The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Just Dont Get It With Canuck Fans

Rate this topic

Zigmund.Palffy

On 2/18/2020 at 10:21 AM, WalkWithElias40 said:

Hello,

Ive been a long time canucks fan all my life, and still dont get what those canuck Fans want from JIM BENNING smh. Of course we want our 1st cup in franchise history, but reading thru CDC there are fans who are actual mad about the TOFFOLI trade, like really ? Cmon ppl!

JB trading for Miller was money ! He hit a home run on that trade, and paying that high of a price for Toffoli means JB believes he can re-sign him.

I actually love the trade, this team needs the players surrounding the young core who has won cups and have experience in playoffs, I see in JBs plan that this trade does actually fill in that need for the young cores development. They need that playoff experience. In no way i think canucks are cup contenders but I do think this team has what it takes to make the playoffs. 

Yall complain about lack of movement JB is doing, and once he does something those canuck fans complain, “OH MY GOD HE TRADED OUR FUTURE MADDEN NOOO FIRE JIMBO!” , “JIMBO TRADED WAY TO MUCH FOR A RENTAL OH MY GOD THAT EFFIN IDIOT !” 

LOOK stop complaining, do you guys want to see our young players develop or not ? Like WTH is wrong you guys? this is the next step in the future of our young core.. how many prospects we need ? We have so many great prospects up and coming and they will not have a spot on the main roster when ready, which will take 2-3 years more.

Madden is going to a team where he will have a chance to play his game, he did not have room to play on the canucks and we dont know his potential in the NHL.

We still have the one of the best prospect pools in the NHL and im ok with letting Madden go.

Horvat, Petey, Gaudette will be our 3 top centers going forward.

so you see canuck fans, we have been rebuilding for too long, 5 years now, its time to stop being a hater in JB and believe what hes doing, he wants this team to succeed and by doing that he will add assets around the core to help them develop that winning culture on the team, we cant be rebuilding forever , we have all the pieces to be a dynasty team.

I agree with most of what your saying. 
I’m not speaking for everyone that’s either for or against this trade. But a few things to enlighten u to the fact why people might not be on board with this pickup. 

I love this trade for this year. If the Canucks can’t resign toffoli and Resign or replace there other Ufas. Then I hate it. 

here’s my reasoning why. If madden and a 2nd rounder are on the table. Your telling me that New Jersey wouldn’t have taken madden and a beagle or Baertschi like contract to help the Canucks for the future. Or Ottawa taking a second and one of those above players. 

these would have helped the Canucks for a few years as opposed to a few months. 

don’t get me wrong I’d love to see this team in the playoffs and I like toffoli. But if the Canucks want to build a winning culture for years. Using assets to gain a rental the first year out of a rebuild with all the injuries this team has and they’re Still not a shoe in for the playoffs.

unless they can resign toffoli marky tanev and not totally screw themselves over cap wise it’s a monumental steal. 

but if this team misses or just squeaks into the playoffs to lose in 4 or 5 games and not retain toffoli or any of there ufas. This just screams a gm desperately trying to cling to his job. 

I will save my appetite for crow and humble pie once I see how this season plays out. I was not on board with the Miller trade when it happened but am loving that I was wrong about it. Fans always have a knee jerk reaction to anything that happens with the team. That is their investment so people will be happy and people will be upset,it happens. While I like Toffoli as a player. I don’t mind trading Madden, the 2nd stings just because we always seem to unload our seconds in this regime with the exemption of Demko,Lind,Gaget,Woo and  Hogz. Demko looks to be an NHL goalie and Lind and Hoglander look to be promising NHL forwards too. Woo will hopefully be a top 4 D. So while we can trade our prospects that come from a position of strength (Madden) you can’t deny that having your first and second picked to keep the pool steady with depth as the draft position as we develop into a contender becomes higher in the standings. So while I do like the trade now, I understand some fans foresight of the long term pain with this short term gain. Or at least the potential of this being only a short term fix. Each to their own.

Edited by EP Phone Home

On 2/18/2020 at 10:33 AM, LowerMainLander18 said:

It's fine.

Once Toffoli turns out great, those people will jump back onto the bandwagon, pretending like nothing happened lol. 

Why would you think anyones off the bandwagon.?
Canucks Bandwagon? Or this TDL trade Bandwagon...which I didn’t know had a bandwagon.

12 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I’ve sight the light now...from all the Wise CDCers this Trade is awesome and will guarantee a cup win. It’s the greatest trade ever....and will be remembered for Eternity cause it got us the Stanley Cup.

2EB5AB7D-7BE8-42A1-B1BE-E1C57F9327C3.jpeg

That's a bit extreme. Noone says giving up a prospect like Madden is the greatest trade ever.

It's the situation we r in. And to still fight thru into the playoffs, this move can be justified somewhat.

Nothing is ever the greatest and the worst ever happened. A bit of common ground would be nice. 

4 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Why would you think anyones off the bandwagon.?
Canucks Bandwagon? Or this TDL trade Bandwagon...which I didn’t know had a bandwagon.

Perhaps I couldve chosen better words. We are all in Canucks fanbase. 

By the bandwagon, I meant the one that supports the decision made by our staffs. 

6 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

That's a bit extreme. Noone says giving up a prospect like Madden is the greatest trade ever.

It's the situation we r in. And to still fight thru into the playoffs, this move can be justified somewhat.

Nothing is ever the greatest and the worst ever happened. A bit of common ground would be nice. 

Perhaps I couldve chosen better words. We are all in Canucks fanbase. 

By the bandwagon, I meant the one that supports the decision made by our staffs. 

FYI My first post sarcasm 

it was a dumb trade for a 20 goal scorer who a rental.

i like Jimbo....but he made a plz the mob move.

Edited by HockeyHarry

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

FYI My first post sarcasm 

it was a dumb trade for a 20 goal scorer who a rental.

I swear you said the same thing about SHinkaruk.  McCann.  Pearson.  Subban.  Schroeder.  Effectively every prospect Benning has moved on from in one fashion or another in his tenure....

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I swear you said the same thing about SHinkaruk.  McCann.  Pearson.  Subban.  Schroeder.  Effectively every prospect Benning has moved on from in one fashion or another in his tenure....

Sorry I wasn’t around posting at that time... would of been fun times.

7 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

I doubt that it is gonna be easy making the playoffs (especially without Brock). As things come down to the wire, games get tough. And we obvious played a lot worse without Brock in the lineup. 

People criticized his underproduction this year but now they are starting to appreciate his game.  

Pacific division is tight. But it's not absolute crap as u put it. Teams are waking up down the stretch as the playoff spots are still kind of up for grabs. 

One point u posted that I agree. We are few years away from being contenders. 

If it's easy getting rid of bad contracts, we likely would have done it already. U know it would likely cost us draft picks for other teams to take on the contracts like LE's. 

That would be worse than getting nothing in return like Toffoli. There is no guarantee he won't re-sign with us. 

I don't exactly follow ur saying we r mortgaging our future by just giving up on an undersized player in Madden. 

Sure he will be a good NHLer someday for another team that he will fit better. 

But whether he would have fetched us better player/ pick today? Very doubtful considering the kind of deals have been made during this TDL. 

And I think playoffs experience is invaluable to this team. (More importantly, to the fans. U know there were fans that were spamming "Fire Green" even when the team was like 6th or 7th overall in the whole league right? Imagine what would happen if this team failed to make the postseason)

Not just to smoothen things out with the fans, as a young growing team, playoffs experience is very important. 

Winning culture, confidence, directive goals... Without providing those, we can't miraculously expect them to suddenly come out to being a contender from a non-playoff team. 

One thing is for sure from what Ive been seeing tho, without replacing Brock with player like Toffoli, we stood very little chance making the playoffs this year. 

I dont disagree with playoff experience s invaluable. but at the same time I still think we make the playoff even if we dont get toffoli. Boeser hasn't done much for a quarter of the season now and we were just fine. The key to making the playoff for this team is playing 60min and not taking 1st period off.

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I dont disagree with playoff experience s invaluable. but at the same time I still think we make the playoff even if we dont get toffoli. Boeser hasn't done much for a quarter of the season now and we were just fine. The key to making the playoff for this team is playing 60min and not taking 1st period off.

Brock was doing a lot of the right things for the team despite an underwhelming offensive production. 

And it showed in the games that he missed. 

I do feel like we were in a serious trouble down the stretch if Brock were to be shut down for the rest of the season. 

Games r gonna get tougher. And we can't risk not making the playoffs this year. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/18/2020 at 10:34 AM, Grape said:

People are allowed to have opinions. If they are wrong you can make fun of them.

Every single sports fan base is the same. There are people who have individual thought, while some succumb to groupthink. Sometimes they’re right, sometimes they’re wrong. If you’re suggesting that “we are all canucks” should mean “everyone should blindly support everything the team does without original thought,” then I strongly disagree with you. That’s called groupthink and I posted a lot about it last night.

Bingo.

Doesn't mean we can debate over a beer or 12 and burn Leaf jerseys.

Just means we disagree on moves. 

My simple answer to the poster who started this thread....Canucks are a fringe Playoff team who isn't in the position to be going for it at the TDL and acquiring 1 of the more sought after pending UFA's. Trades similar to this one for us should be made over the next few years, but I don't think this year was the year to spend assets like we did. We need assets/picks etc down the road we can dangle, we never were a team to stock pile picks, imagine if we did, we might have more Madden/Gaudette type picks!?

Go Canucks, hope they make the playoffs we shall see if TT is a rental of if he is willing to sign here...

• Upvote 1

OP, we live in a "outrage culture" and vancouver in general and vancouver sports talk radio is really bad....... and i have lived in other sports.

going back aways but i heard lots of people complain about the cory schneider trade....... a back-up goalie for a #9 overall pick......... would you trade the #9 overall pick for a back-up goalie? i think the fan base would have gone insane. i.e. if the reverse happened.

JT Miller for a protected first rounder........ people again upset........... but that really mattered in that trade, to me at least, is if JT Miller played well for vancouver and if vancouver if good enough to not need the protection. i think both were quite likely with our young, improving team (note that i didn't see miller playing as well as he had...... but i don't think his addition was based solely on providing good protection)...... people say we could have got more for the pick. ok, so NJ throws in a 2nd rounder, big deal.

talk radio complains big guns aren't scoring. then later we don't have secondary scoring...... if we had BOTH, we'd be the top scoring team in the league. it's not a high scoring league these days.

injured finnish defenseman over tkachuk was bad, especially with burke rubbing it in... erickson a poor signing.

TT, we didn't give up too much........ no idea how salary cap works exactly. i do know in NBA. is the whole idea we get TT for the push? and then maybe he wants to sign in vancouver. or do we have a salary cap advantage in signing him now?

basically teams these days are built on 4-5 good players, a few nice support players and then a good team culture and smart team-makeup. but you don't need much talent beyond your first 2 lines/d-pairings.... basically markstrom, hughes, some other defensemen, petersen, boeser, horvat and then good team culture.

i think the timing on TT is great....... this team is good enough that it won't getting any mega-talent in the NHL draft any time soon. so this is probably as good as it gets for the talent of the team. so why not trade draft choices for more talent?

if TT walks, you didn't give up that much anyway.

On 2/20/2020 at 6:34 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

long time Canuck fan here, Jim Benning has built up a strong enough prospect pool to be able to tradee

Madden

1st rounder 2nd rounder 3rd rounder 

for

Jt Miller and Tyler Toffoli although Toffoli is a pending ufa and might be a rental, I am ok with this trade, I can also live without the trade, since its a 2nd rounder.

Those guys are very good, but it kills the rebuild.

6 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

Soo to those canuck fans  who hate JB, how you feelin now...:bigblush:

still sour about TOFFOLI trade or what ? :lol:

Just too soon in the rebuild and as good as they are it causes problems later and could really hurt the team.

With the fore knowledge of Markstrom's injury I am surprised he didn't do more work to get a better goalie

As far as the title, Canuck fans IMO, are not that shallow or stupid to believe that almost getting there is enough to start a parade, give out raises or forget. I think all this does is put pressure on the GM too much and mistakes can happen. Canuck fans are too forgiving

Edited by Lazurus