The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Nucks - Feb 19 2020 - 7:30pm Pacific - SNET

Rate this topic

xereau

25 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Certain fans just don't understand hockey.

Making two perfect lines won't equate to a W. 

I don't like LE playing in the top 6. But at the same time, I don't want them placing wrong burden on our 3rd line. 

Rather I think it's important to develop Gaudette as we chose him over Madden now. 

I want to see JV on top 6, too.

But I rather want this team to make playoffs this year and win a cup someday. 

Taking LE out of the line up entirely? lol. That means we will be taking chances with an AHLer.

They r smart for not doing that as they know certain fans are too fragile-minded to be able to process the consequences ensuing that move.

Would love it if we can afford to put someone in for LE. 

But we don't have that option at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

I think that's something my 12 yo nephew would type. 

I think these are some things aGENT would type. ::D

• Wat 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Ok. So show the way, professor.

A lot more than that goes into winning. Like scoring, and passing, puck possession, goaltending and defense.

How does putting Eriksson with Bo put a burden on the 3rd line?

I think u need to work on ur reading comprehension skills. I said putting JV on top 6 would result in that. Not the other way around. 

Gaudette was chosen over Madden long before Madden was traded to LA. Adam is doing very well.

Yes he was doing really well which I am happy for. But having Madden in our pipeline does put pressure on him. I wouldnt exactly say we always chose Gaudette over Madden. 

And putting Eriksson on the second line will make that happen over putting Virtanen there? How so?

Bo's line logs hard minutes as main match up line. So our 3rd Line could log more offensive zone time. Gaudette can't handle those minutes as recent as last game, his gave away resulted in that 4-1 goal. Placing JV in Bo's line won't help that line play against other team's top line. I like JV's offensive improvements but defensive game hasn't exactly been his strength even this year. 

The beginning of the season says hi.

Ya when we had other options. Like I said, I would like for someone to take LE's spot but we don't have that option with our injuries. 

I believe Benning referred to MacEwen as an NHL player in the press conference. That "AHLer" has looked very much at home on the team.

Big Mac is playing in this game. Yes? And how would I classify him as an AHLer brought into the roster as we scratch LE? 

Please explain, prof.

Read previous GDT/ PGT. Ur homework. 

That's a falsity. Eriksson is not an unreplaceable player on this team.

Explain. 

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And clearly you know how better to think like a 'veteran NHL coach'.

Most teams have two lines that play some level of 'match up'. One is generally a hard, primarily defensive 3rd or 4th line. The other is generally a top 6, 2-way line (Horvat's). Exactly what we have. Not in fact 'primarily secondary scoring'.Their defensive/match up work is as, if not more, important as any offense they provide.

Are you actually calling in to question Green's ability to develop youth?! :lol: That's arguably his greatest asset!

Generally when Loui (frequently) gets demoted, that's exactly where he does play FWIW. You'll note he's pretty much, exclusively, on one of the two match up lines.

WHAAAAAAT?!! Coach's move players around and rearrange their lines in-game??!?!!! :shock: What kind of voodoo sorcery is this you speak of!?

:lol:

You know how coaches always talk about 'consistency' as one of the key attributes to becoming a bonafide NHL player? Why do you think that is?

IMO, it's so that when they put a line out there, they know pretty damn well what they're going to get out on the ice 9 out of 10 times. That's why Green has his default, 'baseline' lineup with Loui alongside Horvat and Pearson. So that 9 out of 10 times they go out, he knows EXACTLY what he's going to get and hence when and how to play/deploy them and against who, in what situations etc.

Now depending on game, opponent, who does/doesn't have legs, score, situation etc, etc, etc he can and will change that up. That's not second guessing, that's coaching. But of course, being a veteran NHL coach, you'd know better, right?

I've always hated the argument for "you're clearly not behind the bench, what would you know?" theory. It's stupid. Plenty of times fans make proper coaching decisions that lead to success that coaches are too stubborn to try out. We had one earlier this year when the fan base had to basically bully Green into throwing Hughes on the first line powerplay. I remember specifically Cheech discussing mid-games that the fans have been very vocal about Quinn Hughes replacing Edler on the powerplay a few games before he was put there, and when he was put there commentary came back saying fans were frothing at the mouth to see what it can do. 

Now you could make the argument that there was a plan in place to get Hughes more accustomed to a powerplay structure, etc. from the coaching front, but I mean come on, you could tell from a mile away the kid was a superstar. A player of that caliber doesn't need 8 games to figure out where to go on a powerplay. You can draw those things up in 1 practice. 

Fans get things right all of the time. They may not know the ins and outs of the team because they obviously don't have insider info on things like injuries, illnesses, player tendencies and confidence measurements, but a lot of simple decisions can be easily made from fans. You see it year in and year out. We saw it two weeks ago when people wanted MacEwan to be inserted into the lineup for a stronger checking presence. 

It's such a childish outlook on things. So many of us play competitive sports growing up, many of us playing the game at a high level, many of us have been watching the sport for decades, etc. It's not like we just turned to watching hockey and figured, "Hey, I know I just figured out on Tuesday what an offside is, but should we maybe trade for Crosby next week?". Most of us aren't that dumb. Many of us are blind homers, but even most homers (aside from a few REALLY BAD ones here) are able to make intelligible decisions when it comes to how the team should be directed. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

ryan reynolds GIF

I read somewhere that Mac is involved in the cap crunch with some of those weird contractual numbers things the average person can't comprehend (lawyer stuff). There's a good chance we might not see him the rest of the season. Might have heard it on the Hockey Central at Noon podcast.