The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 19, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Green can F right off 

he starts Loui on line 1 and sits out McEwen 

Hughes plays his absolute heart out and has be planted on the bench in the shootout. 

did Green not see his breakaway hands in the all star game 

meanwhile he lets Bo and Pearson shoot after Both playing poor games 

But, but, but Greens a great coach.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

it's possible. 

I lied Cal currently hold the series lead 2-1 with one game remaining against them

if we lose that game the Canucks would have to stay 1 point above Calgary

if the Canucks win that game the canucks would hold the tie breaker 

The greater differential between goals for and against (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the DIFF column. The greater differential between goals for and against (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the DIFF column.

The Canucks have this tie breaker by 20 goals currently 

Canucks are plus 10 Cal a minus 10

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’ve been saying this for years but somehow I’m dumb?

We’re both dumb, but you must be dumber.  I’ve only been on the replace Green train for a couple months.  :lol:

Sadly Green is here until the end of this season.  IMO we are missing the playoffs though, and the I think Green and JB are both gone.  

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, luckylager said:

A beautiful conflict between your user name and message. It speaks perfectly to the masses of Canucks fans, those of us wondering - what exactly happened to Bo?

It's like the C is so heavy he can't carry the team on his back anymore. There's this oomph missing from his game since he got the letter. All nicey, nicey pooh-pooh out there. He doesn't seem as determined to do whatever it takes to win.

We all wanted Bo to be captain because he used to lead by example, throw the team on his back and leave it all out there. Play with jump and fire. But he's just playing like a clone lately. No passion

He's gotta wake up. Not saying I don't still love the guy, but he's gotta get back to playing with the kind of drive that got him that letter.

I'm guessing trying to Captain this team is an enormous task for him. Give him some time to adapt. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We’re both dumb, but you must be dumber.  I’ve only been on the replace Green train for a couple months.  :lol:

Sadly Green is here until the end of this season.  IMO we are missing the playoffs though, and the I think Green and JB are both gone.  

Even if we make the playoffs we will have our butts kicked, not only on the scoreboard but more importantly, physically. I hope Green is gone, we have some great talent that I’d love to see be unleashed.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Canucks deserved a better fate. As for the shoot out every time I see a player lolygaging in I just roll my eyes as I know they won’t score 99% of the time. Speed kills. Go in as fast as you can at a slight angle not a big slow curve. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Green is a great coach, JB is a genius, and we’re headed to a Cup this spring?  

1. Not yet.

2. Probably.

3. Who ever thought that?  Nice to dream, but I wasn't ever counting on seeing them get that far. :)

• Huggy Bear 1

47 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

I feel like hes trying to be very Henrik Sedin like out on the ice. You can see it in his media scrums.

He needs to lead his way with a bit more jam and grit. I wanna see him take a roughing penalty at least. This is the time where he needs to put the team on his back and everyone follows but nothing.

To be honest I feel like JT Miller plays and speaks more like a captain thn Bo does.

I love Bo but he really needs to bring it.

Needs to realize that henrik could be like that out there because he was an elite offensive talent ,one of the best passers to play the game . Bo will never be close to that and needs to become that bull in a china shop.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I hate playin the Mild..but at least these tilts aren't as ugly/dreadful as recent yrs past.

That lil' F***, Fiala knew what he was doing. Break another leg there buddy(IR for another yr).

I honestly hate Galchenyuk more. That mofo has been scoring on the Canucks since his Montreal days. The guy is a plug this year and he only got his 6th goal this season tonight. And yet, that mofo scores against the Canucks.

2 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I honestly hate Galchenyuk more. That mofo has been scoring on the Canucks since his Montreal days. The guy is a plug this year and he only got his 6th goal this season tonight. And yet, that mofo scores against the Canucks.

Chucky, like Fiala, is another guy who is known to disappear when it’s hard to get ice and will not battle if there’s a need to.  We are letting guys like this off the hook by playing a passive system.  We need to be hard on the body of especially these kinds of players.  

Tippet has the Oilers playing the right way.  Trots has the Islanders playing the right way.  Elite skilled guys will play the right way if they are coached to do so, they respect the coach’s knowledge, and they know they (and all their teammates) are accountable to their coach if they don’t play the right way,  

3 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

With the way the bounces were going tonight I'm just happy we got a point...

Life could be a hell of a lot worse. At least we're not Leafs fans.

To become a Leaf’s fan don’t you need to drill a hole in your head and suck out half your brain?  Or is that a Bruin’s fan?  

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

If you look at the Magic number thread you will notice it is based on odds

Yes a team that is not currently holding down a playoff spot could make the playoffs if they were to go on a winning streak, however the odds of 2-3 teams doing so are very low. 

Right now Ari is the only team at a high risk of losing their spot to Nash, this is due to Nash game in hands, Next would be Calgary and they could be knocked out by Win,

Really as long as we out pace Cal and Ari there is no possible way for Nash or Win to knock Van out of the Pac division, Nash and Win are both central teams

Right now Calgary would have to surpass Vancouver and then Vancouver would have to be out paced by both Win and Nash 

lol then u can't just say vancouver will make the playoff even if they play 1 game below .500... coz really.. all the teams below vancouver just needs to win 1 or 2 more games than the canucks down the stretch.. let's just look at nashville the team lowest in points that have a chance.. assuming they win that 1 game in hand.. they just need to win 2 more games than the canucks.. if u are saying canucks can play 1 game below .500.. nashville only needs to be 1 game above .500 to surpass.. nor is 1 game below .500 will out pace calgary or arizona.. we still have a bunch of head to head games against those teams.. we haven't even fare great against arizona or winnipeg.. so nothing is guranteed lol

12 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Stech is going through a rough stretch. I can only handle one of him or Benn dressing in a game.

I dont normally pile on Eriksson but he was invisible tonight minus missing the wide open net. 

12 hours ago, Dogcrazy said:

An average Markstrom means trouble for us.  

12 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Motte was excellent in his first game back. He's really grown on me the past few years. 

12 hours ago, FijianCanuck said:

I blame the 730 start. Also Hughes should be a shootout option

I was at the game tonight. Here are some late comments.

1. One of the highlights was the "top dog" race. Loved it. But I think Gus Horvat should have been given a head start. ::D

2. Like a lot of other people, I made a point of watching Toffoli. He had a good first shift, playing with energy. Obviously he wanted to make a good impression. But for the rest of the first period and in the second it did not look like he had much chemistry with Miller and EP. At the beginning of the third I was thinking that this is where Green might shake things up and move Virtanen to play with EP and move Toffoli to play with Pearson and Horvat, dropping Eriksson down to the third line. But Green kept the lines stable. In his first shift in the 3rd period, Toffoli made a nice play to pick up the puck in his own end and made a great pass to Miller who rang a shot off the post. Later that shift, Miller deflected a slap pass from Toffoli for a goal, and that line played well from then on, including Miller's second goal. I was also pleased to see Toffoli get in the face of a Minnesota player who made a high hit on EP. Overall, Toffoli played a good game, including 4 shots and being credited with 2 hits. Whether people like the trade or not (and I don't) we can't complain about his performance in his first game. And he should only improve as he gets used to playing with EP and Miller.

3. Motte is back. I was interested to see the Beagle line (with Motte) start the game -- getting the shutdown job to start. I have commented that since late November, the Horvat line has had the lion's share of shutdown duty. Some people has said that the Beagle line "shared" the shutdown role. That is not true. At least the "sharing" is far from equal. I have checked the numbers on Natural Stat Trick after almost every game. In some games the Horvat line would get maybe 6 or 7 minutes of shutdown time and EP and Beagle would each get maybe 3 to 4. But sometimes, Horvat would get 9 or 10 minutes and Beagle would get 1 or 2. That was the range. Tonight Horvat had 7 minutes, EP had 4 minutes, and Beagle had 3 minutes against Staal.  But, the point I want to make is that Motte was good. The line did better with Motte than it has recently without him.  Also, Motte played with Beagle on the 1st PK unit. Tonight Motte made an excellent play on the PK to get the puck to Hughes coming out of the box. Hughes made a great play to get the puck to Beagle for a tap-in for the first Canuck goal. Motte also had 5 hits to lead the team. Glad to have him back. 

4. I did not particularly intend to watch Hughes but I could not help it as he was the best player on the ice tonight in my view (although Miller was also very good).Every time he is on the ice I end up saying to myself "that was a good play", "that was a great play", etc. And that includes defensive plays as well as offensive plays. Whether it is skating the puck out of trouble in the D-zone, making a good pass to exit the D-zone with control, outskating an opponent to get to the puck first AND taking the right angle to avoid an effective forecheck, he makes a lot of great D-zone plays. And his O-zone play is obvious. He led all skaters with over 27 minutes tonight, and he and Tanev had the primary shutdown role, logging about 9 minutes at 5-on-5 against the Staal ine. RIght now Hughes is doing a great job at both ends of the ice. He is amazingly good for a rookie and has to be a contender for 1st overall in the redraft from his year and possibly the favorite (as he is for the Calder race). And he might make a run at EP's Canuck rookie scoring record.  

5. The above comments are all positive. So how did the Canucks lose? Well, the Canucks were the better team overall, with more shots, more shot attempts, and, more importantly, more high danger chances. The margin was not huge and it was disappointing that the Canucks let the Wild mount a late charge to come back and tie the game in the third, But the Canucks played a solid game.

6. Markstrom was not up to his recent standard however. He made some good saves but all three goals were saves he could have made. The first shot of the game for the Wild scored, and it was a good shot, but Markstrom was not perfectly positioned. Normally in that situation the D (Tanev) takes away the pass and the goalie focuses on the shooter, but Marky was back in the net and cheating toward the middle. The other two goals were kind of unlucky and maybe there was not much Marky could do but they looked like the kind of play Marky might make when he is on top of his game, even the puck that bounced off Stecher's face. 

7. People are kind of tough of Stecher. He is going through a bit of a tough stretch but his play is not that bad. And the rumours about him being on the trade block probably do not help. Benn is the guy who been really struggling. He made a bad mistake on the first Minnesota goal -- going for a puck in the neutral zone, getting beat,  being out of position, and opening up the 2-on-1 that scored. He gets protected minutes (he was on the ice for only 27 seconds against the Staal line) and still gives up way too much defensively and contributes very little offensively.. His slow skating speed looks like an issue to me. I hope Fantenberg is healthy soon. (And, yes, Eriksson had a poor game and I agree that I would rather see Big Mac in there instead.)

8. Like everyone else I am kind of nervous about where the Canucks are right now. They are clinging to a playoff spot but obviously they need some wins soon, and they have a tough game coming up against Boston. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 3