The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Another way to rid the eriksson contract

10 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Not a realistic idea.  Bordering on Corky Thatcheresque.

Eriksson will either retire after July 15th when he gets his signing bonus (which is not against the CBA), or he’ll be moved to Ottawa or Detroit with Demko being the sweetener (Ottawa and Detroit could use a good goaltending prospect that has a realistic shot of being a starter one day, and both teams also have enough cap room to accommodate Eriksson’s cap hit should he stick around for the 2020-2021 season).

Ottawa has Hoberg. Who has just as good a shot at being a #1 as Demko.  I’m not sure who Detroit has in their system 

I say they should just retire his number now and not offer him a new one. Heck put him on the ring of honour if that's what it takes.   

On a side note I wonder how many people actually own Eriksson jerseys and also how many would actually admit they do own an Eriksson jersey.

Have I said this is getting redonkulous?

8 hours ago, khay said:

Great idea! But knowing Bettman, he will introduce a cap-recapture penalty for any player that retires to take on a front office job moving forward, starting with Eriksson.

It would be for the good of the game...

regards,  G.

22 hours ago, cowboy644 said:

There is no way the old man can be in the lineup next season.In hockey if you're not moving forward and developing you tend to be moving backward.Ask the canucks from 2013 til this year

He is not the only "old man" with a locked in contract just the one with the biggest cap hit.

Not much can really be done, he has two more years on his deal.

The only way out is what every other team has had to do, except Tampa, is to trade away a high pick or prospect with him.

At this point it may be the team has to think in the terms of who they retain, the pick and prospect worth Hughes or Pettersson? That may be what they will wait for so trading away the future is more appealing to the fans if put to them that way.

"We had to make room for Hughes and Petrsson so wa had to give up 2 1rst round picks to move Eriksson" A 1rst round pick is the price of dumping salary in the NHL.

OP, i don't know much about salary cap etc...........but i would think this is blatant circumvention of the cap rules.

if you can't release him, pay him all his money (to retire) and then use that freed up cap space to pay someone else then i don't see how this would fly