The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

Just gotta ride out LE contract. He’s kind of grown on me over the past while. If you forget he makes 6 million, I like him as a player. As for Barrie, I’ve wondered why and how he would improve our team. I think it would be very marginal and would not at all help us cap wise. He’s going to cost money and term. Practically anyone decent always does when UFA. We gotta grow these kids (Joulevi/Rathbone/Woo etc) into NHL Dmen. It’s the only way imo. If your going to go out and get a Dman. It’s got to be less risk, just a steady decent defensive dman.

8 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Just gotta ride out LE contract. He’s kind of grown on me over the past while. If you forget he makes 6 million, I like him as a player. As for Barrie, I’ve wondered why and how he would improve our team. I think it would be very marginal and would not at all help us cap wise. He’s going to cost money and term. Practically anyone decent always does when UFA. We gotta grow these kids (Joulevi/Rathbone/Woo etc) into NHL Dmen. It’s the only way imo. If your going to go out and get a Dman. It’s got to be less risk, just a steady decent defensive dman.

Exactly, only way out it now is pretty much if he retires or if we are willing to pay the piper to move him. Other alternative would've been to make a trade for an equally bad contract (see Lucic). He's providing a role and doing a decent job of it, even if it's not 6 million dollars worth. Pretty much just have to ride it out.

Barrie can be productive on a high powered offense, but he's shown in Toronto that he's not as productive if he isn't the go-to guy. The same will happen here since he will be behind Hughes. So unless he wants to sign a 1 year bargain (talking like 2 million dollars) contract to prove himself, he's going to be too expensive for what he provides (secondary offense and very questionable defense).

Spend the money for Tanev and hope Stecher signs for cheap or go with another cheap alternative. If we want to have a guy like Barrie, we might as well give Rafferty a look at his contract value and lesser risk.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I certainly hope the Canucks avoid Barrie at all costs. Would rather see Rathbone. 

Agreed. Was never on 'team Barrie'.  It would have been a serious mistake to land him in front of Hughes - or Erik Karlsson for that matter.

Neither of them were or are principal needs.

If the team is going to succeed - it will need to do so via it's own young talent, with a solid foundation.  Barrie aint that.

I think they were very wise to avoid these 'big tickets' and pursue the actual complements the needed.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Would Krug be a better fit?

To make it work we would need Tanev and Toff to walk

probably more like Tanev and Stecher, imo he's going to get somewhere between 7 and 8 mil which is what those two guys would get combined.

We'd have an AHL level 3rd pair to start the year with but that top 4 would be pretty damn solid. 

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Krug

Juolevi/Rathbone-Raffery

9 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

probably more like Tanev and Stecher, imo he's going to get somewhere between 7 and 8 mil which is what those two guys would get combined.

We'd have an AHL level 3rd pair to start the year with but that top 4 would be pretty damn solid. 

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Krug

Juolevi/Rathbone-Raffery

I'd pull the trigger on a 7 x 5 for Krug.

1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

I'd pull the trigger on a 7 x 5 for Krug.

for sure, I don't know that Boston is going to be all that keen to let him go, they do have the cap room to keep him if they want to.

I think a lot of this hinges on what Tanev is willing to do. If he is OK with doing an extension at his current salary level then i think he ends his career here. If he's looking for 5+ I don't think Jim goes that way. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

for sure, I don't know that Boston is going to be all that keen to let him go, they do have the cap room to keep him if they want to.

I think a lot of this hinges on what Tanev is willing to do. If he is OK with doing an extension at his current salary level then i think he ends his career here. If he's looking for 5+ I don't think Jim goes that way. 

It will take a lot of money to pull Krug away from Boston.  I think Krug is easily going to get 7+ in the market.

I would pass on Tanev at 5M+ too.  He is on the wrong side of 30 and has had multiple injuries in his career.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Exactly, only way out it now is pretty much if he retires or if we are willing to pay the piper to move him. Other alternative would've been to make a trade for an equally bad contract (see Lucic). He's providing a role and doing a decent job of it, even if it's not 6 million dollars worth. Pretty much just have to ride it out.

Barrie can be productive on a high powered offense, but he's shown in Toronto that he's not as productive if he isn't the go-to guy. The same will happen here since he will be behind Hughes. So unless he wants to sign a 1 year bargain (talking like 2 million dollars) contract to prove himself, he's going to be too expensive for what he provides (secondary offense and very questionable defense).

Spend the money for Tanev and hope Stecher signs for cheap or go with another cheap alternative. If we want to have a guy like Barrie, we might as well give Rafferty a look at his contract value and lesser risk.

I wpuld rather sign someone like Hamonic to a cheap contract then get an offensive D which we already have in Edler, Myers, Hughes and the upcoming Joulevi and Rathbone. We only have Tanev as the most reliable defensive D and Hamonic would make our D better.

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Myers

Hamonic-Stecher/Joulevi

Fantenberg

This would give us another shot blocker and PKer anf make us a better team defensively.

19 hours ago, BoKnows said:

It will take a lot of money to pull Krug away from Boston.  I think Krug is easily going to get 7+ in the market.

I would pass on Tanev at 5M+ too.  He is on the wrong side of 30 and has had multiple injuries in his career.

I think Tanev will sign for 3 to 4 million, especially with the cap staying flat. We need to re-sign him if we cant replace him in UFA. I doubt we have a D like Tanev in the system as Rathbone and Joulevi are more offensive minded D.

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

Agreed. Was never on 'team Barrie'.  It would have been a serious mistake to land him in front of Hughes - or Erik Karlsson for that matter.

Neither of them were or are principal needs.

If the team is going to succeed - it will need to do so via it's own young talent, with a solid foundation.  Barrie aint that.

I think they were very wise to avoid these 'big tickets' and pursue the actual complements the needed.

Barrie is not worth whatever he commands as a UFA. He isnt like a Trouba or Doughty to command a high salary. Would sign Barrie to a max deal of 3 to 4 million. His defense is worst than stecher.

17 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I wpuld rather sign someone like Hamonic to a cheap contract then get an offensive D which we already have in Edler, Myers, Hughes and the upcoming Joulevi and Rathbone. We only have Tanev as the most reliable defensive D and Hamonic would make our D better.

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Myers

Hamonic-Stecher/Joulevi

Fantenberg

This would give us another shot blocker and PKer anf make us a better team defensively.

Hamonic is an RD. Would love to be able to add him, but I think he's going to be looking for around 4 million. He would be replacing Stecher and would have to sign 2 million or less as we are already a bit tight on cap as it is. Not sure if he would go that low, but if it keeps him close to home where he wanted to be before, then it might be a consideration to try and be part of a good team and go for a run. A Juolevi-Hamonic 3rd pairing would look quite nice.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Hamonic is an RD. Would love to be able to add him, but I think he's going to be looking for around 4 million. He would be replacing Stecher and would have to sign 2 million or less as we are already a bit tight on cap as it is. Not sure if he would go that low, but if it keeps him close to home where he wanted to be before, then it might be a consideration to try and be part of a good team and go for a run. A Juolevi-Hamonic 3rd pairing would look quite nice.

Hamonic probably going home to Manitoba to play for the Jets. Otherwise, would be a good addition

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hamonic probably going home to Manitoba to play for the Jets. Otherwise, would be a good addition

Well he specifically wanted to be in Western Canada when he asked out of NYI. If he wanted to be close to Manitoba, wouldn't staying in NY been closer geographically? So unless his reasons for wanting to be in Western Canada has changed, not sure if he would be heading to the Jets.

Just looked it up and Calgary is closer than Brooklyn, so maybe you're right. But it does seem odd that he requested specifically a western Canadian team, which I suppose technically Winnipeg qualifies as.

Edited by theo5789
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well he specifically wanted to be in Western Canada when he asked out of NYI. If he wanted to be close to Manitoba, wouldn't staying in NY been closer geographically? So unless his reasons for wanting to be in Western Canada has changed, not sure if he would be heading to the Jets.

Just looked it up and Calgary is closer than Brooklyn, so maybe you're right. But it does seem odd that he requested specifically a western Canadian team, which I suppose technically Winnipeg qualifies as.

Not sure, maybe he wants to be a Coiler? Sat out coming back, Lames going to beat Dallas I would assume so he is missing out on a decent playoff drive potentially

If we can't manage to resign Marky, Tanev and Taffoli, I would be ok signing Hamonic instead of Tanev if that price difference makes it work to also sign the other two. I prefer Tanev but Hamonic brings a similar game, 1 year younger and cheaper. 

37 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Not sure, maybe he wants to be a Coiler? Sat out coming back, Lames going to beat Dallas I would assume so he is missing out on a decent playoff drive potentially

Well if his Western Canada stance still holds true, then all 3 of Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton would be in the mix. I'm not so sure Calgary beats out Dallas. Depends if Dallas gets Bishop and Seguin back sooner than later.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:04 AM, DefCon1 said:

Barrie is not worth whatever he commands as a UFA. He isnt like a Trouba or Doughty to command a high salary. Would sign Barrie to a max deal of 3 to 4 million. His defense is worst than stecher.

I would have been all for trying to sign Barrie early in the year. Like his offense, but don't really need him anymore with younger/cheaper guys already here or coming soon in Hughes, Rathbone, Rafferty, and OJ.

• Like 1

In all honesty, the only concern I have going forward is watching our young D develop, and if Tanev moves on, finding another defensively responsible veteran D that can move the puck and stabilize the PK.  

See what this team does through the playoffs if we can go a round or 2 deeper I think don’t change much see what happens when we are a year older with more experience, maybe add a piece or 2 at the deadline. This team is rolling without taffoli in the lineup right now, not sure what it would look like with him in but he’s the odd man out in my eyes at this exact moment, (that could change) Barrie is not worth the money he’s not what we need, agree that hamonic could replace tanev for most part but I’d rather find a way to shed a million elsewhere and keep tanman around as he’s a bigger part to the puzzle that a lot give him credit for