The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

15 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He is just turning 28 in April, he should have 3-4 more years of prime hockey. Better to sign him and trade him near 1.5 years before the end of contract, he is a legit top 6 forward and imo better than Pearson. 

Yup and by then we can start sliding Hogz and Podz in/up to the top 6 and see if they can make Toffoli expendable/gain assets for him in trade.

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I’m not a fan of rentals they never work out...trading Madden I’m fine with but I would rather it of been for a offseason swop trade (younger player of equal value) .i liked Madden motor and skill set but he’s so small and Hoglander is the Canucks small guy, so I’m not sure where Madden would of fit on the Canucks. 3rd line with gaud? Not really strong or big enough line. 4th line? Not really.

im upset the picks traded I’m sure they where not needed to make this deal. Jimbo gets ripped outa draft picks again. Jimbo should not be doing the negotiating he a deal idiot. ..get Jimbo off the phone and get a badass agent negotiating for the Canucks..just have Jimbo sign off the final deal.

dumb giving up any draft picks. 2020 Canuck can take Draft Friday off and sleep in Saturday 2nd round....what’s Canucks 1st pick now?  in 2020 draft a player at 100 something....crazy and in a strong draft year.

Maybe we draft a Madden caliber player in the 3rd round. We did accomplish that before. Making the pick you have count is just as important as where they are drafted. There's still time to add picks before the upcoming draft. The focus now is making the playoffs to give the young group some experience and hopefully a positive one to develop them further and be able to assess the team on future decisions.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like the deal too, providing he’s only a rental.  With our top guys getting paid big cap dollars, we need ELC players filling the support roles. 

Or if Toffoli takes a deal less than 5.4 to come back. If he was on a 4-5 year at 4-4.5 would it be terrible? Takes him to 31/32 so another crack at cash, guaranteed money and a solid team.

All depends on the ask/get.

3 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I’d prefer NO TDL deals.....it’s bad dumb desperate GMing.

so you would rather give up chasing a playoff spot then?   with Brock out 3 weeks or longer and ferland done  , JB went out and fixed a problem  , ya it cost us a 2nd and madden , big deal ,  moves like this can boost a team , shows that management is willing to do whatever to give a team  it's best chance to win . I bet the players are happy 

Just now, brownky said:

Or if Toffoli takes a deal less than 5.4 to come back. If he was on a 4-5 year at 4-4.5 would it be terrible? Takes him to 31/32 so another crack at cash, guaranteed money and a solid team.

All depends on the ask/get.

Maybe, but JB just said he doesn’t make this trade if Bess is healthy.  Sounds like when ?Bess comes back he’s the guy in that spot.  Tofoli is simply a rental. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What’s Bess?  

I have BB slotted in with Petey and Miller.

So whos the other top 6 RW to play with Bo and Pearson???

Toffoli fits the bill to a tee.

He can score and is defensively aware (like LE).

Virtanen looks good but he hasn't played with Bo for any long period of time.

Green likes to slot him with Guadette and Roussel (which is a good third line).

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Well he said they'd like to try to sign him. I don't know how they'll make it work but..

Of course JB will say that about any of his coming free agents.  Reading between the lines it’s clear Tofu is a rental.  

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup and by then we can start sliding Hogz and Podz in/up to the top 6 and see if they can make Toffoli expendable/gain assets for him in trade.

Totally agree.

That way we don't rush the prospects until they are ready.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe, but JB just said he doesn’t make this trade if Bess is healthy.  Sounds like when ?Bess comes back he’s the guy in that spot.  Tofoli is simply a rental. 

I found that weird, as hasn’t Jim been saying that he wanted to find a winger for Bo ?

1 minute ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Toffoli can start out as a rental but if he gels with the team it opens up doors for a new contract.

Cap room says otherwise.  Plus, his age doesn’t fit.  JB just said he decided to help the group until the end of the year.  Rental.