The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Both are definitely high value, but I do think with a full roster, we have more than 6 Top Six quality players. Remember that we've never had both Boeser and Toffoli play at the same time. With a healthy roster, we likely have borderline top 6 players being played on the third line assuming Toffoli stays. I think we're spoiled with offensive depth, but the same can't be said for our defensive depth. Without Toffoli, we still have a solid top six IMO. Without Tanev, I think our Top 4 D becomes very weak.

I think we can sign both. While using a regular buyout (or maybe 50% retention in trade) on Baer, move Roussel and Benn... Stecher might also be a casualty.

I also tend to agree with others that we likely shouldn't be moving a RW until some of Podkolzin, Hoglander etc start to arrive and take jobs. And IMO it's actually Virtanen who's likely odd man out at that point unfortunately. Podkolzin will likely replace a lot of what he does and at a far lower price for the next few years.

That said if a Virtanen, Stecher and a prospect for a top 4 RHD fell in our lap before then...

Dont see how we can sign both Tanev and Toffoli (I dont think there will be space to sign Tryamkin either). I agree with the above that at this point the value is in signing Toffoli, but think it is Tanev that will be the one coming back. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

On 4/18/2020 at 12:40 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I dk.  I think in the cap era, any team that wants to stay competitive over the long run has to look ahead and see how much they'll need to be paying their top young players, then make some hard decisions on cutting loose (or trading) veteran UFA's.  Stetcher is definitely one of these players, and as much as I'd like to keep Tanev, I think that he likely has to be one of players too.  If it comes down to a choice between resigning Tanev or Toffoli, I'd definitely choose Tofolli.

I think it does help us long term. Helps the youth become successful. We take any steps back next year and have too many question marks we are in a worse spot.

If we get buyouts and/or JB can work the cap and move some guys out it is a guarantee we sign both. Really need both players right now and moving forward.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

Interesting. Toffoli believes there should be a type of training camp before there is any type of playoffs.

I think the expectation is that there will be a short one, so I don't think his view is the minority. Probably shorter than a regular one, but I'd have to imagine we'd have a training camp with maybe one exhibition game or something before getting back to it.

• Cheers 1

On 4/19/2020 at 11:29 PM, Me_ said:

Interesting. Toffoli believes there should be a type of training camp before there is any type of playoffs.

Thanks for posting.

He's been a great fit in Vancouver, but whether he'll be back for next season remains to be seen. Really hope so...

As long as we don't see him dressed up in a Leafs PJ under his leafs quilt, I will still root for him, whoever he ends up with....

But like JT, he's been a revelation in Vancouver.... long may it continue.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

need to re sign TJ for sure, he comes across a lot like Miller, ready tl win now, does what it takes the little things and the big things and seems invested in being here. I am almost certain there will be buyouts- buyout Ericksson and may have to dump Sutter, I could also see 2 buyouts happening. The D needs fixing to though...

Edited by Canucks Curse

10 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

need to re sign TJ for sure, he comes across a lot like Miller, ready tl win now, does what it takes the little things and the big things and seems invested in being here. I am almost certain there will be buyouts- buyout Ericksson and may have to dump Sutter, I could also see 2 buyouts happening. The D needs fixing to though...

The idea of buyouts are fun for armchair GM's...not so much for owners of the NHLPA  though.   There has to be revenue for this to make sense - and they haven't had any for awhile - plus they have pre-paid the players for the remainder of the season and it's pretty doubtful any fans will be allowed in anytime soon.   At this point who knows whats going to happen - but the money says no to buyouts and no to cap increases.   If anything they will be looking at a roll-back or best case scenario the owners will continue to pre-pay the players like Provost suggested with a flat cap for a couple years until the revenue meets the payout to players.  

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, spook007 said:

Thanks for posting.

He's been a great fit in Vancouver, but whether he'll be back for next season remains to be seen. Really hope so...

As long as we don't see him dressed up in a Leafs PJ under his leafs quilt, I will still root for him, whoever he ends up with....

But like TJ, he's been a revelation in Vancouver.... long may it continue.

Sounds like he really liked it in Vancouver.

His game elevated to levels he'd never accomplished before.

He showed that a point a game is not out of the realm of possibilities for him here.

As I've said before; this guy's got to be top priority for this offseason.

Miller                Petterson                   Toffoli

Peaerson         Horvat                        Boeser

That looks like a pretty potent top six to me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I Pretty sure Toffoli will remain

I think when hockey returns, most free agents will stay put, as everyone will be unsure of the market and teams will not overpay without knowing what the effect will be

, Guys who were looking for one last big payday will be disappointed and may settle on shorter term deals, (or sign on percentage of team budget, as a safer bet)?

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, spook007 said:

Thanks for posting.

But like TJ, he's been a revelation in Vancouver.... long may it continue.

Who is TJ?

• Cheers 2

I would like someone to confirm this 

The Canucks also owe Los Angeles a second if they re-sign Tyler Toffoli. (https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-draft-work-june-amid-covid-19-pandemic/

I thought the trade was some crappy player, 2nd and a conditional 4th. Does that 4th become a 2nd if we re-sign him??? im so confused 

6 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

The Canucks also owe Los Angeles a second if they re-sign Tyler Toffoli. (https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-draft-work-june-amid-covid-19-pandemic/

I thought the trade was some crappy player, 2nd and a conditional 4th. Does that 4th become a 2nd if we re-sign him??? im so confused 

I'm not certain, but I believe the 4th doesn't exist if we don't re-sign him and only comes into effect if we re-sign him.

4 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not certain, but I believe the 4th doesn't exist if we don't re-sign him and only comes into effect if we re-sign him.

Correct, the conditional pick is a fourth round pick in 2022 should Toffoli resign with the Canucks

https://www.capfriendly.com/draft/2020&pick=43

29 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Correct, the conditional pick is a fourth round pick in 2022 should Toffoli resign with the Canucks

https://www.capfriendly.com/draft/2020&pick=43

Does this still qualify if we let him go to FA and he chooses to sign back with us? 
Since we have his contract rights until whenever July 1st (regular contract end date/ start of FA) would've been I feel like we shouldn't be penalized if he chooses to come back?  Or is it just cut-and-dry if he signs here then it goes to LA?   

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Does this still qualify if we let him go to FA and he chooses to sign back with us? 
Since we have his contract rights until whenever July 1st (regular contract end date/ start of FA) would've been I feel like we shouldn't be penalized if he chooses to come back?  Or is it just cut-and-dry if he signs here then it goes to LA?   

I'm not too certain about the actual details of that, but I would think it would be commonly thought that if the player resigns in any capacity during the season or free agency that pick would go to the other team.

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

19 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm not too certain about the actual details of that, but I would think it would be commonly thought that if the player resigns in any capacity during the season or free agency that pick would go to the other team.

Yeah, I would suspect the only loophole where we could keep both would be if Toffoli signed somewhere else and was then subsequently traded to Vancouver. Not sure if it would really be worth the hassle for a 4th.