The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

22 minutes ago, rekker said:

The whole thing is a farce. Simmonds of five years ago? Sure. For now though I will take Zack and the enthusiasm he brings.

Sorry, I'm not singling you out because many others have stated the same thing... but why does everyone think that Big Mac is a gritty forward with toughness? I haven't seen that at all from him. I know he dropped the mitts 6 games back, but since then he hasn't laid any noticeable hits, or got involved in scrums. In fact I see him more as a gentle giant with a good shot.

I know he is a cheap option for size, but I don't see him as a "tough guy" in todays NHL

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I fink Buffalo should be the team to target for RHD they have Ristolainen, Montour, Miller and Jokiharju on the roster. Bogosian and a couple more rhd prospects.

Not much outside Dahlin and McCabe as LHD.

Baer+Goldy+Stecher for Ristolainen or Jokiharju preferring Ristolainen.

With goldy/baer finishing the year with Utica on loan.

He's Big Fast and plays offensively with a physical edge, yes please!

You are aware that the other GM gets a say in the trade too right?  Even a video game on cheat mode turns this trade down for Buffalo.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then I guess Jersey keeps Simmonds.  Not a chance any team gives up a sure thing top four D man prospect for Simmonds.  Friedman knows that too.  He knows his printing this idea is trolling.  Kind of shocked a Canuck’s fan would support it.  Interesting.  

Hopefully they do or trade him elsewhere.  I see no use to add Simmonds at all costs. They have MacEwen who riled up the Wild last game but Green sits him. Benning explained he brought in guys like Roussel to stand up for the skilled players.

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Makes sense. Trade him to recoup some picks... hopefully a 2nd. Bring up  Rafferty and then sign Tram when his team is done.

ya i love it but   trade sutter and goldobin and baertchi to sharks for  jumbo joe and patty m  and maybe leivo and 2021 3rd for simmonds yes please. get us that cup 

35 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is Simmonds really that tough? I'm sure he can hit, but even Petey hits. Is he snarly? Would he drop the gloves against Foligno and Kassian, etc? If not, then, no.

If Stecher is truly going to be traded, maybe JB should be targeting a real heavyweight enforcer such as MacDermid as a bottom D pairing option. LAK are happily selling off all assets. With MacDermid in the lineup guys like MacEwen, Miller, Roussel, Virtanen and Horvat should feel like they can play bigger.

Also I am just hoping that the shackles come off in the post season and the Canucks play a lot tougher with a group pushback mentality. Horvat, as our leader and captain, needs to show the way here IMO.

Just now, BigTramFan said:

If Stecher is truly going to be traded, maybe JB should be targeting a real heavyweight enforcer such as MacDermid as a bottom D pairing option. LAK are happily selling off all assets. With MacDermid in the lineup guys like MacEwen, Miller, Roussel, Virtanen and Horvat should feel like they can play bigger.

Also I am just hoping that the shackles come off in the post season and the Canucks play a lot tougher with a group pushback mentality. Horvat, as our leader and captain, needs to show the way here IMO.

Those guys don’t get played in the playoffs. You need guys that can actually play.

Do you actually see Green playing an enforcer when he sits MacEwan for Eriksson?

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Sorry, I'm not singling you out because many others have stated the same thing... but why does everyone think that Big Mac is a gritty forward with toughness? I haven't seen that at all from him. I know he dropped the mitts 6 games back, but since then he hasn't laid any noticeable hits, or got involved in scrums. In fact I see him more as a gentle giant with a good shot.

I know he is a cheap option for size, but I don't see him as a "tough guy" in todays NHL

Gotcha. Big Mac is by no means a clone of a young Simmons. He does however bring an edge and energy to the team that I doubt an old Simmons can. A fighter? Probably not, but the fact that he did shows me that he's hungry to do whatever it takes to earn a job. I did watch him in Penticton and he stood out. Almost like a taller Burrows. Running around being a thorn in the oppositions side. Guess I took a liking to him after that. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Those guys don’t get played in the playoffs. You need guys that can actually play.

Do you actually see Green playing an enforcer when he sits MacEwan for Eriksson?

We're not in the playoffs yet, so hard to say what Green will do in that situation. I bloody hope he would play an enforcer and MacEwen, over LE in the playoffs!

Also I am not suggesting MacDermid plays every game, but someone like him could be useful playing specific games, providing toughness and energising this team. If you check his +/- MacDermid is not completely inept, he is a role player and he can actually score.

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think that's accurate at all. Stecher has skill and he's shown that he has heart. He's a very smooth skater, handles the puck well, has a reasonably good shot.

The problem is, we have too many other guys in the system who are cheaper, who all play a similar game. If there's any truth to the idea that Tryamkin is serious about coming here, I think there's 2 guys that will likely be moved. I think Stecher gets moved for either prospect or pick, (there will be a LOT of interest if he's on the market), and I don't think Benn will be here next season either. Both of them will be part of the ongoing retooling of our defense.

I think the biggest thing with Stecher is that we already have one smaller guy back there (Hughes), who is light years ahead of everyone else in talent. I think Benning wants our defense to be bigger and more punishing, and that equals Tryamkin. I believe signing him and bringing him back is a priority.

Exactly, which is why his heart and his skill, while being quite good, doesn't outmatch his lack in stature and overall potential. Which is why we will be moving on

You're saying what I'm saying, I was just to lazy to add all those words as people have been a bit testy lately so I kept it simple

Edited by kylecanuck

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Why would Benning get rid of him for a pick right now.  My guess would be Stecher + for an upgrade on the backend.

Because we are low on picks this year, and while having a decent talent pool, it's not bottomless. What we do have is a good number of prospects ready to push for spots on both D and Offense

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is absolute bull crap...he's all HEART all the time.

If he's being shopped, it's more about the number crunching than anything.

I go to a lot of games (and watch all of them)...he gives 110% every shift and plays much bigger than his size.

I'm not saying he doesn't play with heart, it's just not enough to resign him on alone...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1