The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

So who goes the other way?

thats my basis here.  If we were legit cup contenders I’d listen.  But I don’t see the point in mortgaging future prospects for a Hughes-light.

well, thats a good question. We've got some very intriguing RHD prospects in Rafferty and Rathbone, and Tryamkin signalling he wants another shot here. So we're OK as far as moving Stecher out as the primary roster piece and having a bit of a pipeline there to replace him.

I'd think a F prospect like Lind would be the guy to go, but that would be dependent on getting a team friendly deal agreed to ahead of time. It sounds like TO has given permission for the Canucks to talk to Barrie's agent. 

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

So again....all this points to the team (specifically our d) not being ready to be real!!!!

be patient!  Let the prospects develop and sign the right guys over the next couple years.

just seems to be forcing a situation and everyone here is on board and or trying to find reasons to justify every move jb makes.

and I’m a fan. Just saying this makes no sense right now imo.

Are you a.... nihilist?

I don’t know how you can win anything with such negative energy.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

So again....all this points to the team (specifically our d) not being ready to be real!!!!

be patient!  Let the prospects develop and sign the right guys over the next couple years.

just seems to be forcing a situation and everyone here is on board and or trying to find reasons to justify every move jb makes.

and I’m a fan. Just saying this makes no sense right now imo.

Well on the flip side people penciling guys like Rafferty and Woo into our lineup the next couple seasons, they might be disappointed.

We need legit top 4 D-men in the lineup beyond Edler and Tanev who are both off the books in the next couple years.

If the cost is low it’s a good security move in case Tanev ends up walking. And if we do re-sign Tanev and Barrie is asking too much let him walk.

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Stetcher woke up last night. Dunno if he should be part of a deal... yet...

It was one game. He’s been a mediocre defenceman his entire career. 5/6 at best. The fact is that his qualifying offer is going to exceed his true worth so if you can fetch assets for an expiring contract you do it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Maybe Barrie is the answer to all of the team's problems (real or imagined). Maybe he would re-sign here for a hometown discount. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

If he is the be all and end all as some folks are suggesting (and once again, maybe he would be), I can't help thinking that the Leafs will want more than what is being suggested as a fair trade in various proposals.

regards,  G.

• Thanks 1

I do like the offense that Barrie brings and think he would fit well in Green’s system but at what cost? I haven’t seen him play enough but will his defensive game hold up? I think the Canucks need a more physical defensive dman with mobility. Historically we win Cups with bigger, physical defense. I’m fine with giving up a bottom 6 forward and Stetcher but we can’t afford to give up more draft picks before we don’t have any left. Assuming we do trade for him. Maybe looking forward to next year if you want to re-sign Barrie, you try and get a hometown discount, get Tyramkin back, and cut Myers loose? 

Edited by ButterBean

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Scoring isn't a problem for this team. It's keeping the puck out. They're almost 3 GAA. That simply is unacceptable if you want to win the cup. And that won't happen this year either. They're going to have to fail once or twice collectively as core and learn from that and adjust accordingly. 

At the same time this team is much better when they’re pushing the pace offensively rather than sitting back not moving the puck.

Say what you want about Barries defensive play but he can move the puck.

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

It was one game. He’s been a mediocre defenceman his entire career. 5/6 at best. The fact is that his qualifying offer is going to exceed his true worth so if you can fetch assets for an expiring contract you do it. 

Agreed

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning wouldn't cripple the team like that. Gaudette isn’t going anywhere. Stecher might, but I highly doubt that Benning would want Barrie when he has a far more complete offensive defenseman in Hughes. 

I would think that the two most sensible trade candidates Benning has are Roussel and Benn. Stecher has chemistry with Edler making for a decent 2nd pairing. 

If Benning can trade Roussel and Benn fir draft picks and convince Bogosian to sign as a depth defenseman, that would be ideal. 

that’s what I was kinda saying he’d have to be  insane to even suggest an offer like that. And I think he likes his job. 
Trading  players like gaudette who’s  part of the young core that’s going to be an actual foundation type player for years here. 
sutter is the guy I’d love to see leave. 

Edited by Tracksuit

You can never have too much offence from the backend but the Canucks defensive woes outweigh their offensive ones by a landslide so I for one am skeptical about acquiring a player like Barrie, who’s not exactly known for his defence, who’s going to fetch 6-7 million in the offseason. The Canucks need a big, sturdy, stalwart top 3 guy who can defend and plays physical. I thought Myers would have been that guy but he’s more cold than he is hot. 

Just now, Pickly said:

You can never have too much offence from the backend but the Canucks defensive woes outweigh their offensive ones by a landslide so I for one am skeptical about acquiring a player like Barrie, who’s not exactly known for his defence, who’s going to fetch 6-7 million in the offseason. The Canucks need a big, sturdy, stalwart top 3 guy who can defend and plays physical. I thought Myers would have been that guy but he’s more cold than he is hot. 

Yea but are those guys available right now?

The only reason I would think Benning is considering this is because a) they have interest in signing Barrie already and b ) they don’t think they can re-sign Stecher.

The only question we would have to ask is are we a better team with Barrie or Stecher. I guess that’s debatable.