The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

honestly one way we could keep toffoli would be to trade a longer contract for Simmonds whose contract will be off the books this year. we would put a sweetener in obviously. NJD seem like they are willing to wheel and deal.  

Roussel+ Prospect for Simmonds

Works perfectly.

Even if the prospect was something like Lind I would do it to keep Toffoli.

I love the Canucks, and I love seeing them do well, win games, score goals, etc. This trade improves the team now, so I see no problem with it. Who knows what will happen after this season, if Toffoli will be re-signed, if Tryamkin returns, if Hoglander makes the team next year, if Eriksson is somehow traded,... What this trade does is gives them a good chance at playoffs this year. I see no downside to this. The Canucks are in a position where draft picks will possibly help their future, but the future is now, or getting close. Developing draft picks are nice, but they don't help the team now. I want playoffs, so good job Jim.

8 minutes ago, mll said:

With LTIR Canucks have over 5.5M in cap space to add.  There are no roster limits past the TDL and would think that Benning wants to keep depth going into the playoffs.  

As much about clearing cap for next year as this year. If we can move Rouss for futures and then flip those to try to move Baer as well...

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

As much about clearing cap for next year as this year. If we can move Rouss for futures and then flip those to try to move Baer as well...

The cost in sweetener to move Rooster and Baer would be way too much.  Neither of those guys is getting traded. 

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

19 ish mill to sign Marky, Tanev, Toffoli, Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher & Leivo.

Ballpark: Marky 5-6, Tanev 4.5, Toffoli 4.5, Virtanen 2 (1 yr deal), Gaudette 1 (1-2 yr deal), Stecher & Leivo gone.

Moving Roussel is an interesting idea. I like Roussel alot but it might be necessary, he'd have interest too.

I think it would be more like Marky 5-6, Tanev 5, Toffoli 5.5, Virtanen 3.5 , Gaudette 1.5, we will need to move some cap out. 

By my estimate Canucks needs to move out about 5 million in cap space. Either Eriksson, or Sven and another 3 million dollar player (Sutter/Roussell).

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HockeyHarry said:

TDL rentals are desperate deals.....team should have depth without rentals.

what I’m upset with, really.....is the throw away picks....it’s bad negotiating....any word of draft pick leaving should be laughed at a hung up on.

oh ya every team has a top 6 just waiting around ,  so again with brock, ferland and leivo out  (  top six depth) ,you rather not chase a playoff spot ?   throw all that hard work away   because you don't want to trade a 2nd and 3rd (madden ) ,    so what is more upsetting missing the playoffs or a 2nd pick  and 150lb center ?  a real fan would say playoffs  

plus JB has built a prospect pool   so we can afford to take a year off drafting , hoglander next year and then podi the following year , young players will still be flowing into the lineup  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, the grinder said:

plus JB has built a prospect pool   so we can afford to take a year off drafting , hoglander next year and then podi the following year , young players will still be flowing into the lineup  

7 Young players in total over the next 1-3 years according to Benning

we gonna be just fine 

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Ya, he was definitely holding his cards close to the vest.  

I wonder if he might trade Jake, in a hockey trade, fir a tough nosed D man? 

You really never know. I would wager a no on that one though. Jake has arrived pretty solidly this season, and is a player that is ideal for playoff hockey.

Not sure what Benning could do.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

oh ya every team has a top 6 just waiting around ,  so again with brock, ferland and leivo out  (  top six depth) ,you rather not chase a playoff spot ?   throw all that hard work away   because you don't want to trade a 2nd and 3rd (madden ) ,    so what is more upsetting missing the playoffs or a 2nd pick  and 150lb center ?  a real fan would say playoffs  

I think you’re right, but what about using Madden and that second as sweetener to clear Loui off our cap, so we have room to sign Marky and Tanev?  There is a ripple effect we are overlooking.