edler 6 mil comes off the books.

this gives us  15 mil

July 1st 2021:

likely able to free up some cap from Eirksson either by him retiring or by trade with retained salary. we would use this cap space to sign Pearson.

Have to sign Pettersson, Hughes

Pettersson- 8 years 9 mil
Hughes- 8 years 9 mil

18 mil. Jb Will have to do a little moving around but not as much as we fear. I know Demko needs a new contract too but honestly if they give Markstrom a 4 year contract they likely trade Demko.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

After sleeping (does passing out count as sleeping?) on the idea of this trade, I like the move.  We have a very deep prospect pool, and can afford to use some to help now. Basically we’re rich. 

Turn coat :bigblush: 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Honestly I don't think cap will be that much of an issue:

This year:

4.6 toffoli
4.45 Tanev
2.325 Stecher
1.25 Virtanen
0.916 Gaudette
3.666 Markstrom
0.850 Fantenberg
1.5 Leivo
0.975 Motte
3.5 Michael Ferland

24 mil

July fist 2020:

Toffoli- 4 years 5.2 mil
Tanev- 3 years 5 mil
Stecher- 2 years 3 mil
Virtanen- 2 years 3.7 mil
Gaudette- 2 years 2.2 mil
Markstrom- 4 years 6 mil
Motte- 1 year 1 mil

26.1 (cap will likely go up to make up the difference.)

Year after

Ryan spooner 1.03 mil comes off the books.
Sven Baertschi 2.291 mil comes off the books (buried in AHL)
Jodie Benn 2 mil off the books
Suter 4.6mil comes off the books
Alex Edler 6 mil comes off the books.

this gives us  15 mil

July 1st 2021:

likely able to free up some cap from Eirksson either by him retiring or by trade with retained salary. we would use this cap space to sign Pearson.

Have to sign Pettersson, Hughes

Pettersson- 8 years 9 mil
Hughes- 8 years 9 mil

18 mil. Jb Will have to do a little moving around but not as much as we fear. I know Demko needs a new contract too but honestly if they give Markstrom a 4 year contract they likely trade Demko.

For the most part I agree that it’s not as bad as most think but if *Leivo and Fatenberg are leaving we still need replacements for them even if they are from Utica, also Ferlund would have to retire or be on IR for the remainder of contract for this to work but it’s possible a guy like Sutter, Baertschi, Eriksson or Beagle come off the books early. 

Edited by brian42

2 minutes ago, brian42 said:

For the most part I agree that it’s not as bad as most think but if Motte and Fatenberg are leaving we still need replacements for them even if they are from Utica, also Ferlund would have to retire or be on IR for the remainder of contract for this to work but it’s possible a guy like Sutter, Baertschi, Eriksson or Beagle come off the books early. 

I kept Motte at 1 mil.