The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

1 hour ago, zduck14 said:

I'd love to see Barrie with Edler. Over his career, Edler has always played his best hockey with offensive guys like Ehrhoff, Salo, Karlsson (international).

It would also give the Canucks more than one d pairing that can actually move the puck taking some of the pressure off Hughes. 

Only potential downside I can think of may be the cost.....

Very well said!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CJ44 said:

Virtanen has taken a step forward this year and is carving out a nice role for himself, I don't see them moving him although his stock is the highest it's been since he was drafted.

Hey, I don't disagree. Partially why I feel if something like this move happens, it happens in the summer, not the TDL. I'd be wary of moving him before seeing what 'playoff Virtanen' looks like.

But as you note, he probably hasn't been worth more in trade...

Plus if Benning does manage to re-sign Toffoli, the writing is pretty much on the wall that one of Virtanen/Boeser is getting moved for a D IMO. (Yet another reason this likely happens in the summer).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yes.  His defensive game is so bad that he's still hurting the team.  Zero interest in defensemen who can't play defense.

There are former Norris trophy winners and candidates with a worse plus minus than Barrie, Erik Karlsson was a -15 on the season but you can make a strong argument he wasnt necessarily hurting the team, and that the team is undoubtedly better with him in the lineup. Im of course not saying Barrie is a better defensive player but the game will always have a place for "offensive defenseman" with multiple 50 plus point seasons. The power play is a big role.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

There are former Norris trophy winners and candidates with a worse plus minus than Barrie, Erik Karlsson was a -15 on the season but you can make a strong argument he wasnt necessarily hurting the team, and that the team is undoubtedly better with him in the lineup. Im of course not saying Barrie is a better defensive player but the game will always have a place for "offensive defenseman" with multiple 50 plus point seasons. The power play is a big role.

Yes, but the "offensive defenseman" should still be capable of playing like an NHLer in his own zone.  It's not an unreasonable standard and Barrie fails to meet it by a wide margin.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yes, but the "offensive defenseman" should still be capable of playing like an NHLer in his own zone.  It's not an unreasonable standard and Barrie fails to meet it by a wide margin.

Drew Doughty was a -34 last year, and is -18 this season, the statistics are saying Barrie isnt necessarily as bad in his own zone as other top NHL calibre players. My point is your argument is grossly exaggerated and seems to come from personal emotions rather than  actual statistics. I can name many other offensive dmen with similar numbers who are considered effective players in their role.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Plus if Benning does manage to re-sign Toffoli, the writing is pretty much on the wall that one of Virtanen/Boeser is getting moved for a D IMO. (Yet another reason this likely happens in the summer).

I disagree. All it takes is one injury and you need a player to fall into the top 6. Loui just needs to be off the books. And I’m pretty positive that will happen this year - crazy I know. Boeser just now going to be 23 years old. He’s part of the core and I have a hard time seeing them part with him. People can say all they want about his production but he’s very young still and goal scorers are not easy to come by. Virtanen isn’t going to make huge money anytime soon either. I just can’t see it - but I’ll sit and watch all the trade rumours and proposals about Brock or JV being traded this summer 

Edited by Devron44

1 minute ago, CJ44 said:

Drew Doughty was a -34 last year, and is -18 this season, the statistics are saying Barrie isnt necessarily as bad in his own zone as other top NHL calibre players. My point is your argument is grossly exaggerated and seems to come from personal emotions rather than  actual statistics. I can name many other offensive dmen with similar numbers who are considered effective players in their role.

Eye test.  Watch the guy play in any random game and he's inevitably a trainwreck in his own zone.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Eye test.  Watch the guy play in any random game and he's inevitably a trainwreck in his own zone.

Yet hes a Norris trophy winner, multiple Norris trophy nominee and multiple Stanley Cup champion whos won at every level and regarded as one of the top tier defensemen in the league. See how the things your saying are easily discredited by facts? 

Edited by CJ44

1 minute ago, CJ44 said:

Yet hes a Norris trophy winner, multiple Norris trophy nominee and multiple Stanley Cup champion whos won at every level and regarded as one of the top tier defensemen in the league. See how the things your saying are easily discredited facts? 

I don't recall Barrie winning any of these things.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1