The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

I'd be careful trading away an NHL defenceman for a pick going into the home stretch where we'll be one injury away from a few Utica call ups. Stecher has made mistakes but throwing Juolevi or Rafferty into tense games will not only break them but our bottom pairing.

Don't trade away the defensive depth we've worked so hard to get.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd be careful trading away an NHL defenceman for a pick going into the home stretch where we'll be one injury away from a few Utica call ups. Stecher has made mistakes but throwing Juolevi or Rafferty into tense games will not only break them but our bottom pairing.

Don't trade away the defensive depth we've worked so hard to get.

Chances are we'd be playing Fantenberg/Benn as our bottom pair, not throwing Juolevi or Rafferty (or Brisebois or Sautner or Tryamkin should/when he returns) in to 'tense games'.

There's also the chance they'd actually package him for an upgrade/other piece.

Otherwise yes, I'd imagine Stech is likely more of a summer/move his rights move.

Edited by aGENT

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bogosian is a downgrade from Gudbranson who we just moved away from and was available for free on waivers...we're not trading Stecher for him.

Then... who do you suggest we can get for an upgrade, RHS D-man, bigger & tougher, not too old... got some playoff experience, lesser cap hit than Stech?

3 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Then... who do you suggest we can get for an upgrade, RHS D-man, bigger & tougher, not too old... got some playoff experience, lesser cap hit than Stech?

That's not going to happen.

If we're packaging Stecher for an upgrade, it would need to be something like Stecher + Virtanen (and perhaps a prospect) for a guy like Ristolainen, Severson etc with term left on a more expensive (but still reasonably affordable) deal.

We're better off just keeping Stecher than moving him for Bogo.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

Lately, when I've watched the games, there are a efw players I see that need to move on before the Canucks a a serious contender. Maybe they're nit there yet, but just wanting to set foot into the playoffs, so Petey and Hughes get hungry for next year when they can maybe take another step. I wanted Toffoli here, but I didn't realize it would cost Madden and a 2nd+. That's really going to hurt if he re-signs in LA, or somewhere else. Madden and that 2nd are gone. But back to those players - Stecher has been a fairly poor Dman. He triesd hard, but this isn't a trying league. His gaffs in yesterday's game made it very difficult for the Canucks to win. Yes, I blame him for 1-2 goals. Why in Gaud's name aren't they bringing up Rafferty?

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's not going to happen.

If we're packaging Stecher for an upgrade, it would need to be something like Stecher + Virtanen (and perhaps a prospect) for a guy like Ristolainen, Severson etc with term left on a more expensive (but still reasonably affordable) deal.

We're better off just keeping Stecher than moving him for Bogo.

I personally have always been of the opinion that we should find a way to get Risto.  Stetcher + +  would be what we need to pay but I think he is worth it as we need some depth of the offensive side of D and he is signed for a little bit. 

Failing that, I don't think there it's the worst idea in the world to trade Stecher for a 2nd (Re-coup a pick) and trade Bogosian for Baer.  They may need to retain 1mil to bring the salaries closer, but they get a player they can inject in their lineup and we get a player we can inject on the 3rd pairing.  

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I personally have always been of the opinion that we should find a way to get Risto.  Stetcher + +  would be what we need to pay but I think he is worth it as we need some depth of the offensive side of D and he is signed for a little bit. 

Failing that, I don't think there it's the worst idea in the world to trade Stecher for a 2nd (Re-coup a pick) and trade Bogosian for Baer.  They may need to retain 1mil to bring the salaries closer, but they get a player they can inject in their lineup and we get a player we can inject on the 3rd pairing.  

They'd have to retain whatever ='s out the salaries. And then we clear Baer's cap for next year. Now THAT makes more sense. Stecher straight across for BOGO however is just plain cook-a-doo.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They'd have to retain whatever ='s out the salaries. And then we clear Baer's cap for next year. Now THAT makes more sense. Stecher straight across for BOGO however is just plain cook-a-doo.

Completely agree, so in this theoretical case we remove Baer's cap and gain a second.  With retention to match it out and injection into a non Buffalo lineup, he may even have some trade value next year if we wanted to move him ourselves.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

It's funny how quickly the fanbase turns on a player once we trade some draft picks. Now that we "need" draft picks all of a sudden we have a problem with Stecher. Lol. Guy is one of 2 players on our blueline that actually plays defense and on top of that has some intensity. He is a competitor. The d-man Hansen in my books. The idea you can't win in the playoffs cause of a hardworking, defensively responsible 3rd pairing d-man is 5'10 190 pounds is easily the most idiotic thing I seen lately. I never watched a Canucks game and thought, "wow Stecher is getting bullied out there". 

Sure throw the guy away going into the playoffs for Rafferty that I am sure none of you have watched play but you seen his hockeydb page. Lets waive/trade Roussel and throw Boucher in there too while we're at it.

Edited by N7Nucks

Ultimately if we traded Stecher and whatever it takes to get Ristolainen (Could need Virtanen or Joulevi which I would try and avoid at all costs if possible) and Tryamkin came back I would have a hard time finding a D group in the league that I like better than:

Edler (6'3) Ristolainen (6'4)

Hughes (5'10) Tanev (6'2)

Tryamkin (6'7) Myers (6'7)

Give us lots of options on combos too:

Huges Ristolainen

Edler Myers

Tryamkin Tanev 

and so on......

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It's funny how quickly the fanbase turns on a player once we trade some draft picks. Now that we "need" draft picks all of a sudden we have a problem with Stecher. Lol. Guy is one of 2 players on our blueline that actually plays defense and on top of that has some intensity. He is a competitor. The d-man Hansen in my books. The idea you can't win in the playoffs cause of a hardworking, defensively responsible 3rd pairing d-man is 5'10 190 pounds is easily the most idiotic thing I seen lately. I never watched a Canucks game and thought, "wow Stecher is getting bullied out there". 

Sure throw the guy away going into the playoffs for Rafferty that I am sure none of you have watched play but you seen his hockeydb page. Lets waive/trade Roussel and throw Boucher in there too while we're at it.

I don't think anyone's 'turning' on Stecher. I'd imagine most would agree he's a solid young D.

But the writing's on the wall that he's likely going to price himself off our 3rd pair next year. That in combination with the high prices seemingly being paid out this TDL and it only makes sense to explore what you can get for him.

We have Benn and Fanta to play 3rd pair if we did move him, as well as Rafferty, Brisebois, Juolevi, Sautner and likely Tryamkin returning to fill in if need be.  That said, your right. With the playoffs, it's probably more likely we move his rights in the summer.

Besides, I see a lot more people discussing packaging him for an upgrade vs moving him for picks. Or things like Kobayashi's plan to use him to move Baer's cap space for next year.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

Stecher needs to tell the team that he is willing to sign a 2-3 extension for $1.5M per year but with NMC. I predict that Stecher may join his old D partner Hutton in L.A.

This is one of the best posts in this thread,

(Save the part about the NMC)  Not that an NMC is necessary. See Biega. Benning is pretty loyal to his foot soldiers. And the actual number probably sits higher than $1.5 mill. Maybe around the figure Benn is getting?  The concept, sign less than QO spot on!

Just now, aGENT said:

I don't think anyone's 'turning' on Stecher. I'd imagine most would agree he's a solid young D.

But the writing's on the wall that he's likely going to price himself off our 3rd pair next year. That in combination with the high prices seemingly being paid out this TDL and it only makes sense to explore what you can get for him.

We have Benn and Fanta to play 3rd pair if we did move him, as well as Rafferty, Brisebois, Juolevi, Sautner and likely Tryamkin returning to fill in if need be.  That said, your right. With the playoffs, it's probably more likely we move his rights in the summer.

Besides, I see a lot more people discussing packaging him for an upgrade vs moving him for picks. Or things like Kobayashi's plan to use him to move Baer's cap space for next year.

Two lefties is not happening on the bottom pair. It hasn't happened by this coaching staff with any regularity. I don't care how many left D we have. We aren't trading Stech to run Fanta/Benn on the bottom pair. neither of which even solidified themselves as a regular on the 3rd pair this season. Trading Stecher is idiotic as is the reasoning for it. Trade picks for a roster player just to trade a roster player for picks? 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Two lefties is not happening on the bottom pair. It hasn't happened by this coaching staff with any regularity. I don't care how many left D we have. We aren't trading Stech to run Fanta/Benn on the bottom pair. neither of which even solidified themselves as a regular on the 3rd pair this season. Trading Stecher is idiotic as is the reasoning for it. Trade picks for a roster player just to trade a roster player for picks? 

Benn plays both sides, and has actually played better on his off side.

I don’t see ya moving Stecher unless we have a plan to upgrade that spot... but the Fantenberg-Benn issue is that they aren’t good enough, not that they are both lefties.  Tryamkin is another guy that plays predominantly on the other side.

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Absolutes are for fools.

Benn can and does play both sides (as does Tryamkin and Hughes for that matter). I don't think Green would hesitate if it came down to it.

Regardless, as I pointed out in my post, I'm doubtful we'd trade him outright for picks as well, at least not until the summer anyway.

But if he could be packaged to pick up a Ristolainen, Severson or similar, bye Troy.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Absolutes are for fools.

Benn can and does play both sides (as does Tryamkin and Hughes for that matter). I don't think Green would hesitate if it came down to it.

Regardless, as I pointed out in my post, I'm doubtful we'd trade him outright for picks as well, at least not until the summer anyway.

But if he could be packaged to pick up a Ristolainen, Severson or similar, bye Troy.

Not sure if it could fit cap wise, but imagine a Risto-Tryamkin paring. I'm drooling as I type.