The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van - Buf

Vancouver: LW Sven Baertschi

Buffalo: D Zach Bogosian (50% retained)

-It’s unfortunate that Baer is stuck in Utica as I believe he can contribute at the NHL level. I think giving him a shot with a team like Buffalo could get him back into the NHL as a 10-20G scorer. Kovi turned things around for the Habs, I think Baer can do the same if he stays healthy. Maybe throw in Goldobin as a sweetener and see if he too can get a fresh start.

-Bogosian isn’t working out in Buffalo obviously. He is in the minors now and in the last year of his contract. He could be a good depth guy for our run. Big, tough and nasty RD. Could work out for the playoffs.

Edited by ken kaniff

they will likely be terminating his contract.  They have no need to take another cap dump to get rid of him 

Also. They’re as cap crunched as Vancouver.  Taking on an extra year of Baertschi makes no sense for them 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

they will likely be terminating his contract.  They have no need to take another cap dump to get rid of him 

Also. They’re as cap crunched as Vancouver.  Taking on an extra year of Baertschi makes no sense for them 

Aww man I hadn’t seen that. Just thought he was demoted. Oh well

1 hour ago, ken kaniff said:

Just thought he was demoted.

He was.

Then he didn't report to AHL, knowing full well that Buf would likely go ahead and seek to terminate his contract.  He's actually getting what he wanted all along this way.   There's a reasonable chance a playoff team signs him as a UFA now.

2 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

Vancouver: LW Sven Baertschi

Buffalo: D Zach Bogosian (50% retained)

-It’s unfortunate that Baer is stuck in Utica as I believe he can contribute at the NHL level. I think giving him a shot with a team like Buffalo could get him back into the NHL as a 10-20G scorer. Kovi turned things around for the Habs, I think Baer can do the same if he stays healthy. Maybe throw in Goldobin as a sweetener and see if he too can get a fresh start.

-Bogosian isn’t working out in Buffalo obviously. He is in the minors now and in the last year of his contract. He could be a good depth guy for our run. Big, tough and nasty RD. Could work out for the playoffs.

They have Bogosian on unconditional waivers to buy him out, you can have him for the price of a contract, probably about 750 - 950k

So, Let's figure out a destination for Baerstchi at the deadline, or let him sit till summer, he really doesn't hurt us between now and the end of the year, we have a LOT of LTIR, and if we need to package him during summer, we can.

If Benning is sure that he can bring Tryamkin back for the end of the season, when his team is out of the playoffs over in Russia, then lets look at trading Stecher to Toronto or somewhere else that needs defense, sign Bogosian for extra depth and then ride out the playoffs and see where we go.

But, no reason to take on his contract, even at 50% retained, and even if it is expiring. Just sign him when they terminate.