The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

If it's an upgrade it makes sense, but I doubt we could find one. The only one on defense I've seen our name attached to is Martinez, but he's supposed to be going to Vegas already. Not to mention we'd almost certainly have to give up more futures to get him. All of those other options are considerably inferior to Stetcher if you're looking to win games down the line. 

I don't doubt it at all.

Nobody particularly had Miller on their radar prior to us trading for him, that seemed to work out pretty well. If Benning can find a similar deal for a top 4 D another team perhaps isn't planning on re-signing (a more expensive expiring RFA?) and isn't playoff bound, I'd not be opposed at all to sending Stecher + out.

Edited by aGENT

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

This, Tryamkin can play the right side just fine. Stetcher will be gone Monday or this summer.

Fanta back practicing, Tryamkin possibly returning, Brisebois, Juolevi, Suatner and Rafferty to recall should someone get hurt...

It's not like we don't have depth. 

And Rafferty doesn't have to come in an be expected to replace Stecher as some are posting. We could easily go with Edler, Hughes, Tanev, Myers, Benn and Fanta for our 6 starting D. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Toni Zamboni said:

was there some news that tryamkin is coming back that i missed...or are we just speculating?

Tryamkin's agent has said he wants to come back and the KHL season ends sooner than the NHL's. So people are putting 2 + 2 together that we may see him back sooner than later. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Unfortunately for stecher, the writing has been on the wall for a while. His heart and skill just isn't enough to stay invested in him, expecting a third, maybe second if something is added from our end

I don't think that's accurate at all. Stecher has skill and he's shown that he has heart. He's a very smooth skater, handles the puck well, has a reasonably good shot.

The problem is, we have too many other guys in the system who are cheaper, who all play a similar game. If there's any truth to the idea that Tryamkin is serious about coming here, I think there's 2 guys that will likely be moved. I think Stecher gets moved for either prospect or pick, (there will be a LOT of interest if he's on the market), and I don't think Benn will be here next season either. Both of them will be part of the ongoing retooling of our defense.

I think the biggest thing with Stecher is that we already have one smaller guy back there (Hughes), who is light years ahead of everyone else in talent. I think Benning wants our defense to be bigger and more punishing, and that equals Tryamkin. I believe signing him and bringing him back is a priority.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

was there some news that tryamkin is coming back that i missed...or are we just speculating?

He baits Canucks fans with an English Instagram account. It features him wearing Canucks gear and commenting on recent Canucks social media posts. Many have speculated that due to following the Canucks he would like to come back. As for anything substantive, there is not. 

• Cheers 2

People saying it's okay cause er have [Enter name of Left D here], I doubt the coaching staff will run a Lefty on the right side or vice versa. This team hasn't really done that since Erhoff/Edler, that I can recall. I doubt they'll do it with bottom pair talent like Benn, Fantenberg or potentially Tryamkin. If I am Benning I try find a home for Benn long before I entertain the idea of moving Stecher. Breezer, Sautner, Juolevi, Fanteberg, and Tryamkin all could fill his void, could even throw Teves in there AND Rathbone if he decides to go pro when the college season ends. But we have only Rafferty and maybe Chatfield, if you really value his game, to fill holes on the right side. 

Also this isn't really a rumor so much as it is speculation. There is nothing out there suggesting Stecher's name is on the block. Or at least that tweet in the OP is pure speculation.

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

People saying it's okay cause er have [Enter name of Left D here], I doubt the coaching staff will run a Lefty on the right side or vice versa. This team hasn't really done that since Erhoff/Edler, that I can recall. I doubt they'll do it with bottom pair talent like Benn, Fantenberg or potentially Tryamkin. If I am Benning I try find a home for Benn long before I entertain the idea of moving Stecher. Breezer, Sautner, Juolevi, Fanteberg, and Tryamkin all could fill his void, could even throw Teves in there AND Rathbone if he decides to go pro when the college season ends. But we have only Rafferty and maybe Chatfield, if you really value his game, to fill holes on the right side. 

Also this isn't really a rumor so much as it is speculation. There is nothing out there suggesting Stecher's name is on the block. Or at least that tweet in the OP is pure speculation.

If I remember correctly Tryamkin has been quoted as saying he prefers the right side. Of course, only JB and staff know if there is teeth to the Tryamkin rumoured return.

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

If I remember correctly Tryamkin has been quoted as saying he prefers the right side. Of course, only JB and staff know if there is teeth to the Tryamkin rumoured return.

That's well and nice, but the coaching staff has the final say on where you play. I am sure Virtanen would prefer playing with good players in the top 6 but that hasn't happened with any sort of regularity and seems more like a punishment to the guy he is replacing rather than coaching staff actually trusting him. Until I see this coaching staff actually try something like a LD on the right side I will doubt they move Stecher to put a lefty on the right.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

That's well and nice, but the coaching staff has the final say on where you play. I am sure Virtanen would prefer playing with good players in the top 6 but that hasn't happened with any sort of regularity and seems more like a punishment to the guy he is replacing rather than coaching staff actually trusting him. Until I see this coaching staff actually try something like a LD on the right side I will doubt they move Stecher to put a lefty on the right.

Tryamkin played a fair amount of right side for us, and successfully. I remember as he would crush guys trying to go outside on him. Check out Richardson for Arizona. Ouch.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Also, Rafferty is ready and a righty.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Eh, it's really not rocket science to deduce that if the Canucks are interested in keeping Tanev, Stetcher would be the one to go.

I know ive said it for months stetcher is the one that is going ,  just not worth the contract next year  , and easier to replace than tanev