The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Boeser Deal(Discussion)

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Remember, not all GM's are completely sane. They sometimes do strange and impulsive things....

But, again, the question that I posed wasn't, "Would they", it was, if you're Benning, what deal would make you look hard at accepting it.

You're right. We'd trade Boeser for McDavid, Draisaitl and 3 1st round picks. 

I solved it everyone, you're welcome! 

Close topic. 

• Haha 2

If we end up missing the playoffs depending where we land in the lottery, I would consider moving Boeser & Van 1st to the Sens for the Sharks pick or Sutter, Boeser & 1st rd 2020 for Sharks 1st rd 2020 & NYI 2nd rd 2020

• Wat 2

4 hours ago, WCE said:

If we end up missing the playoffs depending where we land in the lottery, I would consider moving Boeser & Van 1st to the Sens for the Sharks pick or Sutter, Boeser & 1st rd 2020 for Sharks 1st rd 2020 & NYI 2nd rd 2020

There are so many interesting variations on DD deals w/OTT..Dorion's phone will be ringing off the hook.

But we need to know where these picks will be. Sens fans must be on pins & needles - I hope they get TWO top-3 picks! Gonna be a nasty team soon.

If you are gonna trade Brock you need to trade him for a stud defenceman.  Not a bunch of draft picks.  We have finished our rebuilding.  If you are gonna trade a 23 year old top 6 winger we need to get a young top 4 Dman in return.  Preferably a guy with size and intimidation factor.  Parayko or Zadorov fit the bill.

22 hours ago, WCE said:

We don't have 1st round or 2nd round pick in 2020.  We would have to trade our 2021 1st round pick.

There are pros(+) & cons(-) with almost any roster transaction. None of us here get JB's/fr office bigBUX$!$! to make these calls. We can only put our ideas out here for others to discuss, and/or crap on! Generalities are good conversation-fodder:

a- be a team w/high turnover.(Is this a + ?) Could be argued some recent successful teams(Hawks, Pens, TBay) have had fairly high turnover. They seem to be continually turning over roster-peripheral guys. Is it a cap-necessity, or strategy? I'd contend a good GM is always trying to get bigger/faster/younger/more skilled, etc...(in this cap paradigm), moreso, than compared to past decades, when GM's didn't have such constraints of a floor/ceiling.

Further, IF their team has been good for a while, it's likely their assets will be perceived as being higher quality, and/or have benefited from non-rushed, proper development.

(But the con -) With a younger team(not just this very moment..for those in a rush to contradict every F***ing point!)..but younger in a sense of many arriving ELC's over the coming yrs. Within such a team, perhaps the chemistry/friendship is more important, than say a team that's already won it all, & doesn't mind taking some risks?

There are more pros & cons. Will kick'em around if there's appetite for such discussion.

45 minutes ago, sockeye said:

We don't have 1st round or 2nd round pick in 2020.  We would have to trade our 2021 1st round pick.

If the Canucks miss the playoffs this year they keep their 2020 1st and surrender their unprotected 1st to NJ next year. 

20 hours ago, qwijibo said:

If the Canucks miss the playoffs this year they keep their 2020 1st and surrender their unprotected 1st to NJ next year. 

Thanks for the clarification.  At least we would still have a first this year if we miss the playoffs.  I guess if we miss the playoffs (which is quite likely, unfortunately), we would have a lottery pick and maybe move up if the stars align.

57 minutes ago, sockeye said:

Thanks for the clarification.  At least we would still have a first this year if we miss the playoffs.  I guess if we miss the playoffs (which is quite likely, unfortunately), we would have a lottery pick and maybe move up if the stars align.

I wouldn’t say missing the playoffs is quite likely. Last I looked the Canucks still had a 66.% shot at making the playoffs.  They’re far more likely to make it than miss.  If they do miss and say end up just outside the playoffs they’ll have roughly a 3.3% chance at drafting in the top 3 and a 1% chance of drafting 1st overall.  So I wouldn’t hold my breath.  Lol 

• 3 months later...
On 2/22/2020 at 10:42 AM, bree2 said:

so you trade Boeser and Keep Toffoli,  how would it create more cap space? Toffoli would want a raise more than Boeser makes, also Jake would get a raise

Keeping Toffoli and trading Brock wouldn’t save us much (if anything?) in terms of cap space, but the absolute worst thing the Canucks could do is to let Toffoli walk.    The Canucks gave up significant assets for Toffoli and so for Toffoli to just walk away would be a big loss.   If the Canucks were to trade someone else however, to reduce cap space, we would get assets in return in the form of picks, prospects, etc.

So - to answer your question, it’s not just about reducing cap space.   It’s about reducing cap space, getting assets back in return, and not being significantly weaker in a position after having traded said asset (I.e. trading Pettersson for a whole bunch of picks and prospects would leave us without a franchise center).

24 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

it’s not just about reducing cap space.   It’s about reducing cap space,

minor quibble, it is about increasing cap space, and lowering cap hit.

And I still wouldn't trade Brock, much better to let Toffoli go. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Keeping Toffoli and trading Brock wouldn’t save us much (if anything?) in terms of cap space, but the absolute worst thing the Canucks could do is to let Toffoli walk.    The Canucks gave up significant assets for Toffoli and so for Toffoli to just walk away would be a big loss.   If the Canucks were to trade someone else however, to reduce cap space, we would get assets in return in the form of picks, prospects, etc.

So - to answer your question, it’s not just about reducing cap space.   It’s about reducing cap space, getting assets back in return, and not being significantly weaker in a position after having traded said asset (I.e. trading Pettersson for a whole bunch of picks and prospects would leave us without a franchise center).

If this is the absolute worst thing we could do then we are in extremely good shape. Just saying... lol

It's not a dire situation either way. We'll be fine. Don't get me wrong. I hope he returns, but this is faaaaaaar from the worst thing the Canucks could do.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I've seen other Van fans mull this option lately..sacrilege? I don't know...

To balance our fwds/cap hits/line-depth, it seems pretty reasonable.

We have so much talent arriving(soon) on RW; if TT signs, really think it's our best position to sell from.

Nah it's not crazy at all.  If anything I'd be surprised if it wasn't what occasionally keeps Benning up at night since it's part of the business of his role.
In deciding which two of Toffoli (oldest/ costs another pick if re-signed BUT most established/ two-way stud and fit on first line)/ Boeser (injury-ridden lately/ had an "off" year BUT elite shooter and young and probably still improving) and Virtanen (could become expensive and possibly had a one-off year BUT potential rare power forward and possibly finally emerging) to keep, and in deciding whether to keep the star in Markstrom or the blue-chipper in Demko, it'd be crazy not to think that these two areas of strength would be used to address the two main issues: right side defensive depth and buying cap space (both of which have been discussed ad nauseam).

Regarding which two to choose I don't think there's really a wrong answer, as long as it maximizes the return on the defensive end without crippling our right wing, and at this point I'm frankly indifferent (other than a slight bias for Toffoli since I was a fan of his since his Kings days).  Just gotta hope and trust that Benning knows what he's doing with these star/ near-star level assets and that he can get the job done properly. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, gurn said:

minor quibble, it is about increasing cap space, and lowering cap hit.

And I still wouldn't trade Brock, much better to let Toffoli go. 

LOL.

Yes, poor word phrasing on my part.  :-p

We will have to agree to disagree on Toffoli and Brock.   Remember - in a hypothetical situation where we let Toffoli walk, we not only lose him for nothing, but we also would have essentially given up Madden+ in the process.    At least if the Canucks were to hypothetically trade Brock, Jake, or Podkzolin, we would be able to get significant assets back in return.

The other thing to keep in mind with Toffoli, is that he could realistically be signed to a 4-5 year deal at a good cap hit.   In this case, Toffoli’s age would work to our advantage because he not only has the type of game that ages well, but he’s not a clear cut superstar that would command 8 million plus.

Boeser on the other hand, is still young and is on a bridge deal.   IF Brock goes back to the old Brock from a few years ago, or takes his game to a whole new level, he’ll get paid huge........not that it’s a bad thing to pay big for great players (it obviously isn’t), but it’s just another factor to keep in mind.

Personally speaking, my hope is that we can keep Toffoli, and then use 2 out of the following 3 players (Brock, Virtanen, Podkolzin) to help improve in other areas of our line up.

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2020 at 9:31 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'm not selling this. But I'd like some input/perspective on the possibility. I heard Minny GM Guerin is being aggressive. No secret they like the hometown kid, as well heard they're desiring rightys(talk last summer, if memory serves).

Van: Boeser

Minny: Greenway(RFA this summer) & 2020 1st(if Minny picks top-10, becomes the Pittsburgh 2020 1st & their 2021 2nd)

6'6", 225 lbs. nice to have vs teams like Las Veg.

But would this guy play hard for Van? A fair question, would say.

- Don't know if Minny would risk it now, they're playing pretty well(might sneak in). Could revisit this at draft.

- Would have to ensure Toffoli would sign, beforehand(perhaps 4 or 5 yrs, x 5 millish?)

A bottom-6 like this would be nice, late-season

Greenway - Gaudette - Motte

Roussel - Beagle/BS - MacEwen

Worst case? The bottom falls out(late-season), but we would still have TWO 1st's in a deep draft. Not the end of the world.

Boeser is simply too important to this team right now to even discuss but, out of shear boredom, I would offer this, as I think the return in your proposal isn't enough to make letting Boeser worth it.

Greenway with both their 2020 first rounders for Boeser makes me happier.

My main interest here is a Braden Schneider whom I really like and would be ecstatic to get.

This deal also nets us, at least, one more first rounder to, either use, or trade in another deal that gets us another core piece. 

Moving Boeser really puts the pressure on Podkolzin to be what we need him to be; A 1st or 2nd line winger. 

This is the biggest reason Boeser is so important to us right now. We, simply, don't know what we have in Podkolzin yet. The, very real, possibility of him coming here and not living up to the hype is there, in which case, JB would be up to his neck in criticism from all sides.

If he does, however meet or, exceed, the hype, then decisions will have to be made but, until then, Boeser is an untouchable.

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

We will have to agree to disagree on Toffoli and Brock.   Remember - in a hypothetical situation where we let Toffoli walk, we not only lose him for nothing, but we also would have essentially given up Madden+ in the process.    At least if the Canucks were to hypothetically trade Brock, Jake, or Podkzolin, we would be able to get significant assets back in return.

Toffoli is not lost for nothing, he played 10 games, so far, and will be in the line up if the play ins happen. Then if the Canucks make the play offs he will continue to play.

Madden+ were not given up, they were traded.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 5:15 PM, WCE said:

That's a mighty nice pick now!( #3 OA)

Although they could be a partner with the 1st(NYI) they'll get from the Pageau swap.