The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Defensive liabilities get exposed more in the playoffs.  See Gardiner, Jake.

Hearing about the Canes, who are missing Hamilton right now, trying to dump Gardiner.  How bad is Gardiner is the team he just signed with, who needs D because of injury, are trying to just get rid of him?  We definitely don’t want D men who refuse to play D. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Defensive liabilities get exposed more in the playoffs.  See Gardiner and Shattenkirk for example.

sure but was Barrie a problem in the playoffs? looking at his stats with Colorado I don't see an issue and can't recall a particularly egregious issue like with Gardiner. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gee I hope JB isn’t adding to Stecher to bring in Barrie. 

I think you'd have to, but holy crackers if we could just get him for Stecher thats a no-brainer imo. Nothing perfect, no player is perfect. We can shelter Barrie a little bit by putting him with Edler, and we gain the scoring. On balance we're better imo. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but was Barrie a problem in the playoffs? looking at his stats with Colorado I don't see an issue and can't recall a particularly egregious issue like with Gardiner. 

Barrie and Gardiner are way too easy to play against.  Troy plays a way more physical game.

12 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Irony is that Tanev has more points than Myers so far this season.

No wonder - his partner is top-5 in scoring for NHL D-men. He's going to benefit from that.

A lot of the data suggests Tanev is not doing very well when Hughes is not beside him. But he's a good fit now - I just hope Benning lets him walk July 1st, because he's not going to trend upwards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you'd have to, but holy crackers if we could just get him for Stecher thats a no-brainer imo. Nothing perfect, no player is perfect. We can shelter Barrie a little bit by putting him with Edler, and we gain the scoring. On balance we're better imo. 

It does sound intriguing.  I’m just thinking we are already too easy to play against, and Barrie makes that worse.  I’d rather we were adding meanness. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

No wonder - his partner is top-5 in scoring for NHL D-men. He's going to benefit from that.

A lot of the data suggests Tanev is not doing very well when Hughes is not beside him. But he's a good fit now - I just hope Benning lets him walk July 1st, because he's not going to trend upwards.

From your post it sounds better if JB trades Tanev now for future assets.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It does sound intriguing.  I’m just thinking we are already too easy to play against, and Barrie makes that worse.  I’d rather we were adding meanness. 

hey if we could get Mason by all means. But sometimes you have to do the trades in front of you. 

Troy is great, he plays with a ton of heart, but he's not a physical force. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

From your post it sounds better if JB trades Tanev now for future assets.  

Like the future assets he used to acquire Toffoli?

Tanev is a good fit for Hughes this season. He should be kept for this playoff run. In no way should the team weaken themselves this season. But he can walk July 1st - I'd much rather wait to see who is left without a team in free agency, who might be willing to sign at a discount to play with Hughes for 1 year and boost their stats for a better deal the following year.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

hey if we could get Mason by all means. But sometimes you have to do the trades in front of you. 

Troy is great, he plays with a ton of heart, but he's not a physical force. 

According to Friedman on his latest podcast Manson, Fowler, Lindholm, Rakell, Silfverberg are not going anywhere.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its too easily shut down, and in long streaks. And we won't get nearly as many in the post-season. Barrie is a quick fix for more even strength scoring. 

I don't think our problem this year is putting the puck in the net, we are one of the top scoring teams at even strength and on the PP. Our problem is keeping the puck out of our net which I don't think Barrie will really help...

1 minute ago, kylecanuck said:

I don't think our problem this year is putting the puck in the net, we are one of the top scoring teams at even strength and on the PP. Our problem is keeping the puck out of our net which I don't think Barrie will really help...

Middle of the pack at EV.   Top-3 on the PP.

5 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

actually GF 5 on 5 we're 18th in the league. I think thats where we're going to get killed down the stretch. We need to crush teams like MIN not just squeak out a win, or in that case a single point. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, mll said:

According to Friedman on his latest podcast Manson, Fowler, Lindholm, Rakell, Silfverberg are not going anywhere.

well this is it. My feeling is if you can make your team better you do it, sometimes you can't land the perfect player but you can get a better player. 

29 minutes ago, D-Money said:

True but that is mitigated by Hughes getting over 40% of his points from the power play (which Tanev does not get any ice time).  Though I suppose having Tanev as a D partner on 5 on 5 situationss is a hinderence to Hughes offensively.  Nevertheless Imho, Myers has to produce more.  That’s why he was given that big contract.  Hughes fantastic performance has deflected that for the time being.

As for letting Tanev walk, somebody has to replace those top 4 minutes.  This isn’t like 2011 where we had a guy like Salo as our #5.  You aren’t going to get such a player via free agency without paying a lot. ( another reason Myers got such a big contract).  Only depth in our blueline is on the 3rd pairing.  Scary to imagine a guy like a Benn getting top 4 minutes.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually GF 5 on 5 we're 18th in the league. I think thats where we're going to get killed down the stretch. We need to crush teams like MIN not just squeak out a win, or in that case a single point. 

Fair enough, but still, keeping the puck out of the net is a big problem that barrie will make worst, won't he?

Just now, kylecanuck said:

Fair enough, but still, keeping the puck out of the net is a big problem that barrie will make worst, won't he?

maybe? when I look at his actual stats his possession numbers are really good. I think with Edler he could possible be sheltered enough. Its a risk for sure tho. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe? when I look at his actual stats his possession numbers are really good. I think with Edler he could possible be sheltered enough. Its a risk for sure tho. 

So what do you think it would cost to get him? And would it be worth the price if we aren't going to be able to resign him? Could Rafferty, or joulevi maybe have the same impact as Barrie?

Barrie will be very expensive, especially considering it being a seller's market and prices are already high. Also not many Dmen left on market.

Barrie for Tanev could be something but I'd rather keep Tanev. He and Quinn are very good together. 

• Upvote 1