The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

There would never have been a conditional if he didn't intend to sign him... The trade is a huge W if we win 1 or 2 rounds and resign him

Conditional is only a fourth and that’s at the 2022 draft.  Basically that’s simply a courtesy.  Tofu is a rental, and I think that’s better than resigning him.  

Benning knew what needed to be done and made a decision. It's a very smart move.

Not sure if anyone asked if he done yet, I'd assume he still sees the defense as a weakness that needs addressing. How much of that falls on Baumgartner's systems and how much falls on the personnel remains to be seen. As well, Benning may try to secure some extra viciousness.

Boeser, Leivo and Ferland out for the year forced Benning's hand. Playoffs may not happen unless he brings in another Top 6 player. I'm not worried Toffoli won't re-sign. There's some forwards that will be leaving the team over the next couple of years: Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel and Ferland. And new, cheap forwards making their way up: Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind and Focht. By then Horvat will be a veteran, and guys like Hughes and Boeser will be in their mid-20s. This team should be fun to watch for trhe next 15 years. Looking forward to seeing Toffoli play on our side tomorrow night.  

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

To me, Roussel is the likely fwd to be moved in the next week

With LTIR Canucks have over 5.5M in cap space to add.  There are no roster limits past the TDL and would think that Benning wants to keep depth going into the playoffs.  

Seems like 96 pages of support for this trade. I will just log my dislike for it. If all goes "well" they get 30 games of Toffoli (23 games left + 7 game rd 1 loss). I see this trade as jumping the gun - too early in the teams progression to be giving away picks and prospects. I don't believe the prospect pool is deep enough that the Canucks can afford to lose a second and a highly touted prospect for a 30 game rental.

The only way Toffoli is re-signed unless another player is lost in the off season. Virtanen? Leivo? Stecher? Tanev? Signing Toffoli, Tanev, Stecher, Gaudette, Virtanen, Leivo and Markstrom (and losing a FA will not recoup any assets) will not fit when you have to sign Pettersson, Hughes, replace/sign Edler and Pearson and replace Sutter the following season. Even if the Canucks can find a way to get rid of LE's 6 million they are in cap trouble going forward. And by cap trouble it simply means you can't keep everyone - it is mathematically impossible. You need to lose the Roussel's and Beagle's and replace them with 1 million dollar players (which is why lots of us questioned why they were signed in the first place) and there is no way you are trading either of those 2 in a year or two without giving up assets to encourage someone to take them.

Toffoli is not a bad player. Will he help the playoff push? Sure - especially with Boeser out. Does he guarantee the Canucks make the playoffs? Nope. Lots can happen over the next 6 weeks or so. The Canucks could as easily be in the playoffs as out and this trade does nothing to change that. 

Edited by drofssalg
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, the grinder said:

so you would rather give up chasing a playoff spot then?   with Brock out 3 weeks or longer and ferland done  , JB went out and fixed a problem  , ya it cost us a 2nd and madden , big deal ,  moves like this can boost a team , shows that management is willing to do whatever to give a team  it's best chance to win . I bet the players are happy 

TDL rentals are desperate deals.....team should have depth without rentals.

what I’m upset with, really.....is the throw away picks....it’s bad negotiating....any word of draft pick leaving should be laughed at and hung up on.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HockeyHarry said:

TDL rentals are desperate deals.....team should have depth without rentals.

what I’m upset with, really.....is the throw away picks....it’s bad negotiating....any word of draft pick leaving should be laughed at a hung up on.

That’s pretty much what JB said.  He said He made the Tofu trade because Bess is done for the year.  

so @stawns regarding our discussion Brock vs Jake.

Turns out that this move was meant to replace BB.   With toffoli practicing on the first line instead of Jake, will that be enough info for us to think that management doesnt trust Jake enough in the top 6 yet?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning knew what needed to be done and made a decision. It's a very smart move.

Not sure if anyone asked if he done yet, I'd assume he still sees the defense as a weakness that needs addressing. How much of that falls on Baumgartner's systems and how much falls on the personnel remains to be seen. As well, Benning may try to secure some extra viciousness.

That was asked and he said they continue to look, but could very well be done.