The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 19, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

52 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm not there yet,  hard to always patient...that said he's turned things around with this team twice already this season - he's one guy who needs to be giving his 100% right now.   How things go the rest of the season will determine his future for sure.   The league is fickle and not everyone gets a second chance. Most don't get a chance at all. 

I was patient with Willy D for a time too. ::D

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Darius said:

i cant disagree with this...i think my post above was meant to be positive but if I examine the cold hard facts (from my subjective viewing experience of the games that is) i think you are correct.

i think of it this way too.

How easy would it have been to put Toffoli on that second line and Jake on the first line.  Toffoli has a history with Pearson, they played great together in the past.

If the brains behind the operations (management and coaches) thought Jake was a legit option for line 1 it would have been so easy to put Jake on line 1 and Tyler on line2.

Even if they didnt bring Toffoli here as a brock replacement (as benning conceded), their line combos say a lot about where they think Jake is at.

agreed.  IN addition, that management/coaching think LE is a better top 6 option than Jake speaks volumes about where Jake is in their pecking order. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

agreed.  IN addition, that management/coaching think LE is a better top 6 option than Jake speaks volumes about where Jake is in their pecking order. 

Maybe all Jake needs to do is complain to the media about Green and him not seeing eye to eye, and he'll get put back in the top 6.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Green makes player choices for lines.  We were winning with Jake on Petey’s wing.  Green changes that line and we start losing.  That’s on the coach, and not JB. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Darius said:

i cant disagree with this...i think my post above was meant to be positive but if I examine the cold hard facts (from my subjective viewing experience of the games that is) i think you are correct.

i think of it this way too.

How easy would it have been to put Toffoli on that second line and Jake on the first line.  Toffoli has a history with Pearson, they played great together in the past.

If the brains behind the operations (management and coaches) thought Jake was a legit option for line 1 it would have been so easy to put Jake on line 1 and Tyler on line2.

Even if they didnt bring Toffoli here as a brock replacement (as benning conceded), their line combos say a lot about where they think Jake is at.

I agree, I thought Jake played great when he was on the top line, he was producing and so was his line mates. I then thought it was the pressure to move Boes back up as why he was put back to the third line. Then injury struck Brock and Lui went back up and Jake remained on the 3rd line.

Its sad that they are treating Jake like that as I think he could be a great player for us and essential in a playoff run. Big body who can forecheck, skate and get the puck out of the corners for his linemates and can help out offensively. I guess that's not the direction the team wants to go in.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Darius said:

What I don't understand is how when Jake was on the top line he was producing a point per game over the 5ish games he was there. The team has started to flutter ever since Jake was taken off of the Pettersson line. I'm not saying that is the reason we have been inconsistent over the last 2 weeks but those events certainly coincided.

Totally agree on Toffoli's deployment. He looked good last night for sure but I would be curious to see him next to Horvat and Pearson with Jake on the top line or even try Jake on the second line, that 3rd line is an offensive black hole at the moment so we may as well put Eriksson there.

It is clear that we have gotten the most out of Jake when he plays with Pettersson and Miller, so why not try him in more offensive situations. I wonder as well why they wouldn't see him as an option there when he was performing so well.

EDIT: *puts on tinfoil hat* Unless Benning told Green to keep Jake on the third so he doesn't keep producing at the same rate and thus making him unaffordable this summer. He was on pace for 22-25goals if he were to stick on that top line

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I was patient with Willy D for a time too. ::D

Well maybe expectations for the team was a little too high back for then too.   There is a reason the top coaches all-time stay away from rebuilding teams.   TG  may or may not be our coach next year.   A lot of decent-to good coaches have been fired this year for various reasons.  From an outside perspective if we miss the playoffs but have made a modest improvement TG isn't the reason for that, the Canucks are just following the script - which is a 5-6th finish in our division.   Anything better then that and the rest of the hockey universe would consider us over performing.   On paper QH was an unknown - albiet high expectations but he's a rookie.  Aside from him we have three other guys Edler, Tanev and maybe Myers that would be considered second unit guys on half the teams in the league.   Not really a solid defense.  Upfront we are definitely sorted.   Who knows why LE isn't still sitting in the press box.  Maybe because last time we hit a rut that line carried the team?  Or maybe Alf is right and he's made a "gentlemens" agreement to retire after this league - but a condition of that is he's playing a big role.   TG has faced a lot of criticism.  So did Gallant and De Boer and that racist in CAL.  But those three teams were supposed to be 1,2,3 this year in our division.  At best we were supposed we to be a wild card team.  Most had us missing entirely.  So if we do the majority we're right.  Do think TG will lose his job if we don't make it - maybe before the season is finished out of desperation.   But don't really think we'd do a whole lot better with most other coaches either.   See our defense again.  Middling at best and without QH and Myers - near the bottom like it's been during this entire rebuild. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Shoot outs...what a crap idea.

Hey I know, let's lawn bowl for the win.

Ugh.  Fix auto mother duck.

oh remember when everyone was in love with shoot out?

Its a gimmick league because the fans LOVE the gimmicks...

until they realise that their team isn't good at the gimmick, then its the gimmicks fault.

there was 8:45 time to score after the game was tied, did you like how the Canucks ramped up their intensity to put the game away?

ya, me neither

• Haha 1

Said this last night, also saw someone else post this today ...

The Wild have been hot since the start of year. They beat Dallas twice, the Jets, Lightning, Knights, and have been close in most of their losses in 2020. 

Last night's game wasn't going to be easy given how the Wild have been playing. They've been giving everyone trouble lately.

12 hours ago, Kragar said:

Fack the refs bigtime.  How those two high sticks get missed, especially Huggy in OT is absolute BS.  Canucks should have had a 4 min power play in OT, woulda likely ended it right there.

State of hockey my butt.  Watching Wild hockey could cure insomnia.

I did like huggy playing with blood drpping down his face

Kind of surprized the Zs didn't send him off the ice

• Upvote 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Marky wasn’t in that game at all.  His head was clearly elsewhere.  Could JB announcing publicly that contact talks with Marky had broken off?  

I don't know about not being in the game at all, The first goal was a deflection off of Tanevs stick, the second was because of a bad line change and weak back check by Toffoli, and the third one, what can you do about that, deflecting off of Stetchers face, just a fluky goal, those happen, he did look a little twitchy in the shoot out, and that could be because he hasn't played in a week. For all we know it was his agent who shut down the contract negotiations, we just don't know.  

Little late to the party on the PGT, but have to ask

What is going on with Virtanen and Roussel? They look so disinterested in not only playing for this team, but playing hockey in the NHL in general. For energy guys they sure know how to suck the life out of a line, and a building. I would not be sad to see either go in the next 4 days for any kind of physical improvement

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, mikkim said:

I don't know about not being in the game at all, The first goal was a deflection off of Tanevs stick, the second was because of a bad line change and weak back check by Toffoli, and the third one, what can you do about that, deflecting off of Stetchers face, just a fluky goal, those happen, he did look a little twitchy in the shoot out, and that could be because he hasn't played in a week. For all we know it was his agent who shut down the contract negotiations, we just don't know.  

Maybe that did affect him. especially if they are not close. Benning has to decide quickly or he may lose both goalies, mentally.

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Little late to the party on the PGT, but have to ask

What is going on with Virtanen and Roussel? They look so disinterested in not only playing for this team, but playing hockey in the NHL in general. For energy guys they sure know how to suck the life out of a line, and a building. I would not be sad to see either go in the next 4 days for any kind of physical improvement

Don't know about that, in the 12 or 13 minutes of icetime they did their role just fine, their role is not to be scored on, that is their first priority.

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

Maybe that did affect him. especially if they are not close. Benning has to decide quickly or he may lose both goalies, mentally.

What affected him? he really didn't have that bad a game other than the shoot out, that could be from sitting for a week, getting run like he did with no call, I know it was probably his agent saying keep playing the way you have been and you'll be set for life, we just don't know

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well maybe expectations for the team was a little too high back for then too.   There is a reason the top coaches all-time stay away from rebuilding teams.   TG  may or may not be our coach next year.   A lot of decent-to good coaches have been fired this year for various reasons.  From an outside perspective if we miss the playoffs but have made a modest improvement TG isn't the reason for that, the Canucks are just following the script - which is a 5-6th finish in our division.   Anything better then that and the rest of the hockey universe would consider us over performing.   On paper QH was an unknown - albiet high expectations but he's a rookie.  Aside from him we have three other guys Edler, Tanev and maybe Myers that would be considered second unit guys on half the teams in the league.   Not really a solid defense.  Upfront we are definitely sorted.   Who knows why LE isn't still sitting in the press box.  Maybe because last time we hit a rut that line carried the team?  Or maybe Alf is right and he's made a "gentlemens" agreement to retire after this league - but a condition of that is he's playing a big role.   TG has faced a lot of criticism.  So did Gallant and De Boer and that racist in CAL.  But those three teams were supposed to be 1,2,3 this year in our division.  At best we were supposed we to be a wild card team.  Most had us missing entirely.  So if we do the majority we're right.  Do think TG will lose his job if we don't make it - maybe before the season is finished out of desperation.   But don't really think we'd do a whole lot better with most other coaches either.   See our defense again.  Middling at best and without QH and Myers - near the bottom like it's been during this entire rebuild. 

SO many good points that I cannot comment on them all. Going into the season we had Petey into his 2nd year and a Hughes we had high hopes for but ???. Going into the last 20 games we now know we have a premium rear guard in the league and a young center who is scary at 1 ppg and getting better. Add Miller and now TT. The biggest challenge Benning has now is making significant improvements on the d-side. He needs 2 more top 4 d-men IMO. That might take a year or two if left to the prospect pool. Vancouver will become a destination for UFA's who want another CUP shot. I still think this group will make playoffs. Even with a 1 round and out the experience will be great for the group. Canucks are building towards 2023 and unless there is a serious falloff I do not see Benning or Green going anywhere.