The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

I see no reason (from the outside looking in) why he wouldn't want to re-sign with us. His career has never been better, Vancouver is one of the nicest cities in the league, he has fit right in, and the team is up.and coming.

I am sure we will try to retain him so I just hope he doesn't try solely to chase the money as I am not sure we can afford to pay him what he could probably get elsewhere.

Toffoli is 4 sesasons removed from his 31 goal 58 point campaign. Last year he posted just 13 goals and 34 points over a full 82 game season. This year he had 44 in 68. I wonder what he signs for?

Complimentary First Line Players

Zuccarello was basically a sure bet 50 point player with a career coming off of 40 points in 48 games (68 point pace) and signed for 6 million per year for 5 years. Nyquist was coming off of a 60 point season and signed 4 years 22 million (5.5 million). 

You also have Dzingel who signed 2 years 6.75M after a 60 point season, Connolly 4 years 13M after 46 points and Donskoi 4 years 15.6M after 37 points. 

Out of the players on this list I would probably compare him most to Nyquist. As shown with Dzingel making less than Donskoi despite nearly double the points a more well-rounded player like Toffoli is going to want a premium. 

I don't see him as a 6 million dollar player but I'd bet on 6 years at 5.5 million would be the going rate for Toffoli. 

8 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I don't see him as a 6 million dollar player but I'd bet on 6 years at 5.5 million would be the going rate for Toffoli. 

I would not sign him for over 4 years or for more than $5 mill.

imo he is a decent 2nd line winger, can play on the first line but will be the least impactful player on that line.

One time 30 goal scorer, mostly in the low 20's during his career.

Truthfully, I'd rather spend the money on a solid 2 to 4 D man.

18 hours ago, gurn said:

imo he is a decent 2nd line winger, can play on the first line but will be the least impactful player on that line.

His price tag will probably be for 5-6M but if we are able to get that at 4 years it'd be a win.

I'd also like to add Toffoli and a defenseman.

On 4/12/2020 at 9:44 AM, gurn said:

So people have a second 'Myers' to complain about being 'overpaid'? :P

I'd love to add another D too FWIW but I think that will end up costing Virtanen + (Stecher and a prospect?) IMO.

As for Toffoli, I think he's going to be somewhere around $5-5.5m x 5 years. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

I would sign Taffoli at 4 yrs 5.2 million  max.. Will score 30 goals --56-65 points playing with Petey-- Taffoli plays a 200 foot game and strong along the walls..

If He gets signed Taffoli signed we can then trade for a top end #2  Dman..

I would move Boser for the right trade..Only make this trade for top end D man --- Need to do this if we move away from Tanev. 30 - UFA - injuries are regular

SO save 4.5 if we don't resign Tanev that will free up cap space -- 

Make trade for top D man is very important....

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I would sign Taffoli at 4 yrs 5.2 million  max.. Will score 30 goals --56-65 points playing with Petey-- Taffoli plays a 200 foot game and strong along the walls..

I would move Boser for the right trade..Only make this trade for top end D man --- Need to do this if we move away from Tanev. 30 - UFA - injuries are regular

I think your taffy addiction is getting a bit out of control.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I believe you shouldn't trade Boeser till a young guy(Pod/Hog/Lind) can step up and really prove that they can play enough to suffice a trade.

Don't act like you have a good problem till you actually do IMO. Also I would want to wait till after the expansion draft too. Teams might lose a forward and have a higher need for one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I believe you shouldn't trade Boeser till a young guy(Pod/Hog/Lind) can step up and really prove that they can play enough to suffice a trade.

Don't act like you have a good problem till you actually do IMO. Also I would want to wait till after the expansion draft too. Teams might lose a forward and have a higher need for one.

Well if Tanev is not resigned? you have a big hole to fill and young prospect D man are not ready to fill the Tanev role?

After signing Markstrom 5.5 -- Taffoli 5.2 --- Virtanen 3.3 , Stetcher 2.5 ? possible trade?  Leivo 1.7 ---MacEwen 900,000, - Motte 900,000 

Will not have any money to sign a free agent top end D man to fill Tanev's spot??

Only way you bring in a #2 D man under 27 is to make a trade??

Can't keep everybody just not possible?

Not touching Petey, Hughes, Horvat.......Centres are hard to find...

Only a few guys can bring back a top end D man???

Boser  or   (Virtanen, Demko in package)

Just being realistic, other team will not take 3rd liners back....

Edited by wildcam

22 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

This. No need to lessen our right side this year since we're looking to become a playoff contender. Let Podkolzin or Virtanen push their way onto top 6 and look like they belong there before we make the trade.

However, from the business side of things, if the options were trade Boeser for a top RHD and keep Toffoli versus let Toffoli go and keep Boeser, I wouldn't mind looking at it. This way we keep a top 6 RW and manage to get ourselves a top dman or prospect.

5 hours ago, wildcam said:

Well if Tanev is not resigned? you have a big hole to fill and young prospect D man are not ready to fill the Tanev role?

After signing Markstrom 5.5 -- Taffoli 5.2 --- Virtanen 3.3 , Stetcher 2.5 ? possible trade?  Leivo 1.7 ---MacEwen 900,000, - Motte 900,000 

Will not have any money to sign a free agent top end D man to fill Tanev's spot??

Only way you bring in a #2 D man under 27 is to make a trade??

Can't keep everybody just not possible?

Not touching Petey, Hughes, Horvat.......Centres are hard to find...

Only a few guys can bring back a top end D man???

Boser  or   (Virtanen, Demko in package)

Just being realistic, other team will not take 3rd liners back....

If we trade out contracts and/or get a compliance buyout or two Tanev will be re-signed.

You risk putting faith in young players to step up when they haven't proved anything in the NHL. They falter and we traded Boeser we are in a bigger hole than you can dig.

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we trade out contracts and/or get a compliance buyout or two Tanev will be re-signed.

You risk putting faith in young players to step up when they haven't proved anything in the NHL. They falter and we traded Boeser we are in a bigger hole than you can dig.

I dk.  I think in the cap era, any team that wants to stay competitive over the long run has to look ahead and see how much they'll need to be paying their top young players, then make some hard decisions on cutting loose (or trading) veteran UFA's.  Stetcher is definitely one of these players, and as much as I'd like to keep Tanev, I think that he likely has to be one of players too.  If it comes down to a choice between resigning Tanev or Toffoli, I'd definitely choose Tofolli.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 2:24 AM, -AJ- said:

Based on the 10-game stint, I would agree, but let's keep in mind that it was only 10 games. That, and even if Toffoli is better right now, odds are very very high that in five or six years, Boeser will be the better player.

That said, I would love to re-sign Toffoli if Benning can work some cap magic.

I don't understand why some morons would even think of trading Brock Boeser just because we have Toffoli. If anything, it almost makes you curious how the team looks with BOTH those guys in the lineup with Toffoli maybe being on PP1 and Boeser being the focal point of PP2 or vice versa. Boeser, Pearson, Miller, and possibly Toffoli, the team is basically set for the next 2-3 years without having to experiment with rotating wingers like the last few years

On 4/11/2020 at 11:47 AM, komodo0921 said:

He's just keeping it real.

I have to think he sees the potential of his long-term success, being on this team.

Though it was a small sample, he's never produced at that pace in his career. The benefits of being in this lineup has to be an eye opener for him.

It's my opinion that Tofu is a big part of our top six, moving forward. 

Our top six forwards should always be priority, making Toffoli a priority signing.

Whether it be short term or long term doesn't matter. Keeping him on the roster does matter, provided he's willing to stay.

the priority IMO in the offseason to re-sign would be Toffoli, Tanev, then Markstrom. As good as Marky has been, Ian Clark has been a godsend to our goalies and we have 1 maybe 2 good ones in the pipeline. Also to add that goalie is a talent pool thats more vast, simply put, theres 64 job openings in the whole league. Its much harder to find a capable legit top 4 guy which I think Tanev is

2 hours ago, Beefcake said:

Offense over Defense so lets keep Toffoli over Tanev

I feel like we need Tanev more than Toffoli. We have a pretty strong forward group, but our defense still isn't great and without Tanev, I think we'd lose a lot of games.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I feel like we need Tanev more than Toffoli. We have a pretty strong forward group, but our defense still isn't great and without Tanev, I think we'd lose a lot of games.

Neither are easily replaceable. Hopefully JB tries to shed enough other players to be able to keep both Toffoli and Tanev. And hopefully the league and players agree on more buyouts.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Neither are easily replaceable. Hopefully JB tries to shed enough other players to be able to keep both Toffoli and Tanev. And hopefully the league and players agree on more buyouts.

Both are definitely high value, but I do think with a full roster, we have more than 6 Top Six quality players. Remember that we've never had both Boeser and Toffoli play at the same time. With a healthy roster, we likely have borderline top 6 players being played on the third line assuming Toffoli stays. I think we're spoiled with offensive depth, but the same can't be said for our defensive depth. Without Toffoli, we still have a solid top six IMO. Without Tanev, I think our Top 4 D becomes very weak.

• Cheers 1