The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

2 hours ago, rekker said:

F you Dallas for not offering up at least a second for Hamhuis. Glad you lost out on a great dman that would of made a difference. 

wow, talk about holding a grudge forever

take a deep breath

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, brian42 said:

Not disagreeing with you that this is what they’re approach is but I would argue it is dumb but for the record I am in favor of the Toffoli deal if we can re-sign him. 

I agree letting guys with value walk for nothing July 1 is terrible asset management.  We aren’t extending Tofu.  Our cap is getting eaten up by other guys, so we can’t afford expensive reups.  Sad but true.  

4 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Not disagreeing with you that this is what they’re approach is but I would argue it is dumb. For the record I am in favor of the Toffoli deal if we can re-sign him. 

to me the approach is worry about the cap later but then we’re stuck with bad contracts and have to let our more impactful players leave worsening the team for the future.  The 2022-23 year will be a great year having already signed Marky, Hughes Petterson and all our bad contracts gone allowing us to add an impact player or two but I’m not saying we shouldn’t try until then. 

JB just better not sign any more bad ones.  We have some really good young players coming along.  We want to sign them.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If its Woo and Loui for Simmonds, thats something we'd have to do. 

Would cost more than Woo just to get rid of LE but I’d love that deal, we should be looking for ways to get out of some of these contracts - LE Baertschi Sutter Beagle 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brian42 said:

Would cost more than Woo just to get rid of LE but I’d love that deal, we should be looking for ways to get out of some of these contracts - LE Baertschi Sutter Beagle 

We have to dump those or we can’t resign Marky, Tanev and our RFAs.  

3 minutes ago, brian42 said:

if we make the playoffs you'll be happy we have Beagle. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I think a lot of names are being thrown around. I highly doubt Benning would trade Gaudette now, especially after he didn't for PK Subban. The Preds wanted Gaudette

Thrown by other teams I'd imagine.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if we make the playoffs you'll be happy we have Beagle. 

Beagle, Sutter, and Rooster are important veterans, but their cap costs mean guys like Hockey Gaud, Jake, and Stecher might be gone.  We are against the cap.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This coaching staff has not used lefties on the right side consistently outside of injury situations. Why do people keeping bringing up lefties as replacements for righties? And if an injury happens what is a 3rd round draft pick gonna do for us in the playoffs? Chatfield and Rafferty we don't even know if they can handle the NHL, let alone throwing them in right at the playoffs. It makes little sense, especially after trading picks for Toffoli. This isn't NHL 20 where players sell and buy simultaneously. Right hand depth on defense is way too thin to sell one of the few NHL caliber d-men we do have for a 3rd rounder of all things. I'd trade Stecher to upgrade our right d, not to recoup a mid round draft pick. Lol.

More reason to test out Rafferty and/or Chatfield. The insurance is to have Benn and/or Fantenberg play if they can fill in the 15 min average a night with no special teams that Stecher provides. Those guy have been talked about all summer as being capable of playing the right side if need be. If/when Tryamkin returns, he's a leftie that has almost exclusively played on the right side. I imagine that won't change if/when he returns and thus fills back the compliment of "RD" for depth while upgrading in size for the playoffs and for "free".

We traded a 3rd round pick last draft as part of a trade that helped us add a top 6 player. Tryamkin was drafted with a 3rd round pick. Madden was a 3rd round pick that was utilized in acquiring Toffoli. The 3rd round pick might not help us in the playoffs this year, but has potential to help us in the future. And I think Stecher's 15 mins will be replaceable. This is coming from someone that has been completely against trading Tanev this year for picks because Tanev is not easily replaceable and will be more key for any playoff success. A 3rd for Stecher is very good value especially since we signed him for free and he's an undersized guy in the role that he plays. If it's available I'll take it. Of course I'd explore other options as well, but I'm comfortable with a 3rd.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Beagle, Sutter, and Rooster are important veterans, but their cap costs mean guys like Hockey Gaud, Jake, and Stecher might be gone.  We are against the cap.  

hmm, not really. If you look ahead on the capfriendly site its not quite as dire as people make it out to be. Stech is probably gone because of Tryamkin and Rafferty. If Nik doesn't work out Rafferty is the backup.

AG is going to get a bridge, and not a massive one. Jake's due a raise tho. 

46 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Not sure Id do that we have guys that can fill in but there would be a bit of a drop off, I’d hold out for a 2 and I think we could get it. 

Hard to say if it's a drop off as we need to see them play first. Stecher is basically playing the #6 role right now and if someone can't step into that role coming from the AHL, then we need to consider their future with our team as well. With that said, we have insurance in that Benn and Fantenberg are capable of playing the right (Hughes can as well if needed). This could all be temporary for if/when Tryamkin returns and suddenly IMO we will have an upgrade in that position.

The reason I'm less concern is consider guys like Fabbro and Makar who joined their teams straight from college and jumping into a playoff run. Now of course Rafferty/Chatfield/Tryamkin are not that level of potential, they are also stepping into a lesser role than those guys did. Stecher's minutes are very manageable to shelter someone if needed.

If we can get a 2nd for Stecher, then go bananas, but I doubt it. DeMelo was playing nearly 19 minutes a night and was a main PKer, albeit on a weaker team, but Stecher is not getting a ton of minutes with us. DeMelo is a good bottom pairing guy on a good team much like what I think Stecher is and Troy may even be a smidge below.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

The only way I sign off on a Stecher deal is if we get a upgrade at the right D spot in another trade. Severson would be a nice add and could replace Tanev next season if need be. Would bolster our run this season and in future seasons. But just trading Stecher for the sake of a 3rd round pick is ass backwards.

Agreed... Stecher has been playing top 4 minutes for 3rd pairing dollars.  Qualifying him isn’t expensive and is a good back up plan in case we can’t afford Tanev or a suitable replacement in the summer.