The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Same. Bieksa brought up the same point last night. Where does he fit? He won’t supersede the far superior Hughes. Stecher has actual chemistry with Edler, and he’s far too soft and expensive to be a third pairing defenseman. 

Benning would be far smarter to make an offer to Bogosian. Team needs heft 

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Jeez I sure hope this doesn’t happen.

this is not the year.

this is not the player.we need.

what makes me think this could work is:

1. He was good paired with a vet LHD Ian Cole. Edler can be that guy.

2. We need more 5 on 5 scoring - despite last night we are barely middle of the pack on that.

3. I think he'll take a hometown discount.

4. If Quinn goes down, we're &^@#ed.

1 minute ago, BabychStache said:

I don’t get it at all. 

in JB we trust though 

Bieksa said it perfect on the panel, there’s no fit for Barrie on this team.

He brings more offensively than Stecher but Stecher is better defending. And for a team that has struggled a bit in their own end do we really want to get weaker in that department?

Also he’s not taking away Hughes PP time on the first unit. So you’re really just getting him to improve on your second unit. 

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning wouldn't cripple the team like that. Gaudette isn’t going anywhere. Stecher might, but I highly doubt that Benning would want Barrie when he has a far more complete offensive defenseman in Hughes. 

I would think that the two most sensible trade candidates Benning has are Roussel and Benn. Stecher has chemistry with Edler making for a decent 2nd pairing. 

If Benning can trade Roussel and Benn fir draft picks and convince Bogosian to sign as a depth defenseman, that would be ideal. 

100% on board for getting rid of Rousell hes been absolutely useless.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. Bieksa brought up the same point last night. Where does he fit? He won’t supersede the far superior Hughes. Stecher has actual chemistry with Edler, and he’s far too soft and expensive to be a third pairing defenseman. 

Benning would be far smarter to make an offer to Bogosian. Team needs heft 

Bogo a gogo to Pittsburgh or TO by the reports. I don't think he's looking west at all.

Just now, captainhorvat said:

100% on board for getting rid of Rousell hes been absolutely useless.

Roussel gives TO some of what they lost with moving Kadri, at least the being annoying part, not the toughness. Benn could step in as their 2nd paring LHD right now. We'd have to retain on Rooster but that works. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what makes me think this could work is:

1. He was good paired with a vet LHD Ian Cole. Edler can be that guy.

2. We need more 5 on 5 scoring - despite last night we are barely middle of the pack on that.

3. I think he'll take a hometown discount.

4. If Quinn goes down, we're &^@#ed.

Edler Barrie

Hughes Tanev

Myers Fantenberg

I mean on paper that’s obviously an improvement. 

It all comes down to cost and what you can re-sign him for. I wouldn’t be against it but I’m not comfortable giving up more high picks and prospects for a potential rental.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Edler Barrie

Hughes Tanev

Myers Fantenberg

It all comes down to cost and what you can re-sign him for. I wouldn’t be against it but I’m not comfortable giving up more high picks and prospects for a potential rental.

I like the suggestion above of some sort of combo of Benn and Rooster a lot, even with salary retention. 

I won't lose any sleep if it doesn't happen, but I can see why Jim would consider it. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Edler Barrie

Hughes Tanev

Myers Fantenberg

Been dead against acquiring Barrie. But when I see it broken down into those pairings I see where Hughes would have to log less minutes. He really is played a lot for a rookie. Interesting. 

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Edler Barrie

Hughes Tanev

Myers Fantenberg

The Canucks wouldn’t have the money to resign Barrie, or they’d have to let someone else walk so either way acquiring Barrie means we are letting someone go.  This move would be mainly for this year if stecher is the main piece I’d be ok with it because I think he will be gone either way.  But if he costs a lot more than Stecher I won’t like it. 

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Been dead against acquiring Barrie. But when I see it broken down into those pairings I see where Hughes would have to log less minutes. He really is played a lot for a rookie. Interesting. 

Imagine if it worked out. We'd be buying low on a top 4 d for once, and IF it works, along with our F group with Toffoli I think we'll be able to drive play even better than we have been many nights. Or it could all turn to $&!#. Its really a coin toss. But I like GMs that take ballsy chances, you get nothing without risk. 

5 minutes ago, brian42 said:

The Canucks wouldn’t have the money to resign Barrie, or they’d have to let someone else walk so either way acquiring Barrie means we are letting someone go.  This move would be mainly for this year if stecher is the main piece I’d be ok with it because I think he will be gone either way.  But if he costs a lot more than Stecher I won’t like it. 

Well I think it would hinge on some salary going back.

Sutter/Roussel and Stecher would be my guess

We could definitely afford to re-sign him

My worry would be messing with team chemistry this late in the season. Stecher and Roussel are quite popular in the dressing room from the sounds of it.

Edited by DeNiro

I don't get why Benning wants him, he's kind of redundant now that we have Hughes, and I'd rather keep Stecher. He was on fire last night against BOS, and could be good depth in the playoffs. 

I'm on board with getting Barrie, only if (something like this):

to VAN: Barrie (will be UFA)

to TOR: Benn (1 year left at $2) and Palmu

If Barrie comes here, he'll need to be paired with a solid defensive player (Edler or Tanev)

Edited by NUCKER67

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

If we can add a contract that extends into next year ( Sutter, Baertschi, Benn) I would be ecstatic.

that might be possible if we retain. Leafs only have 10 mil in cap space for next year so they need cheapie contracts. Muzzin is going to take 1/2 of that, so if we retained on Benn e.g. they get a top 6 d man for 1 mil for this season and next.