The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

Just now, luckylager said:

Honestly, I'd be so pissed if we gave up anything for Barrie, because he sucks at playing defense.

Please Gaud no. Do not let that happen.

Hell, I'd be pissed if we took Barrie for free.  He simply doesn't belong in the NHL with the way he plays in his own end.  Leafs will have to add picks to get rid of that pylon.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Manson is solid defensively while Risto is absolute garbage in his own zone.  I'd much prefer Manson, and honestly wouldn't take Risto for free.

While you are certainly right in the assessment of them, I feel our team is built to push the tempo more than trap and defend.  Other than Hughes, our D think the game on the slower side.  I think some offensive insulation on D could actually serve us well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

Would anybody consider Tanev for Barrie?  Gives some addition scoring options and I still believe Myers can play with Hughes.  

Edler Barrie

Hughes Myers

Tryamkin Stecher

Benn

I’m not sure if I would but I think you have to consider it.

If you asked me last year this time I would of said yes. But now?No. After seeing Tanev paired with Hughes, Myers as depth on the right side, Hughes with his offense. I just don't see Barrie a fit here. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hell, I'd be pissed if we took Barrie for free.  He simply doesn't belong in the NHL with the way he plays in his own end.  Leafs will have to add picks to get rid of that pylon.

He's got legit offensive upside, but a complete disaster in his own zone.

I remember watching him play for the Vic Grizzlies (bchl) years ago and in all honesty, his d play hasn't improved since.

Unbelievable the guy is a "$5m player"

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You don't pay a defenseman who can't play in his own end 5 million.

Barrie puts up 50 PTS a season and can get the puck out of your zone. So what he isn't the best defensive defensemen?  Just play him with Edler. Any defensive errors, he will make up at the offensive end of the rink. Which Tanev can't do. The other night Hughes gave Tanev the puck 3 times on one shift in the Ozone. Tanev first shot was blocked, the second missed the net (high) and the third he fumbled the perfect pass, panicked and dumped the puck into the corner. Hughes then said "F it"  and had 2 beautiful plays on net, unlucky not to get a point.

Edited by Outsiders
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It makes more sense as to why Linden left. 

I really hope they don't acquire Barrie. I'm a huge fan of the "puck-moving" d-men, but please stop sacrificing the future for 1 playoff run. The team isn't good enough to win the cup yet. 

Edited by Darkstar
  • Upvote 2

I really hope JB doesn't trade any more of our future away. This is not the year we need to load up, we need to get into the playoffs but not make a deep run. That run is coming in 3 years or so, which is when we can burn the farm, but don't do it too soon.

Only trade if there's a hockey trade to be made and to be honest I'd rather Myers over Barrie for the playoffs. Toronto will want Stecher + Gaudette and I wouldn't dare move Gaudette at this stage in his career.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Barrie puts up 50 PTS a season and can get the puck out of your zone. So what he isn't the best defensive defensemen?  Just play him with Edler. Any defensive errors, he will make up at the offensive end of the rink. Which Tanev can't do. The other night Hughes gave Tanev the puck 3 times on one shift in the Ozone. Tanev first shot was blocked, the second missed the net (high) and the third he fumbled the perfect pass, panicked and dumped the puck into the corner. Hughes then said "F it"  and had 2 beautiful plays on net, unlucky not to get a point.

This.

i counted at least 6 sequences that involved getting himself and the puck into a clearing head up and looking to feed someone.  Anyone; to finish.

we need more finishers on this team.

Edited by riffraff

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Instead of getting offensive defacemen. How about we try to get a d-man learning the ropes in the NHL, it will be cheaper. 

Noah to build our defensive Ark

Noah Dobson New York Islanders, 30 NHL games, 5 points, -3, 6'4", 193 lbs. Also a right hand shot. 

Trade Tanev for Dobson, Islanders have tons of cap space. Islanders want to hold onto a playoff spot. 

Canucks get bigger on the back end, and younger, and he's earning under a million until 2022. 

Solves a lot of problems. Not sure if Lou would be willing to pull the trigger on a deal like that though. 

Keep dreaming. Expect one of podkolzin, hoglander, basically any of our top 3 prospects to go the other way. Tanev alone aint going to cut it, by a loooooooooooong shot

31 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Keep dreaming. Expect one of podkolzin, hoglander, basically any of our top 3 prospects to go the other way. Tanev alone aint going to cut it, by a loooooooooooong shot

Which won’t ever happen because Podkolzin and Höglander are untouchable and there is zero chance Barrie would fetch either of them. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Darkstar said:

It makes more sense as to why Linden left. 

I really hope they don't acquire Barrie. I'm a huge fan of the "puck-moving" d-men, but please stop sacrificing the future for 1 playoff run. The team isn't good enough to win the cup yet. 

So over the moaning and groaning about “sacrificing” the future. Management has built a strong pool of prospects and have the ability to start utilizing those assets to bring in players that can play now and are still relatively young. Sure we might trade a pick that’ll become an impact player one day but just as likely that pick/prospect could turn into a Hunter shinkaruk or a Cody Hodgson. There’s risk/reward to any trade that’s completed just like there’s risk/reward to any prospect picked in a draft. 

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

25 minutes ago, WolfxHaley said:

So over the moaning and groaning about “sacrificing” the future. Management has built a strong pool of prospects and have the ability to start utilizing those assets to bring in players that can play now and are still relatively young. Sure we might trade a pick that’ll become an impact player one day but just as likely that pick/prospect could turn into a Hunter shinkaruk or a Cody Hodgson. There’s risk/reward to any trade that’s completed just like there’s risk/reward to any prospect picked in a draft. 

This is exactly what i dont get from these so called fans... when do we start being competitive ? We cant rebuild forever.. kids need the win mode mentality now, all draft picks are gonna be a risk at the end we need to start getting better and surround the kids with players who want to win... god CDC so called fans give me the nerves

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Wonder if a Tanev for Barrie straight up deal would work?

- Tanev and Rielly played together at the worlds.

- TOR needs a defensive man

- we get a PP2 QB.

- Canucks shouldn't pay Tanev 5+ in free agency

- Tyson Barrie will cost 6.5? 50 PT d man would he take a little less to play here? 5 x 6 (Myers contract)

Edler-Barrie

Hughes-Myers 

Barrie is a better D in the West. He’s lost in the East. The Toronto market is decimating him. He would probably thrive in the Vancouver market as he has with the Avalanche.

Tanev is having a career year and is healthy.

Barrie is exactly what the Canucks need.

From what I’m reading and seeing in the media, the names thrown around are Stetcher, Gaudette, Juolevi and DiPietro. 

Toronto has major work ethics problems at this juncture. There is even talk of whether Tavares was the right choice for Captain. Give me a break. They got rid of a coach because of the same problems that resurfaced under Dubas’s preferred pick for coach. 

With Markstrom-Demko, Vancouver is set in net for years. Yes Markstrom will re-sign.

TOR

Stetcher

DiPietro

VAN

Barrie

Edited by Me_