The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would you welcome back?

CBH1926

Who would you like to see back?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

It's also not up to "us" to police it (that's a board rule, too, btw).  If there's a problem, PM a mod, don't be an a-hole to the guy.  SF was not a stranger.  To my knowledge, prior to the event, he was no more trolling than trading jabs with friends.  Did anyone complain to a mod then? 

When SHTF over the non-goal, that's when people lost it.  I've heard a variety of reasons defending the attacks, and so far not one of them is all that reasonable, IMO.  When he was defending himself, he may have crossed a line, "antagonizing", if you will. But he wasn't the first to cross the line.

Agreed we should report other teams’ fans trolling our boards.  Maybe that’s what happened to Sabre and he got the perma ban?  That’s an easy call for a mod.  No need to divine intent.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Can a true fan have more than one team?  I’d say if a poster has more than one team they are not a true fan of any team, because they are not (by their own actions) fanatical.  Regardless it’s our board, so any fan would have to post from our fans’ point of view or they would be antagonistic, hence trolling.  

lol That's like saying you must love one of your children more than the others. Yeah we don't need people who are "fanatical". The world has enough of those type of people.

Your skin is way too thin, if you can't handle a respectful opposing point of view.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Agreed we should report other teams’ fans trolling our boards.  Maybe that’s what happened to Sabre and he got the perma ban?  That’s an easy call for a mod.  No need to divine intent.  

He is not banned.  He chooses to be absent.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

What defines a true fan?  Are the people here begging for Green to be fired a true fan?  or the ones slagging any number of Canucks?

There is no single point of view when it comes to being a fan.

True fans have a 

love/hate relationship with one team.  Sabre loved his team but only liked us.  

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

lol That's like saying you must love one of your children more than the others. Yeah we don't need people who are "fanatical". The world has enough of those type of people.

Your skin is way too thin, if you can't handle a respectful opposing point of view.

That’s where we differ my wrong colour of Kool aid.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sabre loved his team but only liked us.  

That should make him pretty welcome.  It's not like he was being a tool the whole time (or much of it, for that matter).

How do you live with a Leafs' fan under the same roof?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Kragar said:

And he admitted that he could have handled it better, himself.  He does not suggest himself blameless in this.

I, for one, suggest that he was clearly of lesser blame.  If he was some newbie, one who has not gained the trust of many veteran posters here, CDC reaction would have been somewhat more justified (although not terribly friendly?).  It's not like he was arguing opinion.  He was able to see the obvious truth, explained he was watching a different feed, while we didn't see that evidence in a timely manner.  Reminds me a little of "Hands up don't shoot"

People here should have been angry with Sportsnet.  Not Sabrefan.  Instead of chewing his head off, people should have waited it out.  For a number of people, that did not occur.  Had SF not fought back, sure, it would have been quieter.  But who wouldn't have fought back, in a similar situation?

Sabrefan started chewing the head off fans right away , so what does he expect back ? ,  maybe he should of backed off but he didn't   that was his choice to keep going at it  and he made it his choice to leave ,  , You make it ok for sabre fan to fight back but when  others do they are in the wrong? ,   don't make it like we owe him something because we don't  

5 minutes ago, Toews said:

Trolling is not a rule that just applies against just Canucks fans. How would the mods know that we are all indeed fans of the Canucks? Besides rules are only rules if they apply to everyone with no exceptions. So antogonizing anyone is against the rules, now the mods do give us a little leeway as discussions do get heated. Also I concur with @Kragar that its not our business to police this forum. The mods do a good job of getting rid of troublemakers and even they get second chances to prove that they can change their behaviour. Don't engage with a troll. Don't call someone a troll who might be trolling. Just report them and move on and let the mods make the determination if it deserves to be considered trolling. Anything else usually derails a thread and ruins discussions. 

Sabre announced he’s a Sabre fan.  Lots of posters here have announced their love of other teams.  It’s the moderator’s job to keep this board “safe” for true Canuck’s fans.  Sabre was a true Sabre fan.  

I always get a kick out of people who believe they are the arbiter of what denotes a "true fan"....

....it's reminiscent of a line Monty Python might use: "You can't be in the PFJ, because you don't hate the Romans enough".....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, the grinder said:

Sabrefan started chewing the head off fans right away , so what does he expect back ? ,  maybe he should of backed off but he didn't   that was his choice to keep going at it  and he made it his choice to leave ,  , You make it ok for sabre fan to fight back but when  others do they are in the wrong? ,   don't make it like we owe him something because we don't  

People generally "fight back" when they get attacked. Was he defending himself or was was he tossing out insults because he didn't agree with someone?

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I always get a kick out of people who believe they are the arbiter of what denotes a "true fan"....

....it's reminiscent of a line Monty Python might use: "You can't be in the PFJ, because you don't hate the Romans enough".....

There is only one true Scottsman.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Toews said:

People generally "fight back" when they get attacked. Was he defending himself or was was he tossing out insults because he didn't agree with someone?

he tossed a few insults out  , he was a bit abrasive  when he replied back to my post  but  oh well  I have seen and dealt with worse 

Edited by the grinder

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sabre announced he’s a Sabre fan.  Lots of posters here have announced their love of other teams.  It’s the moderator’s job to keep this board “safe” for true Canuck’s fans.  Sabre was a true Sabre fan.  

LOL Come on Alf. You want a "safe space" to be a Canucks fan.

Sounds like something one of those wimps at Berkeley say when they chase off anyone with an opposing point of view.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, the grinder said:

Ahhh, no, he did not.  He (and his city) were mocked well before he said anything at all untowards. Even his questionable statements (barring anything that was deleted by Mod) didn't measure up to what came his way, IMO.

There was at least two other people pointing out it was not a goal.  All before it got heated with SF.  None of them were antagonized, beyond a couple confused emojis.  Care to explain why those people were left unscathed?

If he was spewing opinion like fact, pissing people off, that would have been a completely different story.  People here were seeing what they wanted to see, with limited perspective, and ruling out plenty of reasonable alternatives to their perceptions.  The net moves all the time... sticks or players brush up against it regularly.  Goalie moving from side to side can lift the post, making the netting move.  Shot angles make all the difference.  There have been offsides and goals that looked completely clear cut given the main angle, but get close up or change the shot angle, and the truth is made clear.  I would guess any regular hockey fan has seen it more than once.  Why would this instance be any different?

Holy cow, if I was participating at that time, piling on like so many others, I would have been extremely embarrassed come intermission (or, sooner, looking at a clip posted in the thread).  Yet to this day there are some people defending themselves in this.  Wow.

31 minutes ago, the grinder said:

he tossed a few insults out  , he was a bit abrasive  when he replied back to my post  but  oh well  I have seen and dealt with worse 

It must have been particularly nasty and therefore deleted,  cuz there are no posts of him replying to you after Boeser took the shot.

I do see that there are plenty of people who apologized though.  I guess a bunch of people figured it out themselves that he was owed something.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Nobody said anything about turning the other cheek. I'm saying the fact that he exists doesn't constitute trolling. And if we rib him over the Sabres he's not allowed to fire back? Assuming nobody crosses the line, it's not an issue. There's a big difference between banter in a game thread and a fan of a rival team making an account here just to flame.

The "you can't be a fan before any other team" is perplexing. The only team in sports I ride or die for is the Canucks. But if I'm watching, say the Hurricanes play the Leafs, I'm expected to be completely neutral and indifferent to the outcome? I couldn't post in a Hurricanes GDT cheering them on because the Canucks are "my" team? 

Part of the reason CDC is considered such a cesspool is because of the tendency to bully anyone off the site who doesn't toe the line. I'm aware this is a Canucks board, but I welcome hearing from fans of other teams and getting a different point of view, assuming they're respectful, which despite Sabrefan allegedly blowing his top in that thread, in my experience he always was. My skin is not so thin that a gentle ribbing at a hockey team I like is going to give me conniptions.

He’s a Sabres fan.  No reason to be here other than to troll.  Glad he’s gone, and wish several other Canuck haters who troll here would get banned too.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He also said that he was a Canucks fan and they were his second team. Sorry Alf but what you are advocating for is a "safe space" and those are for snowflakes. Those are also the worst possible platforms for discussion as anyone dissenting is ostracized and brow-beat into submission. Imagine a board full of thousands of Canucks fans and we need to be protected from a a few fans from other teams... We can't engage with them intellectually? Those that don't argue in good faith (aka. legit trolls) usually get tossed eventually by the mods anyways. I love this place the way it is, why change something that isn't broken? 

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s a Sabres fan.  No reason to be here other than to troll.  Glad he’s gone, and wish several other Canuck haters who troll here would get banned too.  

There are plenty of reasons to be here.  There are lots of things to talk about here.  Having an opposing fan or two in GDT can be fun.  He is not the only person whose first team is not the Canucks, and we are better off for having them here.  We get insight into the other teams that most of us would not know.

SF was never a Canuck hater.

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

There are plenty of reasons to be here.  There are lots of things to talk about here.  Having an opposing fan or two in GDT can be fun.  He is not the only person whose first team is not the Canucks, and we are better off for having them here.  We get insight into the other teams that most of us would not know.

SF was never a Canuck hater.

Yep.  A little healthy trash talk is fun, as long as we don't absolutely hate the team of the fan in question.  We're lucky our main rivals are Edmonton and Calgary, so most of their fans can't read, let alone operate a computer.

• Haha 1