The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So Benning said repeatedly, they have 7 guys who he envisions being Vancouver Canucks 'in the next 2-3 years'. Wonder who that group is.

-----Obvious ones;

Podkolzin

Juolevi

Rafferty

Hoglander

----- then;

Lind

Rathbone

Wonder about the last one, Woo? DiPietro? Or is he putting MacEwen in that group?

I’m going with Mac, JB said he’ll be on opening day roster next year

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Boeser for Dumba

Guerin is looking for a C1 in return for Dumba.  The Wild desperately needs playmaking Cs.  They have wingers and defence.  

Boeser would probably have trouble succeeding in Minnesota.  They have nowhere close to the equivalent of Pettersson to set him up.  They are also a rather slow team - he doesn't have the skating speed to carry Parise-Staal.  Rask and Donato are even slower skaters than Staal. 

This was Friedman in his 31 thoughts - Dreger also says that Guerin wants a C1 in return for Dumba:

Guerin wouldn’t discuss specifics, but, according to industry buzz, the most asked-about player on his roster is Jonas Brodin, followed by Mathew Dumba. (I’d bet there’s a bit for Marcus Foligno, too.) I don’t get the sense he’s inclined to do anything with either, unless it involves an elite centre, or maybe a No. 2 centre, providing that includes something extra — like a couple of first-rounders or something along those lines.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

You keep saying he’s rental. Just wait it out a bit you can call him a rental in the summer if he doesn’t resign lol.

But yes Boes will be back. But we get to go through another summer of awesome ideas about how the fans can trade him lol

I’m hoping Tofu is only a rental.  I don’t think paying him 5 mil plus over a 4 or 5 year term at his age, is wise for us going forward.  I like the trade though, just don’t want to keep him long term. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, mll said:

Guerin is looking for a C1 in return for Dumba.  The Wild desperately needs playmaking Cs.  They have wingers and defence.  

Boeser would probably have trouble succeeding in Minnesota.  They have nowhere close to the equivalent of Pettersson to set him up.  They are also a rather slow team - he doesn't have the skating speed to carry Parise-Staal.  Rask and Donato are even slower skaters than him. 

This was Friedman but Dreger also said that Guerin wants a C1 in return for Dumba:

Guerin wouldn’t discuss specifics, but, according to industry buzz, the most asked-about player on his roster is Jonas Brodin, followed by Mathew Dumba. (I’d bet there’s a bit for Marcus Foligno, too.) I don’t get the sense he’s inclined to do anything with either, unless it involves an elite centre, or maybe a No. 2 centre, providing that includes something extra — like a couple of first-rounders or something along those lines.

Again, Dumba is not worth that return.  Especially with the down year he’s having.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m hoping Tofu is only a rental.  I don’t think paying him 5 mil plus over a 4 or 5 year term at his age, is wise for us going forward.  I like the trade though, just don’t want to keep him long term. 

If Toffoli re-signs then Sutter will be moved. I'd rather have Toffoli, an actual winger, playing on the wing than Sutter who is a centremen. 

Edited by peaches5
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Again, Dumba is not worth that return.  Especially with the down year he’s having.  

I think so too but Guerin is under no obligation to trade him.  He can wait - Dumba is starting to look better.  Fenton failed a couple of trades and didn't maximise the return on Niederreiter and Coyle.  Guerin can't do the same.   He did well in the Zucker trade by being patient.  

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

If Toffoli re-signs then Sutter will be moved. I'd rather have Toffoli, an actual winger, playing on the wing than Sutter who is a centremen. 

Looking at it as Tofu in and Sutter out I’m okay with that.  The issue is I’d like his to have cap room to keep Marky and Tanev first.  Sutter might have to get dumped (which will cost us sweetener to do so) in order to clear room for Marky and Tanev.  

Sucks that Boeser is out for the rest of the season but this trade makes a whole lot of sense now.  Hopefully we go on a long playoff run and Boeser is able to come back and provide more depth scoring.

This trade was reminding me of when the Kings traded Brayden Schen for Mike Richards.  Schen was a top prospect at that time, drafted top 5 and traded to reunite Carter and Richards.  We know very well how that turned out. 

We now have a legit top 6.  I think we have the right pieces to go on a deep run this year with the key factor being Markstrom (and the Pacific being weak this year). We'll go as far as Marky can take us.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

I think so too but Guerin is under no obligation to trade him.  He can wait - Dumba is starting to look better.  Fenton failed a couple of trades and didn't maximise the return on Niederreiter and Coyle.  Guerin can't do the same.   He did well in the Zucker trade by being patient.  

Geurin should keep Dumba, and draft a centre.  Number one ceiling young centres are rare, and expensive.  RJ cost Seth Jones, and RJ isn’t even that good.  

Virtanen has looked good with Petey and Miller.  Toffoli should be playing with Horvat, I’m actually pretty pissed if Eriksson is staying on the second line I thought replacing Eriksson on that line was the main motivation behind the trade as it should have been. 

Toffoli can still play PP1. I might have to take Eriksson out myself for the benefit of the team and fans. 

• Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

39 minutes ago, Darius said:

so @stawns regarding our discussion Brock vs Jake.

Turns out that this move was meant to replace BB.   With toffoli practicing on the first line instead of Jake, will that be enough info for us to think that management doesnt trust Jake enough in the top 6 yet?

Nope, if anything it tells me they see Jake as a guy who can drive a line, as opposed to being the third to a pair.  That move had already been made when BB was healthy because BB on Gauds line wasn't working, as there was no driver on that line.  Personally, I think they see Jake as one of their top 4-5 fwds.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

One thing that was mentioned about 50 pages ago, and is worth repeating. Toffoli was being targeted by Calgary and Edmonton at the deadline. This made it more important that we got him, which ups his value slightly more. I'm very happy we picked up Toffoli, given BB's injury, a need for more top 6 scoring, and a risk of our division rivals getting better instead of us... this is a strong move.

Also, as a foot note, because TT is now unavailable, it means Calgary and Edmonton will become more desperate, possibly have to overpay and make a bad trade out of desperation. This trade has the potential to work on many levels.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe.  But after the July bonus Loui is only owed 4 million in total salary, but counts for 6 (for two years) against the cap.  That’s attractive to bottom feeder, rebuilding teams when a top prospect and high pick is attached.  

, all that can be figured out in the off season  loui may just retire after july  , then it doesn't cost us  assests, ,  Rather not use  a first round pick(podi/ hoglander) plus to just gain space ,  there are other ways to get  cap space  

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Benning:  "up to Travis to determine fit for TT".  Played with Pearson.

Are they done?

Always looking to improve...especially with players out.

I was happy with this trade and I am really happy we have Jim Benning as our GM.  I feel so bad for Ferland and Boeser, hope Bess is able to come back for the playoffs.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3