The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

Agree with the notion that any defensemen coming in should be able to actually play defense really well.

Barrie isn't that guy. Especially because he may be a rental, and he will then even demand a high paid contract.

We need to add solid defensemen in, now and in the future to insulate Hughes. Tanev and Edler (Our best defensive d-men) are not long for Vancouver.

Good d-men needs to be a top priority. Maybe we have those guys already? Maybe we need to add? And that may come from trading someone like Boeser.

We Have our two top centres, We have Miller as our #1 Winger. We can't have 3 other top 6 wingers that are paid top dollar like boeser makes. I dont think that will work for the cap.  We need to start bringing in overachievers (Like pittsburgh) and recycling players like that. And the timing in my mind is perfect. We have Podkolzin and hoglander. Thats 3 years each with cheap contracts and money can be allocated to others places that are in GREAT need now and in the long term: Defense.

Edited by Biasbieksa
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Biasbieksa said:

Agree with the notion that any defensemen coming in should be able to actually play defense really well.

Barrie isn't that guy. Especially because he may be a rental, and he will then even demand a high paid contract.

We need to add solid defensemen in, now and in the future to insulate Hughes. Tanev and Edler (Our best defensive d-men) are not long for Vancouver.

Good d-men needs to be a top priority. Maybe we have those guys already? Maybe we need to add? And that may come from trading someone like Boeser.

We Have our two top centres, We have Miller as our #1 Winger. We can't have 3 other top 6 wingers that are paid top dollar like boeser makes. I dont think that will work for the cap.  We need to start bringing in overachievers (Like pittsburgh) and recycling players like that. And the timing in my mind is perfect. We have Podkolzin and hoglander. Thats 3 years each with cheap contracts and money can be allocated to others places that are in GREAT need now and in the long term: Defense.

I agree with you on the defensive game any incoming D should bring. I would add that any incoming D should also add a serious dose of physicality. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Wonder if a Tanev for Barrie straight up deal would work?

- Tanev and Rielly played together at the worlds.

- TOR needs a defensive man

- we get a PP2 QB.

- Canucks shouldn't pay Tanev 5+ in free agency

- Tyson Barrie will cost 6.5? 50 PT d man would he take a little less to play here? 5 x 6 (Myers contract)

Edler-Barrie

Hughes-Myers 

So..... you are cool with 3 small D-men in the lineup with Barrie, Stecher and Hughes??

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We have about 10 defensemen who are better than that useless piece of trash.  Barrie is such a liability letting him play in his own end is like giving the other team a pp.

Sakic must have laughed hard when he was able to dump Barrie and return (in the process) a guy who plays hard and is a serious rat in Kadri.  

16 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

So..... you are cool with 3 small D-men in the lineup with Barrie, Stecher and Hughes??

Stecher is likely gone soon, the arbitration award that he will get will price him out. Remains to be seen how Benning addresses that spot, maybe Rafferty is given a shot or we find a stop-gap on the FA market. I don't have any issue with 2 smaller defenseman in out top 4, we may need to find the right partners for them but size is not the reason why I would say no to Barrie. The assets and what it will cost us in the near future is far more pertinent imo. Finding top 4 RHD is difficult, unless you are drafting them. Barrie has his deficiencies but he would make us a better team. Benning went after him this summer, if this speculation is true then that interest hasn't waned even with Hughes' emergence. 

Edited by Toews
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

Stecher is likely gone soon, the arbitration award that he will get will price him out. Remains to be seen how Benning addresses that spot, maybe Rafferty is given a shot or we find a stop-gap on the FA market. I don't have any issue with 2 smaller defenseman in out top 4, we may need to find the right partners for them but size is not the reason why I would say no to Barrie. The assets and what it will cost us in the near future is far more pertinent imo. Finding top 4 RHD is difficult, unless you are drafting them. Barrie has his deficiencies but he would make us a better team. Benning went after him this summer, if this speculation is true then that interest hasn't waned even with Hughes' emergence. 

Tryamkin plays the right side.  

tbh I really like the idea of stealing Barrie from the Leaves, man it must be desperate times over there. I know people have concerns over him being a tire fire in the d zone, but I like this trade idea (depending on price) because we need to be much better with 5 on 5 scoring. Hughes-Tanev, Edler-Barrie as our top 4 is going to drive a lot of even strength scoring, and lets face it our PP has been ruined by Newell, its sad but he's got them so confused its absolute trash, and in the playoffs we're not going to get many power plays so we need to be more dangerous 5 on 5.

The Leaves need instant help and probably want some future piece they can put on a pedestal:

Stecher 1/2 retained + Lind for Barrie, if Benning and Barrie's agent can agree on an extension in principle. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

This is exactly what i dont get from these so called fans... when do we start being competitive ? We cant rebuild forever.. kids need the win mode mentality now, all draft picks are gonna be a risk at the end we need to start getting better and surround the kids with players who want to win... god CDC so called fans give me the nerves

Apparently we are only allowed to roll the dice on draft picks. If a draft pick doesn’t work out... oh well we tried. If we trade that draft pick for a player and that player doesn’t work out then the world gets set on fire.

I see no advantage in trading for Barrie... unless the Canucks knew that they could flip him very quickly and for something greater than what was given up to get him in the first place.

regards,  G.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

tbh I really like the idea of stealing Barrie from the Leaves, man it must be desperate times over there. I know people have concerns over him being a tire fire in the d zone, but I like this trade idea (depending on price) because we need to be much better with 5 on 5 scoring. Hughes-Tanev, Edler-Barrie as our top 4 is going to drive a lot of even strength scoring, and lets face it our PP has been ruined by Newell, its sad but he's got them so confused its absolute trash, and in the playoffs we're not going to get many power plays so we need to be more dangerous 5 on 5.

The Leaves need instant help and probably want some future piece they can put on a pedestal:

Stecher 1/2 retained + Lind for Barrie, if Benning and Barrie's agent can agree on an extension in principle. 

I know our PP doesn't look that good while watching, but we still sit top five in the league I'm pretty sure..

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Defensive liabilities get exposed more in the playoffs.  See Gardiner and Shattenkirk for example.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Gee I hope JB isn’t adding to Stecher to bring in Barrie. 

3 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

I know our PP doesn't look that good while watching, but we still sit top five in the league I'm pretty sure..

its too easily shut down, and in long streaks. And we won't get nearly as many in the post-season. Barrie is a quick fix for more even strength scoring.