The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

1 hour ago, kylecanuck said:

Unfortunately for stecher, the writing has been on the wall for a while. His heart and skill just isn't enough to stay invested in him, expecting a third, maybe second if something is added from our end

Why would Benning get rid of him for a pick right now.  My guess would be Stecher + for an upgrade on the backend.

• Upvote 1

If Ristolainen is the target he will be expensive to acquire.( doubt OJ is going the other way)

I'd love to add him, but at what cost?

Stecher + Woo +? +?

But maaaan that D would be the beef the NHL has needed.

Next year 

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussell Beagle Sutter 

Edler Myers 

Hughes Tanev 

Tryamkin Ristolainen 

Oj Rafferty 

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

Also, Rafferty is ready and a righty.

And if he or another righty gets injured? What if he isn't ready? Boucher is a beast in the AHL, we aren't trading Pearson or Roussel etc to make room for him. I just don't see it being wise trading Stecher right now with our right hand depth on D.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

If Ristolainen is the target he will be expensive to acquire.( doubt OJ is going the other way)

I'd love to add him, but at what cost?

Stecher + Woo +? +?

But maaaan that D would be the beef the NHL has needed.

Next year 

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussell Beagle Sutter 

Edler Myers 

Hughes Tanev 

Tryamkin Ristolainen 

Oj Rafferty 

I'd rather keep Stecher then bring in a defensive liability.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

And if he or another righty gets injured? What if he isn't ready? Boucher is a beast in the AHL, we aren't trading Pearson or Roussel etc to make room for him. I just don't see it being wise trading Stecher right now with our right hand depth on D.

I can't disagree with the depth angle as D are so important for playoff depth. Something has to give this summer cap wise. If Tanev stays, Stetcher has to go this summer. Is he worth anything at the draft as a pending RFA with arbitration rights? Tough call. Just would be nice to recover some picks.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather keep Stecher then bring in a defensive liability.

Ristolainen is an even this year after managing his minutes better instead of throwing him out every 2nd shift. Yet still leads his team for ice time per game by over 3 minutes a night still likely facing the tough competition. If Stecher is holding you back from wanting Ristolainen, then you're never going to be building a winning squad.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

I can't disagree with the depth angle as D are so important for playoff depth. Something has to give this summer cap wise. If Tanev stays, Stetcher has to go this summer. Is he worth anything at the draft as a pending RFA with arbitration rights? Tough call. Just would be nice to recover some picks.

I understand the draft pick stuff. It’s tough seeing our 1st and 2nd gone this year. But I think playoffs at this stage of our transition is more important than a 3rd/4th rounder. We have the foundational pieces, getting them that experience should be our top priority.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I understand the draft pick stuff. It’s tough seeing our 1st and 2nd gone this year. But I think playoffs at this stage of our transition is more important than a 3rd/4th rounder. We have the foundational pieces, getting them that experience should be our top priority.

Yip. A playoff appearance would do wonders for development. Even if we miss, these games down the stretch are a good experience. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

The Toffoli trade was to add goals. 

If we move Stetcher it will be to add size and toughness for a playoff push. 

My guess is this is part of a package to get Josh Manson from Anaheim. 

He would be a big help in terms of physicality for this team on the back end! 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kenhodgejr said:

The Toffoli trade was to add goals. 

If we move Stetcher it will be to add size and toughness for a playoff push. 

My guess is this is part of a package to get Josh Manson from Anaheim. 

He would be a big help in terms of physicality for this team on the back end! 

Myers would sure appreciate that add. It was Manson that rag dolled him right?

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

As much as I love Stecher, he plays a replaceable role on the team. The only thing we lose is depth, but even then, we can give Rafferty a look, maybe even Chatfield and worst case is Benn and Fantenberg could fill his spot for the time being and we can still have Sautner and Brisebois up in the pressbox as well. Bide some time until hopefully Tryamkin returns and we have a full compliment of depth back while giving some of the guys a look and give them some experience should we need to call upon them in the playoffs. We may even see Rathbone sign with us. If we are down so many dmen that our depth is that tested, most teams aren't going to able to manage that.

I'm fine with getting some value back for Stecher. The difference between him and Tanev is that Tanev plays a much bigger role that is harder to replace in such a short time. Stecher is averaging the least amount of TOI per game even less than Benn and Fantenberg (mostly because Stecher isn't used much on any special teams). He's dependable and a good guy, but from a playing standpoint, he's replaceable.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Myers would sure appreciate that add. It was Manson that rag dolled him right?

I wouldn't say rag dolled. Charged at Myers and got him off balance early. If they squared off properly, I doubt Manson rag dolls Myers. However, yes he was the one that took on Myers.

• Cheers 1