The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Juice also said he likes Vancouver's chemistry and their d-core is a strength of the team right now.

He doesn't think bringing in a guy just to bring in a guy is a good idea - could mess with the chemistry which is obviously working really well right now. 

Hallelujah. We don't need Barrie.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Juice also said he likes Vancouver's chemistry and their d-core is a strength of the team right now.

He doesn't think bringing in a guy just to bring in a guy is a good idea - could mess with the chemistry which is obviously working really well right now. 

Easy to be high on the team after a win like that.

But let’s not forget the games before that where our D was playing awful and Markstrom was standing on his head to win us games.

This team definitely could still use some upgrades. If Barrie is that upgrade then I’ll welcome it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Read that Carolina Hurricanes may be looking for a Goalie since both of their goalies got hurt (don't know how bad).  And they are also looking to add a D.

Demko + Benn

for

1st 2020 (CAR or TOR).

OJ + Baer + Stecher

for

Barrie.

I think Barrie can do well here.  Even if just as a rental.  The above moves addresses getting back a high draft and clearing cap space.  Would need to look for a cheap back up goalie though.

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

In fact, the entire panel agreed that the Canucks don’t need to make a move. 

The same panel that probably thought trading for Miller and Toffoli were bad trades.

Of course we don’t need to make a move but the fact is we’re already all in. If we can load up as much as possible without draining any high picks or prospects I say go for it.

A stretch of playoff games will only increase the value of our players and help us with trades going forward.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Toronto makes last night's game competitive with an NHLer instead of Barrie on D.  Not only was he a complete liability out there, he wasn't even attempting to prevent scoring chances.  Keep this worthless piece of garbage on the Laffs, where that kind of pitiful excuse for defense is acceptable.

Wanted no part of him when he was with Colorado, and at this point he has negative value.

Really? Even when he was a 50 plus point Dman with a +5 rating , or 38 point and a +17? He had some solid years in Colorado, but to say you wanted no part of a 50 point blueliner is a bit silly. His defensive game has taken a step back though and that's concerning.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Easy to be high on the team after a win like that.

But let’s not forget the games before that where our D was playing awful and Markstrom was standing on his head to win us games.

This team definitely could still use some upgrades. If Barrie is that upgrade then I’ll welcome it.

Barrie may be an upgrade on someone, but not defensively. If you’re looking for someone to help us from getting caved in on shots, Barrie won’t help.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

Really? Even when he was a 50 plus point Dman with a +5 rating , or 38 point and a +17? He had some solid years in Colorado, but to say you wanted no part of a 50 point blueliner is a bit silly. His defensive game has taken a step back though and that's concerning.

Yes.  His defensive game is so bad that he's still hurting the team.  Zero interest in defensemen who can't play defense.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

His defensive game has “taken a hit” because Toronto is a dumpster fire on team defence. 

The problem in Toronto is that the coach and the GM were not on the same page.

Dubas was trying to build a team built purely on skill and offence while Babcock was trying to play them like his classic Red Wings teams. It was never going to work.

Now you have Keefe trying to pick up the pieces of a team with no identity. 

I have a feeling Green and the leadership on this team could get Barrie back on track and buying into a system.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Yes.  His defensive game is so bad that he's still hurting the team.  Zero interest in defensemen who can't play defense.

+17 with 38 points says otherwise. Benning likes Barrie enough to be pursuing him for a second time in 12 months Benning's opinion>>>>>Heffy’s 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

36 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

If Risto and Severson were reasonable possibilities sure, but I just don't think Stecher gets either of those guys and I would rather have Stecher than Barrie

Pretty sure nobody suggested Stecher straight across.

Stecher, Virtanen and a prospect however...

That said, it's probably more of a summer trade if something like that happens at all.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The problem in Toronto is that the coach and the GM were not on the same page.

Dubas was trying to build a team built purely on skill and offence while Babcock was trying to play them like his classic Red Wings teams. It was never going to work.

Now you have Keefe trying to pick up the pieces of a team with no identity. 

I have a feeling Green and the leadership on this team could get Barrie back on track and buying into a system.

This is exactly it, it's not that Barrie can't play defence that opinion os laughable at best. The issue is Toronto has zero identity, zero buy in from players and too much money invested in forwards that they have Muzzin, Barrie and inexperienced Dermott and 3 pylons. And an injured Reilly 

Edited by canuck73_3

2 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Barrie may be an upgrade on someone, but not defensively. If you’re looking for someone to help us from getting caved in on shots, Barrie won’t help.

Comparing him to how he fits in the leafs isn’t really fair though. We have better forwards that backcheck and help recover the puck where in Toronto the D have little help.

Fans also complain on here when this team sits back and collapses because they can’t move the puck up. That becomes less of a problem when you add more puck movers.

Barrie could also be sheltered more than he is in Toronto because of our depth on D and a better partner in Edler.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Pretty sure nobody suggested Stecher straight across.

Stecher, Virtanen and a prospect however...

That said, it's probably more of a summer trade if something like that happens at all.

Virtanen has taken a step forward this year and is carving out a nice role for himself, I don't see them moving him although his stock is the highest it's been since he was drafted.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1