The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

This wouldn't surprise me. He has value, especially being a righty. His contact has two fold value. He can be re-upped and retained this summer for a team that wants to keep him moving forward. He can also be viewed as a rental in this year as you simply take him to arbitration. If the team doesn't like the number they can walk away. He should be worth a second imho.

• Cheers 3

Maybe the piece in the Simmonds rumors. I guess that means Rafferty will get a showing sooner than later. Not usually a good idea to dump D before the stretch run. 

Would be wise to move him after the season and before the draft for some picks. His QO will put him at 2.65m and I'm not sure the Canucks want to spend that on a #6D. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It would surprise me if it happened before the deadline, but not if something happened in the summer. There's been a lot of talk about keeping our depth for a Playoff push and now we're going to trade a reliable 3rd pairing guy?

He will have to be qualified in the offseason for more than what he is actually worth so why not try and get an asset for somebody who won’t be here next year?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It would surprise me if it happened before the deadline, but not if something happened in the summer. There's been a lot of talk about keeping our depth for a Playoff push and now we're going to trade a reliable 3rd pairing guy?

Depends on who's coming back, if they plan to upgrade him in a separate deal, how ready they think Rafferty is, how comfortable they are Tryamkin is returning, how healthy Fantenburg is... etc, etc

For the right return and depending on some of those answers, I'd sure as hell look at moving him for the right return.

With all due respect to Stecher, I can't see him bringing much value on his own.  A mid-round pick perhaps.

As others have noted, seems odd for the Canucks to trade a D right now unless they know they have other D coming in.  I have difficulty believing they will be deal Stecher and expect Rafferty to replace him.  Notwithstanding how well Rafferty has played in the AHL and in the preseason, that's a lot of faith to put in someone who hasn't got into any NHL action since preseason.

I would have thought that Stecher would be more of a trade candidate in the summer since he'll still be a RFA.  If there is a good deal on the table, then sure, but it seems like odd timing.

If the Canucks and NJD are in fact having discussions about Simmonds, then maybe a D might be part of the return with Simmonds.  Seems unlikely that Severson could be acquired unless the Canucks pay a big price so maybe a depth D like Carrick?  I really hope they're not considering bringing in Subban as part of dealing Eriksson.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Pickly said:

He will have to be qualified in the offseason for more than what he is actually worth so why not try and get an asset for somebody who won’t be here next year?

It makes sense, but do you believe that's what Benning is doing right now, especially after the Toffoli trade? After giving up futures for the Playoff push he's going to trade someone who will contribute to said Playoff push? I doubt we'd be looking at an upgrade, although our name as been somewhat attached to Martinez. 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Depends on who's coming back, if they plan to upgrade him in a separate deal, how ready they think Rafferty is, how comfortable they are Tryamkin is returning, how healthy Fantenburg is... etc, etc

For the right return and depending on some of those answers, I'd sure as hell look at moving him for the right return.

If it's an upgrade it makes sense, but I doubt we could find one. The only one on defense I've seen our name attached to is Martinez, but he's supposed to be going to Vegas already. Not to mention we'd almost certainly have to give up more futures to get him. All of those other options are considerably inferior to Stetcher if you're looking to win games down the line.