The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

13 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

In Benning we trust.  Miller, Pearson, Myers, Fattenburg, Benn, Sutter, Eriksson, Rousell, Beagle and now Tiffoli. That's alot of veteran help for the young guns to be supported by.  

Boeser is out for 3 weeks.  So he will be back in time for the final stretch of games.  This team is in a precarious position.  With Brock out, they needed a shot in the arm.  Tiffoli was just named player of the week, so hopefully he can provide a boost a d some chemistry with either Bo or Petey.  

Boeser out 8 weeks at least  Possibly rest of season.:o

1 minute ago, redhdlois said:

I found that weird, as hasn’t Jim been saying that he wanted to find a winger for Bo ?

I think that would have been done in a hockey trade for a younger player with term.  It’s still a good trade though.  I think it’s actually better Tofu is a rental.  

1 minute ago, Darius said:

I suspect that they kept the real seriousness of BBs injury quiet so that it didnt give the other teams leverage when they were trying to look for options to replace him.

Yep.

Then the other teams knows VAN is super desperate and the asking price goes up.

I like this trade.

Yeah, it sucks to be losing draft picks but after 5 years of being at the bottom of the standings, the Canucks need to be making bold moves to secure a playoff position. There's a legit path to the Western Conference finals for a team in the Pacific and the Canucks are clearly going "let's try this". I don't think they can win it all this year but who knows, anything's possible in the playoffs.

Madden is a great prospect. But he's skinny. Real skinny. And the path as 3C is blocked for the time being. Pettersson - Horvat - Gaudette is a very good young trio of C's that have the chance to be one of the best C cores in the NHL for the next few years. Madden would only be getting in if one of the 3 get injured.

The Canucks also walked away with two 1st round talents at last year's draft. Podz and Hoglander are full of potential and could jump into the lineup sooner than later. So losing a first and second at this year's draft is easier to swallow. Also, the emergence of Carson Focht (who I do have my reservations about) and Aidan McDonagh (who appears to be the steal of the latter half of the draft) make me feel easier about losing Madden. We still have a ton of great prospects, so it's not like in years past where losing A prospect would cost us greatly.

Also, I'm pretty confident that if the Canucks don't make the playoffs this year -- Benning and Green will get fired. Benning will be booted by management and the new GM will likely let go of Green. So from management's eyes, this is a no lose trade. They're making a big playoff push and I'm here for it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Seriously get Jimbo off the phone as a Negotiator......hire a Agent to Negotiate....have Jimbo do final sign off.

Look at all the other trades that got done.  Benning got slightly better than market value.  Whether or not the team should be trading for rentals isn't a question that calls his negotiating skills into question.

Personally I would have been more inclined to be selling but hopefully we'll be able to keep our UFA guys.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Carter was a sniper, but could also dish the puck...similar to Horvat but a better sniper.....I'm hoping Bo will take it to another level playing with TT and TP.

All he’s ever done is take it to another level each season. I’m not worried about that line at all. Quite exciting for him to have those two on his wings.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Cap room says otherwise.  Plus, his age doesn’t fit.  JB just said he decided to help the group until the end of the year.  Rental.  

There would never have been a conditional if he didn't intend to sign him... The trade is a huge W if we win 1 or 2 rounds and resign him

45 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Kind of torn. The reason why I want to keep him is cause he's very flexible. Can play center or wing, can play up and down the line-up, and has offensive upside. 

That being said, if we can find a younger, cheaper player with a bit of term, then so long Sutter. Otherwise might as well keep him.

He's probably our next best trade bait, he and Stecher.

To me, Roussel is the likely fwd to be moved in the next week

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Kind of torn. The reason why I want to keep him is cause he's very flexible. Can play center or wing, can play up and down the line-up, and has offensive upside. 

That being said, if we can find a younger, cheaper player with a bit of term, then so long Sutter. Otherwise might as well keep him.

He's probably our next best trade bait, he and Stecher.

To me, Roussel is the likely fwd to be moved in the next week

• Upvote 1