The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 19, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

For a while I thought they were playing LE in gifted positions to showcase him - and for a bit he played better

But I am hoping if this was the case they stop now - cause it isn't making LE look good - imo

I don't think teams are other GM's wanted Loui to begin with. And after last night's miss on a wide open gaping net, I'm not sure if that changes, might actually devalue his trade worth even more, assuming there was value to begin with. 

• Upvote 1

I think shootouts sum up CDC really well.

When they win .... everybody is on cloud 9!  Yay!  No Issues with shootouts.

when they lose .... shootout sucks, get rid of it.   BOOOOOOO It's not enjoyable.

Personally, I'm glad it's not in the playoffs as I would hate for a series to end that way. 

As for entertainment.  I love it.  It's so nerve racking.  Every time there's a shooter it's nail biting time especially when the score is tied or you have to score.

As for this game:

The Canucks' played well to win this game.  Unlucky goal that tied it up.  Move on to the next game.  Boston is up next.  Should be a heavy game.

• Cheers 1

Also I love how everybody piles on Eriksson but don't say anything about the invisible man, Roussel. The guy has had 2 good periods this whole season. What happened to the guy? He doesn't even forecheck anymore. At least Louie will forecheck (while Bo and Pearson change lines again). 

• Like 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

tbh I'd like to see Miller-Petey-Jake, Pearson-Bo-TT as our top 6. Pearson and TT would be a harder matchup than Pearson-Bo-Loui. 

I think the recent trade and the line configurations strongly indicate that Management and coaches simply dont trust Jake.

The way I see it is this....if they viewed Jake as a legit option for that top line would they have spent considerable organizational currency to get Toffoli for what looks like might be a rental?  If they viewed Jake as an appropriate fit in for the last 25 or so games I doubt they would have traded one of their top prospects and a second rounder.

to get a fill in for Boeser.

Benning basically came out in his press conference and conceded the trade was made to fill in the hole created by the absence of BB.

They also dont trust him on the second line either.  That line is hinged to all of the important matchup duties and in my opinion coaches and management dont trust Jake to put him there.  Its not like they dont have the opportunity to play him on the second line.

I think if/when BB comes back we will see BB on the top line and Toffoli on the second line.   Jake will just live on the third line, which is a good option because him and Gaudette seem to work well together, especially against the other teams lesser d men and checking forwards.

10 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Also I love how everybody piles on Eriksson but don't say anything about the invisible man, Roussel. The guy has had 2 good periods this whole season. What happened to the guy? He doesn't even forecheck anymore. At least Louie will forecheck (while Bo and Pearson change lines again). 

a massive knee reconstruction. He's clearly not 100% yet. 

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think the recent trade and the line configurations strongly indicate that Management and coaches simply dont trust Jake.

The way I see it is this....if they viewed Jake as a legit option for that top line would they have spent considerable organizational currency to get Toffoli for what looks like might be a rental?  If they viewed Jake as an appropriate fit in for the last 25 or so games I doubt they would have traded one of their top prospects and a second rounder.

to get a fill in for Boeser.

Benning basically came out in his press conference and conceded the trade was made to fill in the hole created by the absence of BB.

They also dont trust him on the second line either.  That line is hinged to all of the important matchup duties and in my opinion coaches and management dont trust Jake to put him there.  Its not like they dont have the opportunity to play him on the second line.

I think if/when BB comes back we will see BB on the top line and Toffoli on the second line.   Jake will just live on the third line, which is a good option because him and Gaudette seem to work well together, especially against the other teams lesser d men and checking forwards.

I think you're correct, but I think Jake did prove himself. But my opinion is free. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Squandered a point against a team that played like Detroit tonight. Passive defense for the win. 

I don’t actually think Minny played that bad to be honest. I think that was close to their best effort.

We were playing at about 70% which obviously isn’t gonna cut it. Still better than the Ducks game though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you're correct, but I think Jake did prove himself. But my opinion is free. 

yeah im on the fence...im not saying I agree with what i think management is doing (not trusting jake etc). and for all we know Jake might keep improving year after year.  I hate to say this...I just dont know if Jake has it in him to keep up (game processing wise) with that top line , night in and night out.  Could be a fantastic fore checker, north south defensive sort of guy that can pop you 20 goals a year...but top line...im not so sure.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tunderwood said:

I had to go double check the standings the way this forum is reacting. 

This whole place is toxic because of some loud mouths who know less than they care to pretend. It's embarassing.

This team deserves a better fan interaction forum. 

Almost nobody here was predicting the Canucks to make the playoffs, and now if we aren't winning the division, you're up in arms... THAT is a huge statement on how well they have played and been coached thus far. But.. short term memory i suppose. 

The Canucks are 2nd in the division, down by 1 point, with games in hand on every team below us.

A better ROW than every team below us.

1st in Goal differential. 4th in the conference by the way. 

Tied for 1st in Wins. 4th in the conference. 

2nd best goals for in the conference.

5th best goals against in the conference. ............ Guess these last two really prop up that Markstrom is the only reason we win any games argument eh. 

Other than three powerhouse teams, one of which just won a stanley cup, the Canucks are one of the best teams in the conference. 

I don't really care about what you think you saw through your I HATE GREEN! FIRE EVERYONE! BENNING IS A JOKE! BLUGGH! Filter, because the fact is that this team is outperforming 90% of pre-season predictions. They are good again. Not great yet. AND they are outperforming the majority of the conference, nonetheless the division, in every team category that matters. So try to stop puking garbage, take a little breath, and enjoy the fact that in the first season that this new core has been given some tools, they are already a top 5 team in the conference. And if they don't happen to make it in this, their first season back to being a GOOD team, then hey, we have next season and the season after where they will have only grown into a better team, hopefully becoming one of those Powerhouse teams i just mentioned. Reel in the expectations and the childish angst. 

F'n Chill and help make this forum and this fanbase a little less embarassingly toxic. 

Sow down, slow down Tunderwood before you blow a gasket. ::D

I think you misunderstand the situation. Do you think those of us who have been around this team for most of its 50 year existence care whether we are doing fairly well in the REGULAR SEASON!!!!!!!!!!! I actually thought they had a good chance to make the playoffs barring any major injuries and knowing that there is so much parity in the league.

You are right in that we are currently in development of our young core and that's what a lot of us have concern about. We seen the passive, non-hitting, type of play from this team and seen it FAIL!!! We seen bad habits form and watch this team continuously lose games they should of won or at least should have never taken the foot off the gas with. We seen how we could have won championships before but there was always something missing. We have a great core here and they need to be developed the right way or we will go down a path we have seen fail before.

Who cares about one game or one season we want to see this team succeed and finally win a championship. SO you wait 40 or 50 years for your team to win and see how impatient you get.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

yeah im on the fence...im not saying I agree with what i think management is doing (not trusting jake etc). and for all we know Jake might keep improving year after year.  I hate to say this...I just dont know if Jake has it in him to keep up (game processing wise) with that top line , night in and night out.  Could be a fantastic fore checker, north south defensive sort of guy that can pop you 20 goals a year...but top line...im not so sure.

Jake has great tools but his hockey IQ is below average.  I am not sure they will ever be able to elevate that to allow him to play in the top 6.  NUmerous times last night he made poor puck decisions that led to easy turnovers and dangerous situations going the other way.  he has been with the big club long enough to have learned better but doesn't seem to be capable of processing the game fast enough to be reliable.

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I thought they actually played one of their best in the last 10 games.  Minny has been playing well, but the Canucks really took it to them.  Wasn't the best game for Marky or Petey.  Other than missing an easy goal, I'm not sure what all the Loui crying is about.........he was hard on the puck last night and had a very solid game.

The game I was watching he was the reason for the 2-1 goal as he couldnt move the puck out which led to the canucks chasing and finally getting scored on. Then he misses a wide open net, and I mean wide open. If your costing the teams mistakes like this it shouldn't matter how well you've played. Loui needs to be on the bench. 

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

Jake has great tools but his hockey IQ is below average.  I am not sure they will ever be able to elevate that to allow him to play in the top 6.  NUmerous times last night he made poor puck decisions that led to easy turnovers and dangerous situations going the other way.  he has been with the big club long enough to have learned better but doesn't seem to be capable of processing the game fast enough to be reliable.

i cant disagree with this...i think my post above was meant to be positive but if I examine the cold hard facts (from my subjective viewing experience of the games that is) i think you are correct.

i think of it this way too.

How easy would it have been to put Toffoli on that second line and Jake on the first line.  Toffoli has a history with Pearson, they played great together in the past.

If the brains behind the operations (management and coaches) thought Jake was a legit option for line 1 it would have been so easy to put Jake on line 1 and Tyler on line2.

Even if they didnt bring Toffoli here as a brock replacement (as benning conceded), their line combos say a lot about where they think Jake is at.

21 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Rousell played a good game last night he hit and had 4 shots on goal, he was the best on the 3rd line. like I have said before, in the beginning of the season Rousell was hitting a lot and was in front of the net a lot. but then dumb refs started  giving out reputation penalties to him. I remember one night he didn't even do anything, he was just standing there and he got a penalty, that is when he stopped being a pest whether by the coach asking him to cool it or he himself decided it. last night was one of his better games!!! 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Jake? Oh he got bumped down to the 3rd line in favor of LE, who is actually getting more minutes on the ice as well. ::D

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Now that’s what you call coaching.  Nicely done Green.  Nicely done.  

Hey Alf, I wonder where my friend aGENT is? I would like to hear more of his "expert opinion" on why LE should be playing on the 2nd line again?::D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tunderwood said:

I had to go double check the standings the way this forum is reacting. 

This whole place is toxic because of some loud mouths who know less than they care to pretend. It's embarassing.

This team deserves a better fan interaction forum. 

Almost nobody here was predicting the Canucks to make the playoffs, and now if we aren't winning the division, you're up in arms... THAT is a huge statement on how well they have played and been coached thus far. But.. short term memory i suppose. 

The Canucks are 2nd in the division, down by 1 point, with games in hand on every team below us.

A better ROW than every team below us.

1st in Goal differential. 4th in the conference by the way. 

Tied for 1st in Wins. 4th in the conference. 

2nd best goals for in the conference.

5th best goals against in the conference. ............ Guess these last two really prop up that Markstrom is the only reason we win any games argument eh. 

Other than three powerhouse teams, one of which just won a stanley cup, the Canucks are one of the best teams in the conference. 

I don't really care about what you think you saw through your I HATE GREEN! FIRE EVERYONE! BENNING IS A JOKE! BLUGGH! Filter, because the fact is that this team is outperforming 90% of pre-season predictions. They are good again. Not great yet. AND they are outperforming the majority of the conference, nonetheless the division, in every team category that matters. So try to stop puking garbage, take a little breath, and enjoy the fact that in the first season that this new core has been given some tools, they are already a top 5 team in the conference. And if they don't happen to make it in this, their first season back to being a GOOD team, then hey, we have next season and the season after where they will have only grown into a better team, hopefully becoming one of those Powerhouse teams i just mentioned. Reel in the expectations and the childish angst. 

F'n Chill and help make this forum and this fanbase a little less embarassingly toxic. 

best post I have ever read in this forum! 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

If Brock or Leivo was healthy, they would have taken that spot that currently belongs to Loui besides Bo. 

Feel bad for Horvat. You have this really nice and awesome player the organization just acquired in Toffoli, only for him to be playing with Petey and Miller. 

I hope Bo's career isn't that like the Sedins in the sense that they've never really had that they never had that winger - but instead a rotating set of wingers all throughout. 

Same for Kessler and Bure never had a consistent winger or center, but then again, he did OK by himself. :)

41 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

when they lose .... shootout sucks, get rid of it.   BOOOOOOO It's not enjoyable.

Personally, I'm glad it's not in the playoffs as I would hate for a series to end that way. 

As for entertainment.  I love it.  It's so nerve racking.  Every time there's a shooter it's nail biting time especially when the score is tied or you have to score.

As for this game:

The Canucks' played well to win this game.  Unlucky goal that tied it up.  Move on to the next game.  Boston is up next.  Should be a heavy game.

Even when they win, shootout still SUCKS. It has no place in the game.

39 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

As for this game:

I agree, I love it too, what I didn't love was seeing in ot , Marky getting run over, clear penalty, we would of had a chance to win  then, but refs decided otherwise.