Sign in to follow this  
-AJ-

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think Toffoli is a much better player than Athanasiou.  I think JB deserves some props for this trade.  2 2nds for AA is much worse than Madden and a 2nd for TT.

No one is suggesting Toffoli isn’t the superior player. But AA has a cheaper cap hit, and is RFA at the end of the season. That ups his overall value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, D-Money said:

No one is suggesting Toffoli isn’t the superior player. But AA has a cheaper cap hit, and is RFA at the end of the season. That ups his overall value.

I get that, but the Oilers wanted Toffoli as well and JB got him.  The reason he could is because he has compiled a great stable of prospects and young players so he could afford to do it.  

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

 

If this is real, Doughty is crying in a corner somewhere that a former King wore this the moment he became a Canuck.

 

Foli seemed to switch his allegiance very quickly. In an interview immediately after the trade, he was already referring to the Kings as "them".

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Cap increases by $3m, Stecher walks, Sutter traded with $1.3m retained, Loui retires, Baer bought out, Benn goes to Utica.  +/-  $18m cap space!

 

Don't worry, be happy.

Why do some posters think they know more about an NHL teams cap then...

 

....THE NHL TEAM?

 

 

Haha...it is confounding.  

  • Burr 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What sort of contract, realistically are the Canucks looking at with TT?  Assuming he wants to stay, all that stuff etc.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

What sort of contract, realistically are the Canucks looking at with TT?  Assuming he wants to stay, all that stuff etc.

Probably 4 years and around 5 Million. He'd be signed till he's 32 which is a good age to have him part. He'd still be able to sign a multi-year deal elsewhere and maybe the Kings turn it around then. Hopefully Pearson and co. can sell him on Vancouver a lot and maybe he takes a discount, wishful thinking though. Might have to hand him a NTC to lessen the cap hit. Could ask for a NMC the first year so he isn't exposed or at least that's what I would do if I was him for security.

 

If we sign him we're probably keeping Pearson too for a bit. Sign him for 3 years in 2021 that way his contract ends the same time Toffoli's does. They both are the same age too, right in their prime. Gives us a 2nd line as Hog/Pod develop/establish themselves. Any young guys step up early we have the potential to become a contender. Hopefully we see improvements to the D-core sometime in that stretch too.

  • Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think Toffoli is a much better player than Athanasiou.  I think JB deserves some props for this trade.  2 2nds for AA is much worse than Madden and a 2nd for TT.

 

I would argue that after adding JT Miller this summer, he now added the most complete player at the deadline.

 

Miller EP Toffoli

Pearson BO Boeser

Sutter Gaudette Virtanen

Rousel Beagle Motte

 

Eriksson, Leivo, MacEwan,  Bailey, Baertschi,  Goldobin.

 

That is excellent depth.  Also a well balanced lineup. 

I agree with this.

One thing I don't see anyone talking about is including Schaller in the deal.

We needed cap room and I look at Schaller as being, at least in part, a cap dump.

So we got TT and dumped Schaller for a prospect unlikely to make the big club and a 2nd round pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I agree with this.

One thing I don't see anyone talking about is including Schaller in the deal.

We needed cap room and I look at Schaller as being, at least in part, a cap dump.

So we got TT and dumped Schaller for a prospect unlikely to make the big club and a 2nd round pick.

Dumping Schaller cost us that second being a fourth.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dumping Schaller cost us that second being a fourth.  

Translated from Scotch to English, I think I agree with you.

There was a price to pay to dump Schaller.

  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably 4 years and around 5 Million. He'd be signed till he's 32 which is a good age to have him part. He'd still be able to sign a multi-year deal elsewhere and maybe the Kings turn it around then. Hopefully Pearson and co. can sell him on Vancouver a lot and maybe he takes a discount, wishful thinking though. Might have to hand him a NTC to lessen the cap hit. Could ask for a NMC the first year so he isn't exposed or at least that's what I would do if I was him for security.

 

If we sign him we're probably keeping Pearson too for a bit. Sign him for 3 years in 2021 that way his contract ends the same time Toffoli's does. They both are the same age too, right in their prime. Gives us a 2nd line as Hog/Pod develop/establish themselves. Any young guys step up early we have the potential to become a contender. Hopefully we see improvements to the D-core sometime in that stretch too.

Nailed it IMO :metal:

 

Don't think he'd need the NMC though, as I'm pretty sure he'd be on our list.

Edited by aGENT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think Toffoli is a much better player than Athanasiou.  I think JB deserves some props for this trade.  2 2nds for AA is much worse than Madden and a 2nd for TT.

 

I would argue that after adding JT Miller this summer, he now added the most complete player at the deadline.

 

Miller EP Toffoli

Pearson BO Boeser

Sutter Gaudette Virtanen

Rousel Beagle Motte

 

Eriksson, Leivo, MacEwan,  Bailey, Baertschi,  Goldobin.

 

That is excellent depth.  Also a well balanced lineup. 

I very much agree with what you have as a roster for the balance of this year but next year I think JB is likely going to move both Sutter and Roussel due to cap considerations. Personally I would try and re-sign Leivo if the price is reasonable and add McEwen. Leivo could line up in Roos spot on the 3rd and Big Mac on the 4th with Beags and Motte.

Bailey could be the spare forward and if all goes well Baertschi gets traded in the off season, Loui goes to Utica or retires and Goldy is let go. Just my opinion for what it is worth (lol) and will be interesting to see what JB actually does over the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Nailed it IMO :metal:

 

Don't think he'd need the NMC though, as I'm pretty sure he'd be on our list.

I think he could ask for one but a NTC of some sort is more likely. NTC will help us lower the cap hit.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how ‘bout that Toffoli guy eh?

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Me_ said:

So how ‘bout that Toffoli guy eh?

 

 

Didn't see the game tonight. But that highlight of him and Bo with the give and go, was a beauty. 

 

He's a good addition to the club. 

 

And look at that young tender in net, Demko with 37 saves tonight! 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You hate to see a player lose their sport because of injury, but Boeser had been really sub par even before he got hurt... and if Toffoli keeps being close to this good, it is quite possible that he supplants Boeser.  If there can be only one kept due to cap considerations, do you let Toffoli go for nothing... or sign him and trade Boeser for a huge return?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

Toffoli's great, but if you don't have space for both you stick with the 23 year old with a higher PPG and a higher upside. 

Does higher upside mean higher immediate impact esp. if the team shows it's ready to win now? 

Brock is good but Toffoli's probably as good if not more well-rounded but with lower scoring upside, and probably more clutch.

If it came down to T.T or BB staying I would probably pick T.T, probably makes the lineup that much tougher to play against.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Does higher upside mean higher immediate impact esp. if the team shows it's ready to win now? 

Brock is good but Toffoli's probably as good if not more well-rounded but with lower scoring upside, and probably more clutch.

If it came down to T.T or BB staying I would probably pick T.T, probably makes the lineup that much tougher to play against.

TT is likely better this year, but Boeser is better for the future. I don't think the Canucks are in the position to suddenly win the cup this year or next (I'd love to be wrong), and they're certainly in no position to give up top developing players like Boeser. 

 

We're also talking about an RFA vs FA. Even if we have the space, there's obviously no guarantee TT will sign here. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

TT is likely better this year, but Boeser is better for the future. I don't think the Canucks are in the position to suddenly win the cup this year or next (I'd love to be wrong), and they're certainly in no position to give up top developing players like Boeser. 

 

We're also talking about an RFA vs FA. Even if we have the space, there's obviously no guarantee TT will sign here. 

It would be nice to have them both if JB can make the numbers work

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.