The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That'd be a tough move to do, 4-6 defenseman going for a lot.

Might have to stay pat. I only see us trading Stech if we know for certain Tryamkin is coming back and/or they have confidence in Rafferty which idk why they would yet.

4 minutes ago, Dogcrazy said:

Hopefully he is replaced by a big and heavy defenseman please.  

I am curious to see if Tryamkin really does come back...

1 hour ago, bad alice french said:

No theo no!

we don’t have that kind of time to suss our failed experiments and auditions. We need to have 6 healthy nhl defenders down the stretch and a number 7 ready to go. It’s going to get harder to shelter weaker pairings. We can’t be taking chances in the back end right now unless it’s forced on us. I’ll take Stechers  15 minutes per game right now over and other defender in our system. If Stech goes another Defender has to be coming back. 

Tryamkin.

I find it hard to believe that Benning doesn't already know if he's coming back or not. I think he's just keeping things quiet. He learned early in his GM career when he got fined for tampering and a recent example is how he kept quiet about the extent of Boeser's injury until after the Toffoli trade. Considering that Tryamkin's agent has previously said that it won't take long to get a deal done and the fact that he hasn't extending in the KHL already are pretty telling to me.

In the meantime before he arrives, give some depth a look.

If Tryamkin does return, Stecher might be the odd man out anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Tryamkin.

I find it hard to believe that Benning doesn't already know if he's coming back or not. I think he's just keeping things quiet. He learned early in his GM career when he got fined for tampering and a recent example is how he kept quiet about the extent of Boeser's injury until after the Toffoli trade. Considering that Tryamkin's agent has previously said that it won't take long to get a deal done and the fact that he hasn't extending in the KHL already are pretty telling to me.

In the meantime before he arrives, give some depth a look.

If Tryamkin does return, Stecher might be the odd man out anyway.

Hockey used to he like that. When Benning used to play. 

Hockey IS like that.

It is telling of a Cup winner.

SHUT UP and do the job. 

Dead on.

Making a trade has to make sense if our goal is to make the playoffs and win a round or two. The Stanley Cup playoffs are a war of attrition.  Injuries, knock on wood, may happen which will test our depth. Is Troy expendable? I don't know.

My thinking has changed since reading a post last week. The poster demonstrated a heat map where the shots are being taken against the Canucks.  The study indicated that we are struggling on our right side defence. While the post did not differentiate between individual defencemen, we do have to look who is playing on that side.  This might be why there is a little urgency to do something.

But it all has to make sense.  Money is an issue as much as contract status is.  

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

This part is is absolkutely true.

This part is absolutely not. Its a market. They only get what they ask if the market will bear it.

For example there is a post a page back, believe, cough Alf, quoting a media guy saying the ask would be Juolevi?

I personally dont believe we would pay that. Or that Jersey will get any return for Simmonds if that was the ask. They wll turn bumpkus.

In an ideal world, Jersey would still be sheltering Zacha as well.  As long as he has been in the NHL?  He is istill younger than Gaudette.  Pavel has, in more than general terms, been a dissapointment.  Has not been good enough to be that classic 2knd or 3rd line shut down centre. Not good ennouggh to be the offensive guy he was tabbed to be when drafted.  One reason Jersey is stuck in never never land is the failed development of Zacha.

I am sure at this exact moment? That they would LOVE to sell Zajac, Just probably are not in a position to do that.

I would be surprised if they would not look at trading him to resurrect some value.  I am also sure they may like to have Gaudette, with some upside? Their current 4th line C. Kevin Rooney will be 27 in a few months. Haas yet to crack 20 NHL points.  Yes they could use Gaudette. And yes it would be a good situation to let them battle to decide who becomes Zaajac's replaacement.

On your part there is no need to quote us spin from another teams GM. The world according to Garp. As if it was gospel? Spin is only true when things go to plan. Players develop as they are hoped to...

Galchenyuk was also untoucheable in Montreal. How many teams has he been dumped moved now???  

NJD doesn’t have to trade Simmonds if they don’t like the return regardless of what market says.  If NJD’s ask is too high teams can walk away.  So many trades don’t happen at the end of the day despite discussions taking place.  Benning did not want to trade Hamhuis to Dallas because he didn’t like the return.  Dallas didn’t want to pay Benning’s ask.  

Situations evolve constantly.  A team is always under assessment.  Benning gave Baertschi a 10M deal and now is trying to move him.  

Look at the Wild.  Leipold sending a video message telling season ticket holders that they are not rebuilding.  So much that they gave Zuccarello that contract. Now a year later the plan has changed and they just sold Zucker for futures.  At any point in time a GM is going to have a certain view on his team but he will continuously adjust the plan.  Nothing is linear and certainly not player development or decline.

As for NJD Fitzgerald just gave a presser after the Greene trade.  He has a certain view of where they are now but maybe in a month it might be different.  

For now they think Blackwood is the goalie to build around.  So seems logical they wouldn’t have much interest in Demko at this point in time.  If Blackwood can’t continue his development then they will have to change plans. 

They apparently talked to Zajac about waiving but he wasn’t interested so unless he changes his mind or they buy him out he’ll finish his contract there.  Some teams spend too long on certain players and would probably be better off moving on faster.  At some point they will have to make a decision on Zacha but they don’t seem there yet.  

Galchenyuk went from a 3rd overall with a bright future to someone who struggled to become that C1 they thought they drafted and with off ice challenges.  Things don’t stay static and the relationship evolved to the point were it wasn’t surprising that they wanted to move on.  Domi is not as secure anymore with the emergence of Suzuki.

Edited by mll

11 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Which means they never existed... flying fire breathing reptiles the size of a house?

Riiiiiiiiiiiggght.

See the source imagemeet Draco Volans the flying dragon  that live in south east asia  more of gliding lizard  and doesn't breathe fire  and pretty small  but it is a flying reptile  

Edited by the grinder
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

OMG..... are you saying Stecher could be .... Babych's son??? OMG!

I see Harold Snepts.  It would actually be great if Stech could magically become mean like our big Chewbacca was. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Huggy Bear 1

As much as I love our local boy Stech.... he's not really worth $2.5M in today's market... He plays hard and stuff but we should bring in more size for the playoff run...  I think we are fine with Benn and Fantenberg... we should target a bigger, tougher RHD if there's one available for the right price.... I heard Bogosian (RD, 6'3, 226 lbs, 29 yrs old) is dying to get out of Buffalo.... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

As much as I love our local boy Stech.... he's not really worth $2.5M in today's market... He plays hard and stuff but we should bring in more size for the playoff run...  I think we are fine with Benn and Fantenberg... we should target a bigger, tougher RHD if there's one available for the right price.... I heard Bogosian (RD, 6'3, 226 lbs, 29 yrs old) is dying to get out of Buffalo.... 

Stech for Bogo would be a great TDL deal.  Cap concerns though? 

Just now, Alflives said:

Stech for Bogo would be a great TDL deal.  Cap concerns though? 

Good question!! didn't even think of the cap issue... here's the thing, Bogo and Buffalo kinda hate each other now and I wouldn't be surprised if they are willing to eat close to half his salary to make a deal happen... since Bogo is on an expiring contract, we can just throw them a half-decent prospect like a Brisebois or something like that!! Win-Win?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Bogosian is a downgrade from Gudbranson who we just moved away from and was available for free on waivers...we're not trading Stecher for him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

The biggest competition for Stecher is Rafferty and perhaps Rathbone. If Stecher wants to stay he needs to avoid what Hutton did. Stecher needs to tell the team that he is willing to sign a 2-3 extension for $1.5M per year but with NMC. I predict that Stecher may join his old D partner Hutton in L.A.

• Like 2