The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green should make the following coaching adjustments in my opinion

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

honestly, he was working really hard out there.  That being said, they were a rested team and I dont think Loui, or even Motte for that matter can sustain that type of energy every game.  But it was awesome to see that tenacity.  

motte has a motor im not too worried about him  , loui on the other hand , that's first time ive seen him out race any one in 3 years , but he still needs to go 

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

motte has a motor im not too worried about him  , loui on the other hand , that's first time ive seen him out race any one in 3 years , but he still needs to go 

Yeah, Id be very surprised if hes still on the team next season after his bonus gets paid out.  

The biggest coaching adjustment needed is to change the defensive coverage in their own zone. The rope-a-dope don’t pressure the man with the puck system is painful to watch and is simply not working.

I’m not sure if this is Green’s or Baumgartner’s system but it has to go.

6 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

1) Stop using Horvat’s line as a shutdown line. The Canucks need to have atleast two legit scoring lines if they are to make noise down the stretch.   Gaudette’s line isn’t a good scoring line, and our top line is going to need some support.    Put Toffoli or Virtanen on the Horvat-Pearson line.   One of Toffoli or Virtanen goes to play on the top line.

2) Put Sutter back at center, and use

Roussel-Sutter-Eriksson as your new shut down line.    Like I said above - our current 3rd line isn’t very effective.   They don’t score and they can’t shut down.   If it’s having trouble scoring, then change it’s complexion.

3) Motte deserves a promotion.   Look for ways to promote Tyler Motte, whether it means the 3rd line or even get a look on the top 6.  Motte deserves a serious look.  Earlier this season, he flat out carried Schaller and Beagle into a pretty good 4th line, and the Canucks have a significantly better record with Motte in the line-up.   Perhaps put him with Roussel and Sutter on the 3rd line.

4) Stop dicking around Virtanen.    Virtanen is our clear cut 2nd best RW’er and should be used as such.   Play Virtanen with Horvat or Pettersson.   Stop using Virtanen to try and jump start the 3rd line offense.   It ain’t happening.  

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Eriksson-Sutter-Motte

Roussel-Beagle-Gaudette

Those first 2 lines look like they can hold their own in the playoffs. Big bodies with some skill. The 3rd line looks like it could work. That 4th line needs to "put up, or shut up" or we have replacements waiting in the wings with MacEwen first in line. We really need to stop trying to help out those that are not playing well. If they can't keep up, take them out and give someone else a chance. Something TG is very reluctant to do. He really needs to get back to reward good hard play and bench the garbage players.

56 minutes ago, Rabid Rooster said:

Green has some great players to work with, veterans and newbees.

There is (seems to be) a decided lack of motivation and will to play hard.

my suggestion is for Green to hire a coach for the coach.

No fire in their belly.

Their attitude on the ice has taken on Green's bench personality.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

1) Stop using Horvat’s line as a shutdown line. The Canucks need to have atleast two legit scoring lines if they are to make noise down the stretch.   Gaudette’s line isn’t a good scoring line, and our top line is going to need some support.    Put Toffoli or Virtanen on the Horvat-Pearson line.   One of Toffoli or Virtanen goes to play on the top line.

2) Put Sutter back at center, and use

Roussel-Sutter-Eriksson as your new shut down line.    Like I said above - our current 3rd line isn’t very effective.   They don’t score and they can’t shut down.   If it’s having trouble scoring, then change it’s complexion.

3) Motte deserves a promotion.   Look for ways to promote Tyler Motte, whether it means the 3rd line or even get a look on the top 6.  Motte deserves a serious look.  Earlier this season, he flat out carried Schaller and Beagle into a pretty good 4th line, and the Canucks have a significantly better record with Motte in the line-up.   Perhaps put him with Roussel and Sutter on the 3rd line.

4) Stop dicking around Virtanen.    Virtanen is our clear cut 2nd best RW’er and should be used as such.   Play Virtanen with Horvat or Pettersson.   Stop using Virtanen to try and jump start the 3rd line offense.   It ain’t happening.  

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Motte-Sutter-Gaudette

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwen 

I like this lineup maybe LE will wave to go anywhere if he isn’t being used it’s worth a try.

ps your first two lines are spot on chemistry for the Horvat line and more speed for the Petey line.

Edited by CanuckleHorse
Probably because

GMJB with cam circumvention lessons for the league :ph34r:

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussell Beagle Sutter 

Leivo Eriksson Motte

Macewan Baertschi Goldobin 

Bailey Graovac Boucher 

Lind Jasek Gadjovich

21ish of 24 players have legit NHL experience.

If any forward are to be added it should be a legit heavyweight.

Need to upgrade the bottom pairing D

6 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I think Green is one of those brown nosing employees that even how $&!#ty of a job he’s doing they keep him.

He was a Charmin soft player, and he’s a Charmin soft coach.  The veteran players (seemingly) don’t respect him.  If they did, would they play Charmin soft?  I see Green getting fired within 5 games.  JB (the owner for sure) is all in on making the playoffs, and can’t allow the current soft play and losing to continue much longer.  

• Upvote 1

Green’s deployment of Adam Gaudette could be having a negative rippling effect on the team.  

I want to preface this by saying that I love Adam Gaudette.   A standout in college, a hobey baker winner, and worked his butt off to make the NHL.   

However - I just don’t know if Gaudette has a clearly defined role under Green’s system.    The Canucks are obviously trying to develop Gaudette’s offensive game, but they aren’t really supporting him with his linemates.  Roussel missed training camp and has limited offensive ability as is, and Virtanen isn’t strong enough to carry a scoring line.  

The end result is this:   Gaudette’s line can’t produce consistent offense, and Gaudette’s line can’t really shut down the opposition.......which has resulted in Horvat’s line being given that responsibility.

All of this has resulted in the following:

-decent scoring line 1

-shut down scoring line 2

-sub-par scoring line 3

-sub par shut down line 4

Which ultimately means that the Canucks are leaning too much on Pettersson, Miller, and Hughes, while not efficiently using the likes of Horvat, Pearson, and Virtanen.

Remember when the Canucks started off the year 9-3-3?   Remember when Sutter was our 3rd line C?   Why not go back to something similar?

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Gaudette

Eriksson-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Put Gaudette in Leivo’s old spot, and put Virtanen on the 3rd line instead of the 4th.

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Huggy Bear 1