The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Boeser Deal(Discussion)

I'm not selling this. But I'd like some input/perspective on the possibility. I heard Minny GM Guerin is being aggressive. No secret they like the hometown kid, as well heard they're desiring rightys(talk last summer, if memory serves).

Van: Boeser

Minny: Greenway(RFA this summer) & 2020 1st(if Minny picks top-10, becomes the Pittsburgh 2020 1st & their 2021 2nd)

6'6", 225 lbs. nice to have vs teams like Las Veg.

But would this guy play hard for Van? A fair question, would say.

- Don't know if Minny would risk it now, they're playing pretty well(might sneak in). Could revisit this at draft.

- Would have to ensure Toffoli would sign, beforehand(perhaps 4 or 5 yrs, x 5 millish?)

A bottom-6 like this would be nice, late-season

Greenway - Gaudette - Motte

Roussel - Beagle/BS - MacEwen

Worst case? The bottom falls out(late-season), but we would still have TWO 1st's in a deep draft. Not the end of the world.

• Haha 1

May as well start out the thread that this is on condition that Tofu is resigning. Otherwise it makes no sense. 

And is Greenway really that good? He strikes me as the type of player who skates hard, checks hard, but doesn't actually accomplish much.. and he's 23 already. But I really don't know. What is his value would you say relative to that pick in the deal?

We seriously need s troll emoji.

can the mods please ban the posters (who are clearly not Canuck’s fans) who are trolling our boards?  It’s not like these are even sneaky trolls.  These are overtly other teams’ fans who are only here to poke Canuck’s fans.  

Where is @Gaudette Celly to put these trolling posters into their place?  Alf is not good at this stuff.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

May as well start out the thread that this is on condition that Tofu is resigning. Otherwise it makes no sense. 

And is Greenway really that good? He strikes me as the type of player who skates hard, checks hard, but doesn't actually accomplish much.. and he's 23 already. But I really don't know. What is his value would you say relative to that pick in the deal?

Our LW-side is a fairly weak point. Most of our depth there can't really come in & play a heavy game. As the season wears on, size & swagger becomes increasingly important. IF we had bodies like Tryamkin, MacEwen & this guy, feel our team would develop more of a pack-mentality(w/confidence). Also Bo, Jake & Miller..would make for a team that can play with skill, or wage war in PO trenches.

Haven't been as impressed with BB's game in recent months(attributable to injuries?)..don't know?

We would take less in such a deal, as only 1 player can contribute for the final 20 games.

So is he THAT good? Hard to answer that easily. There's always some risk in these deals. But with ED approaching we have to decide(is it 7 fwds?) anyways. With Jake & Toffoli(later VP & KL), would say our RW-side would be pretty solid, short & long term. Guys like Motte, MacEwen & Bailey could contribute(depth lines) next season, as well.

Lastly, this deal helps us the next couple seasons, cap-wise.

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

For Dumba and Greenway i'd think about it.

Rather have players than picks.

Dreger, Friedman report that the Wild are asking for a C1 or a C2 + a couple of 1st round picks or equivalent per Friedman.

Russo again writes:  “as much as Guerin would love not to trade Brodin or Dumba, if either player could get the Wild closer to a No. 1 center or bring back a No. 2 center and other assets, he’d seriously consider it.”

Would look for someone more reliable defensively than Dumba.  The Canucks are struggling to defend and Markstrom has mostly been bailing them out.   Dumba needs a reliable partner that can cover otherwise it can get pretty ugly defensively at times. 

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Can sign avg UFA's(Fanta, Benn ilk)

Rside: Myers, The Big Tree, Rafferty, Woo(I think CT & TS will move on)

Left side is a little thin. Hope Rathbone can be all we hope.

A little thin?  NONE of those guys I want anywhere near the top two pairings for a duration of longer than a game.  Benn has been passable at best on the third pairing as it is.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

55 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I'm not keen on trading Boeser. We have absolutely no reason to, unless someone comes along with a deal that we can't refuse. I see no point in shopping him though like all these proposals seem to indicate.

I agree, Boeser has had somewhat of a down year, but what if we trade him and he goes on to be a top player on another team.  he is part of our top core, I doubt Jim Benning does it. 

With Toffoli here, I would only trade Boeser under the following conditions:

1) We re-sign Toffoli 

2) Virtanen demonstrates that he’s worthy of a long term contract in which the AAV appears to be above market value at first, but ends up being a significant discount for us as Virtanen continues to grow his game.

3) Boeser is moved for a 1st round pick (recoup the 1st from the Miller Trade) + prospect.   This would also help us clear enough cap to sign Pettersson and Hughes.

If the Canucks can’t sign Toffoli however, keep Brock. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

With Toffoli here, I would only trade Boeser under the following conditions:

1) We re-sign Toffoli 

2) Virtanen demonstrates that he’s worthy of a long term contract in which the AAV appears to be above market value at first, but ends up being a significant discount for us as Virtanen continues to grow his game.

3) Boeser is moved for a 1st round pick (recoup the 1st from the Miller Trade) + prospect.   This would also help us clear enough cap to sign Pettersson and Hughes.

If the Canucks can’t sign Toffoli however, keep Brock. 

so you trade Boeser and Keep Toffoli,  how would it create more cap space? Toffoli would want a raise more than Boeser makes, also Jake would get a raise

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

so you trade Boeser and Keep Toffoli,  how would it create more cap space? Toffoli would want a raise more than Boeser makes, also Jake would get a raise

I’m not saying that keeping Toffoli instead of Boeser would give us more cap space.  What I said was that if the Canucks sign Toffoli, they will likely have to trade Boeser in order to create more cap space to sign Pettersson and Hughes.  

Let’s face it.   The Canucks won’t be able to afford all three of Toffoli, Boeser, and Virtanen after this season.   It ain’t happening.   Yes, Toffoli is older than Brock and will come at a higher cap hit (but longer term - 5 years), but trading Brock would allow us to recoup the first that was lost in the Miller deal.   We’d probably be able to get a 1st and a good prospect for Brock.    With Toffoli however, there’s no way the Canucks will sign him and then flip him for a 1st.   That would just make the organization look goofy, and would also give us a bad rep (ie UFA’s not wanting to sign here).  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bree2 said:

dont understand the logic either.  Trade young player get a high draft pick and fill the hole with a UFA.  older UFA will be worth almost nothing in 5 years, and the draft pick is a crap shoot.

By that logic then why dont we trade EP?  You can get a kings ransom in terms of draft picks and then use the money he would have cost and buy a proven top line centre as UFA.  If people want to hack Boeser's game lets hack EPs game apart too.  Soft on the boards, blows over like a leaf in the wind when touched, needs a bunch of mercenaries to protect him, and only 26th in NHL scoring (not fantastic for your top player).  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

And say Toffoli leaves. What happens then? Lol. Even with Toffoli I am not a fan of trading Boeser. He has character. He isn't the flashiest player by any means but he is a good if not great player when healthy. The adversity he is facing now will only make him even better. 

If y'all are deadset on giving up on him well we better get a top end right handed d-man. Someone like a Dumba or Parayko. Otherwise why bother? We have enough middling forwards and adding a 1st round pick does nothing for us for years. And lets be real, ownership is done trading 1st rounders in Minnesota. 

• Thanks 1