The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks set to make WCF?

Rate this topic

CanucksFan8353

Will the Vancouver Canucks Make At Least the Western Conference Final this year?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There seems to be a lot of buzz around this wonderful team we have.  Check out the below articles:

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-set-up-well-for-deep-playoff-run-at-stanley-cup/c-315304424

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/vancouver-canucks-allin-mentality-nhl-trades-could-lead-to-long-playoff-run-212916176.html

David Amber of CBC has also been high on us all year.

With the addition of Toffoli, Boesser rumored to have said he won't be out for a horrendous amount of time, and if Markstrom continues to play out of his mind, we could very well make AT LEAST the WCF.  This is a lot like 2011 in a lot of ways.  Other teams in the league are weak.  Wide-open playoff race.  1 more nice acquisition before the TDL and we may be able to make a strong run at the championship (although those 2 articles above already peg us for going deep).

I think we are likely to come out of the 1st round.  Then our opponent in Round 2 will be Vegas, Calgary, or Edmonton.  We have demonstrated the ability to crush all 3 of those teams this year.  So by virtue of playing against one of those 3 in the 2nd round, we have a somewhat greater chance of making to the WCF almost by default, just due to the luck of playoff seeding.

What do you think?

Edited by Sean83
To elaborate further on my hypothesis
  • Wat 5

12 minutes ago, Sean83 said:

There seems to be a lot of buzz around this wonderful team we have.  Check out the below articles:

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-set-up-well-for-deep-playoff-run-at-stanley-cup/c-315304424

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/vancouver-canucks-allin-mentality-nhl-trades-could-lead-to-long-playoff-run-212916176.html

David Amber of CBC has also been high on us all year.

With the addition of Toffoli, Boesser rumored to have said he won't be out for a horrendous amount of time, and if Markstrom continues to play out of his mind, we could very well make AT LEAST the WCF.  This is a lot like 2011 in a lot of ways.  Other teams in the league are weak.  Wide-open playoff race.  1 more nice acquisition before the TDL and we may be able to make a strong run at the championship (although those 2 articles above already peg us for going deep).

I think we are likely to come out of the 1st round.  Then our opponent in Round 2 will be Vegas, Calgary, or Edmonton.  We have demonstrated the ability to crush all 3 of those teams this year.  So by virtue of playing against one of those 3 in the 2nd round, we have a somewhat greater chance of making to the WCF almost by default, just due to the luck of playoff seeding.

What do you think?

I sure hope so.

Btw, if Boeser is coming back before the playoffs, wouldn't it make more sense if Toffoli play with Horvat and Pearson? When Brock is back, he will be back on the first line with Miller and EP so Toffoli will be moved to the 2nd line anyways. Might as well let Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli build up chemsitry.

Maybe if they upgrade on Stecher? I don't mean to pick on him, but I believe he's the biggest liability on D. He's a right shot, mobile energy guy, so I'm sure the Canucks will be able to make a deal. I can see him going to TOR. Losing recently to ANA and MIN makes me wonder if they have what it takes with who they have. The D has to be better. Hoping for Ristolainen or Manson. I think they'll make the playoffs and take it to Game 7 of the 1st round. 

15 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

This is a bit much. We've won 2 of the last 8 (playoff % declined 96% to %70), need to correct our course before we can even consider playoffs nonetheless conference finals.

I agree with Ossi. I think that we are getting ahead of ourselves with the optimism. I voted No on the poll, but of course I would love it if we made it to the WCF or the SCF. They still have 22 games to play, I think they need to get at least 28 pts out of those games to make the playoffs. So 6 games over 500 for the remaining games of the season. I think it's doable, but in the past many teams have stumbled in the last 2 months of the season. The only players really cooking right now are Miller and Hughes. If any 2-3 of Petey, Bo, Pearson, Virt, Guad and now Toffoli can get it going I think they will be in no prob.

A little premature there junior. Not only do they need to make the playoffs, which they only have a 3 point cushion to do so, they also need to win not 1 but 2 rounds? I'm content with making playoffs. Anything beyond that is gravy. If you think the Canucks are "assured" of anything then you haven't been around sports very long. There is still a decent chance they miss the dance. We still have 1/4 of the season to go.

• Cheers 1

I really think we underestimate our team. I don't know if it's a mentality us Nucks fans have developed or it's just a case of not believing..Let's get in. Anything can happen! Remember where the Blues were in Dec and then went on to win the cup?

Edited by nux4lyfe

53 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Easy there cowboy.

Let's worry about getting into the playoffs first. 

Agreed. These kinda' threads are a convenient tee box for future trolls. Just work our buns off, 'til we get in, fulfilling the Miller deal.

Unfortunate, but see Lost Vegans as the heavy div-favourite(league darling too).

• Like 1