The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Good video, sounds like Toffoli loves it in VAN and wants to stay, and I'm sure Pearson would love that too. Toffoli made $4.6/an, and I figure he will want at least $5 with some term. As much as he loves it here, he still wants to be paid and mentioned having that security. So curious what Benning is going to do, and there is a lot that needs to be done.

Might be able to work around that price tag with term.  One way to read his statement is more or less at face value:  that he wants to stay and wants Benning to know that so he doesn't make other moves that would prevent it.

• Like 2

Benning did mention possibly having to move some younger players, and there would be difficult decisions. I'm guessing that Eriksson and Sutter will be moved, somehow. But in order to do that the Canucks have to add sweeteners. I have a feeling Benning isn't overly interested in draft picks and the players for this team moving forward are already in the system. Players like Podkolzin, Hoglander, Focht, Lind and Rathbone. I think he'd like to ty and re-sign Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli. 

So, I wonder which younger players Benning will be moving?

- Virtanen

- Gaudette

- Stecher

- prospects like DiPietro, Lockwood or Jasek?

- or all of the above

• Like 1

Toffoli just said that he wants to stay as a Canuck

Toffoli looking to stay with Canucks rather than becoming UFA

Vancouver would need to trade other players to sign forward, Markstrom, Tanev, GM says

by Kevin Woodley / NHL.com Independent Correspondent
 1:45 PM
cut.jpg

Tyler Toffoli said Friday he wants to sign with the Vancouver Canucks rather than become an unrestricted free agent on Oct. 9.

"I want to stay in Vancouver and that's my No. 1 priority as of right now," Toffoli said.

The forward, acquired in a trade with the Los Angeles Kings on Feb. 17, scored 10 points (six goals, four assists) in 10 regular-season games with Vancouver and four points (two goals, two assists) in seven postseason games.

Toffoli missed three weeks during the postseason after sustaining a high ankle sprain in Game 1 of the best-of-5 Stanley Cup Qualifiers against the Minnesota Wild on Aug. 2. It was originally thought the injury would keep him out six weeks, but he came back a little more than three weeks later and had a goal and two assists in Game 2 of the Western Conference Second Round against the Vegas Golden Knights on Aug. 25. Vancouver lost the series in seven games. 

The 28-year-old has scored 300 points (145 goals, 155 assists) in 525 NHL games through eight seasons with the Canucks and Kings; he won the Stanley Cup with Los Angeles in 2014.

Vancouver general manager Jim Benning already said his first priority is re-signing No. 1 goalie Jacob Markstrom, who along with veteran defenseman Christopher Tanev can also become an unrestricted free agent. Benning told TSN 1040 Radio on Thursday that being able to sign all three players and fit them under the NHL salary cap, which will remain at $81.5 million next season, would require trading other players. 

Toffoli said he wants to speak with Benning to gauge the possibility of returning to Vancouver next season and beyond.

"That's priority No. 1 as of right now," Toffoli said. "I want to say that I haven't really thought about it a whole lot but it's definitely that time in my life where you have to, and you want the security for yourself and for your family and all those things. ... If things progress and not in the right direction, then that's when I have to think about going to a different place."

cut.jpeg

Hughes sets up Toffoli's PPG

• 00:39 • August 30th, 2020

Toffoli cited talented young players like 21-year-old center Elias Pettersson, who won the Calder Trophy as the top rookie in the NHL last season, 20-year-old defenseman Quinn Hughes, a finalist for the same award this season, and the leadership of 25-year-old captain Bo Horvat as reasons for wanting to stay.

"They have some kids in this organization and some guys that really stepped up and showed they are ready to take the next step," Toffoli said. "It's definitely an exciting time to be in Vancouver and it's definitely something people want to be a part of now."

Vancouver made the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since 2015 and won a series, ousting the defending Cup champion St. Louis Blues in six games in the first round, for the first time since 2011, when it lost to the Boston Bruins in seven games in the Stanley Cup Final. 

Canucks forward Tanner Pearson, who played on the same line with Toffoli when the Kings won the Cup in 2014, is pushing for his friend to stay, but understands it may not be possible. 

"I definitely think it crosses everyone's mind," Pearson said. "Everyone is hoping we can keep the crew together and we like where we ended up. It put the realization into all of us of what we could do if we all stick together. 

"We were one win away from going to the conference final, so hopefully when the time comes, a lot of the guys are coming back."

• Facebook Share
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Toffoli just said that he wants to stay as a Canuck

Toffoli looking to stay with Canucks rather than becoming UFA

Vancouver would need to trade other players to sign forward, Markstrom, Tanev, GM says

its good to hear. I do think that buying out Sutter and Baer would be enough to cover most of what TT would be making. Not the best option but its there. 

I just don't see much of a trade market for any of our older guys. Jim has said the 2021 1st is off the table so its not going to be easy. 

On 4/24/2020 at 12:59 AM, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I would suspect the only loophole where we could keep both would be if Toffoli signed somewhere else and was then subsequently traded to Vancouver. Not sure if it would really be worth the hassle for a 4th.

I agree, and a fourth is almost laughable, a huge long shot to make it to the NHL and maybe a 3rd line potential tops but after watching TT and pearson get interview and TT saying explicitly he wants to stay made me smile and I hope he does, he clearly is a big part of our second line of support so to speak  

which says something huge about the team now.

A supporting cast that can help us NOT end up like the Oilers and Leafs makes being a Canucks fan all that much more enjoyable these days

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean his numbers aren’t exactly sparkling.

Thats actually a fair deal.

That is a fair deal currently, but in a normal world Toffoli was getting 5x5 at a minimum this offseason. I'm excited if we do indeed get Toffoli signed to that deal tho. I really believe he's a 25-30 goal 60PT player here. He would just add so much to our top 6!

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

We can dream right? Tyler taking this would show he really does love it here and wants to win.

yeah for sure. He might be able to squeeze out a little more somewhere else but its hard to beat a good fit and somewhere you're happy. 

• Vintage 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pete M said:

JB needs to sign this guy...if not, then just add to the list of blunders made by him.

IMO it's only a blunder in retrospect.

Based on our current situation, I think Tanev is more valuable and necessary given our needs.

At the time of the trade, Boeser was injured and our odds of making the playoffs were plummeting. Trading for Toffoli was an effort to replace what Boeser brought and to ensure we made the playoffs.

As it turned out, COVID happened and the whole thing was somewhat a moot point, as the season was ended early (obviously no one, including Benning, saw that coming).

In addition, the cap ended up being tighter than we (and Benning) expected, as COVID caused a flat cap.

In sum, there are a whole lot of unforeseen consequences that when using the powers of captain hindsight, make Benning's decision seem very foolish, but if we consider what he was working with at the time, are more reasonable.

• Like 1

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-notebook-tyler-toffoli-to-test-free-agency-macewen-re-signs

"Tyler Toffoli’s stint in Vancouver may turn out to be a short one.

According to multiple reports Tuesday, the pending unrestricted free agent will test the NHL free agency market for offers when it opens on Friday.

Toffoli, 28, is one of three high-profile UFAs in the Vancouver Canucks’ stable, along with Jacob Markstrom and Chris Tanev.

It’s expected Toffoli is after a raise. His most recent contract, which he signed in 2017, paid him an annual average salary of US$4.6 million.

But with general manager Jim Benning focused on finding a new deal for Markstrom and not yet finding any way to clear more cap space ahead of Friday, it seems clear Toffoli’s agent Pat Brisson has had enough.

Both TSN 1040’s Rick Dhaliwal and Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman took to Twitter mid-day Tuesday to suggest that Toffoli is going to listen to offers from other teams.

The Canucks will surely be hopeful that Toffoli will come around to their offer even after he’s heard what else is out there."

Dont know if this has much merit but saw it when i was googling around the web

44 minutes ago, x00x said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-notebook-tyler-toffoli-to-test-free-agency-macewen-re-signs

"Tyler Toffoli’s stint in Vancouver may turn out to be a short one.

According to multiple reports Tuesday, the pending unrestricted free agent will test the NHL free agency market for offers when it opens on Friday.

Toffoli, 28, is one of three high-profile UFAs in the Vancouver Canucks’ stable, along with Jacob Markstrom and Chris Tanev.

It’s expected Toffoli is after a raise. His most recent contract, which he signed in 2017, paid him an annual average salary of US$4.6 million.

But with general manager Jim Benning focused on finding a new deal for Markstrom and not yet finding any way to clear more cap space ahead of Friday, it seems clear Toffoli’s agent Pat Brisson has had enough.

Both TSN 1040’s Rick Dhaliwal and Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman took to Twitter mid-day Tuesday to suggest that Toffoli is going to listen to offers from other teams.

The Canucks will surely be hopeful that Toffoli will come around to their offer even after he’s heard what else is out there."

Dont know if this has much merit but saw it when i was googling around the web

Word is that neither Toffoli nor Tanev have heard anything.  I assume that speaking with people about other players' situations extends to members of the team as well as the media.  Surely, Tofu understands that Benning can't just take him aside and say...."between you and me kid, Marky is our top priority and until we sign him and find out what our cap situation will be, we don't know what we can offer you.  So just hold tight, we'll decide what to do by Friday ....."

I don't know if what I said here is true but surely people get it.  I'd really like  Last Minute Jim to wrap up this business asap