The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

18 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Can the Canucks sign Toffoli, realistically??

Not unless we let someone else go, in my view. I think raises for Virtanen, Gaudette, Markstrom, as well as even a slight raise for Tanev puts us in too tight of a spot.

9 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Not unless we let someone else go, in my view. I think raises for Virtanen, Gaudette, Markstrom, as well as even a slight raise for Tanev puts us in too tight of a spot.

Just need to move out some cap. If there is indeed the rumoured compliance buyout, dumping Eriksson's $6m is the obvious start. From there we'd likely also need to retain 50% in trade or buyout Sven's $3.25m, possibly trade Roussel (another $3m) and Benn $2m.

This of course does depend somewhat on what happens with the cap due to Covid -19 but we can find the cap space if we want to.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Realistically, yes. We just let go of Tanev, use that money to sign Toffoli. But that leaves a big hole on RHD.

If we want both Tanev and Toffoli, either Eriksson or Sutter + Baer needs to come off the book.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Just need to move out some cap. If there is indeed the rumoured compliance buyout, dumping Eriksson's $6m is the obvious start. From there we'd likely also need to retain 50% in trade or buyout Sven's $3.25m, possibly trade Roussel (another $3m) and Benn $2m.

This of course does depend somewhat on what happens with the cap due to Covid -19 but we can find the cap space if we want to.

Deleted,.  I got mixed up on my articles to quote.

Edited by SilentSam

11 hours ago, khay said:

Realistically, yes. We just let go of Tanev, use that money to sign Toffoli. But that leaves a big hole on RHD.

If we want both Tanev and Toffoli, either Eriksson or Sutter + Baer needs to come off the book.

Sutter could probably be had for a late draft pick, or if the Canucks retained 50% of his salary.

Ericsson, in my opinion, is the big reason the Canucks are in cap crunch. If they can somehow get rid of his salary, that would open up a ton to then sign Toffoli. 

9 minutes ago, The Colt 45s said:

Can we hide his contract in the minors?

You can only save about $1M maximum by putting a contract in the AHL, so it wouldn't save us very much cap.

• Cheers 1

I don't see how Brandon Sutter is not a useful player for another team.

Even for a 5th round pick...

I like to think we can find a way to integrate some players from the farm and trim the fat, and still manage to sign Marky, Toffy, and Tanny.

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Sutter could probably be had for a late draft pick, or if the Canucks retained 50% of his salary.

Ericsson, in my opinion, is the big reason the Canucks are in cap crunch. If they can somehow get rid of his salary, that would open up a ton to then sign Toffoli. 

ef434f1.jpg

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

They gotta bring this guy back if they can.  BB is great and all, but Toff is a much more complete player, and such a great compliment to EP/Miller.  

Based on the 10-game stint, I would agree, but let's keep in mind that it was only 10 games. That, and even if Toffoli is better right now, odds are very very high that in five or six years, Boeser will be the better player.

That said, I would love to re-sign Toffoli if Benning can work some cap magic.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Based on the 10-game stint, I would agree, but let's keep in mind that it was only 10 games. That, and even if Toffoli is better right now, odds are very very high that in five or six years, Boeser will be the better player.

That said, I would love to re-sign Toffoli if Benning can work some cap magic.

Based on how he plays the game.  TT drives play. 

If you can find guys that bring the best out in EP I think you gotta go for it.  JT/TT really help maximize EP's strengths

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-toffoli-loving-time-vancouver-future-remains-air/

A lot of past tense quoting here. Hope he isn't looking to leave...

He's just keeping it real.

I have to think he sees the potential of his long-term success, being on this team.

Though it was a small sample, he's never produced at that pace in his career. The benefits of being in this lineup has to be an eye opener for him.

It's my opinion that Tofu is a big part of our top six, moving forward. 

Our top six forwards should always be priority, making Toffoli a priority signing.

Whether it be short term or long term doesn't matter. Keeping him on the roster does matter, provided he's willing to stay.

Edited by komodo0921
  • Like 1