Sign in to follow this  
-AJ-

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

12 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Does this still qualify if we let him go to FA and he chooses to sign back with us? 
Since we have his contract rights until whenever July 1st (regular contract end date/ start of FA) would've been I feel like we shouldn't be penalized if he chooses to come back?  Or is it just cut-and-dry if he signs here then it goes to LA?   

I believe if the Canucks sign him on or after July 1st (or which ever day free agent frenzy is), the contract would be considered a UFA signing and not any sort of contract extension. If that's the case, the 4th round pick won't go back the other way.

However, if the Canucks sign him prior to July 1st (or which ever day free agent frenzy is), it is consider a contract extension and they will have to give up a 4th round pick.

July 1st is the day that a player is UFA, and he is free to choose any team he choose to sign with. Any contract sign on July 1st or onward is consider a UFA signing, and the maximum term you can give to a UFA is 7 years. If the team owns the rights of a player prior to July 1st, they can sign him before July 1st, and give him a contract with maximum term of 8 years.

I doubt the Canucks want to sign Toffoli for anything more than 6 years, so I can see the Canucks basically have the contract negotiated, ready to go, but won't put his pen to paper until July 1st. That would be the smartest way to do things when it comes to asset management, but you also pissed off the Kings GM if you do that.

17 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I believe if the Canucks sign him on or after July 1st (or which ever day free agent frenzy is), the contract would be considered a UFA signing and not any sort of contract extension. If that's the case, the 4th round pick won't go back the other way.

I doubt the Canucks want to sign Toffoli for anything more than 6 years, so I can see the Canucks basically have the contract negotiated, ready to go, but won't put his pen to paper until July 1st. That would be the smartest way to do things when it comes to asset management, but you also pissed off the Kings GM if you do that.

I sure hope we approach it this way.  LA be damned, we made a fair trade with them and if Toffy (like Marky) want to be here, who's to say that we can't?  It's not like we made an offer sheet for one of their RFA's to handicap them financially.

Give them that assurance, let him "walk".  Even if we let him reach FA, with the negotiations which I'm sure would've been ongoing we could already have something ironed out much like there would be for all those free agent frenzy signings.  He, Pete and Miller have the makings of an all-round 1st unit and if he likes to play with those two guys as he has stated, I feel confident we can bring him back.   

Posted (edited)

It's not that simple. There's a period (1 or 2 weeks, maybe longer) before July 1st where other GMs around the league are (unofficially I believe) allowed to start talking to players that are slated to hit FA. So he could potentially have other offers on the table that would drive his price tag up. I wouldn't wait until FA to put pen to paper as this plan has the potential to fall apart and introduce chaos. If the plan is to sign him, then sign him up asap - 4th round pick be damned, it's not worth the risk. I'm sure there will be pieces dealt this offseason that should get us some draft picks back.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Thanks 2
  • Hydration 1

I wonder if contracts will be able to awarded on a % of the budget now, (with so much unknown now on gates, sponsorship, etc)

If the budget goes down, so does the wage, if it goes up, so does the wage

Seems the fairest way without either side getting burned