The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 22, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Keith's a water buffalo. 

Only time I've ever laughed watching the draft - when I saw MTs Dad and was like "did that think eat Captain America?".   His new super power was getting his neck button done up. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 2

That doesn't happen very often.

Boston and Tampa allow goals like they have a 3rd string goalie in net and the real 3rd string goalie gets a win. :lol::lol:

The term sick and tired might have has some influence on this game. I

The Canucks took advantage of what they were given.

The Canucks were the fresh team only one game in 5 days, Boston was their 3rd in 4 days and on the road.

The goal total was impressive to be sure, it has been a very long time, against Minnesota or Colorado, I am not sure, a long time ago.

Both impressive and maybe a little alarming still, a very tired and beaten team still got over 35 shots on goal.

How old is Chara? He doesn't score much but his size sure shuts down rushes and he doesn't get pushed around. Tryamkin would sure be a help in that area.

Another player with a "T" starting his first name? A Tyson to go with Tylers? The talked about Stecher for Barrie might also be a plus in a playoff push, both need new deals next year and with Barrie having an off year maybe less than anticipated. Stech and a minor prospect or late pick, 5, 6 or 7 might not be out of line. Team should also go for Bogosian, he is free and has playoff experience, the team does not have enough defensemen yet and even if Tryamkin plays they are still a little shallow.

Great win, 9 goals, wow.

7 hours ago, FijianCanuck said:

Our record 33-22-6 sedinery? 

Here’s a fun stat. It’s kind of crazy to see us only having outright lost 36% of the games we’ve played this year. Such an improved team across the board from last season. We’ve earned at least a point 64% of the time. Playoffs are coming to Vancouver again barring any unexpected setbacks.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I still find it funny that many on here would've traded Jake years ago. Also funny that Jake's development was questioned throughout the years.

Gaudette getting the same comments. It can take time. I suspect Jake gets a crack at top 6 next year. Gaudette comes back as a solid 3C. 

5 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Yeah Makar definitely plays an intelligent game though. It's not nearly as flashy (though it definitely can be), but 9/10 times from the games I've watched he's making the right plays. Both are absolute studs but I really think Quinn is gonna get screwed over unless he pulls away with points this season. He's riskier but he makes the more difficult play and he pulls them off which is absolutely marvellous. I don't think enough votes come from the most knowledgeable people from the west coast so there's gonna be a lot of bias going into voting. 

Adding TT probably wins the Calder for Hughes. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Terrific game by the entire team... I don't think a single player had a bad night.

Marky and Bo set the tone... Marky by coming back to stone the Bruins after that cheap shot stick in the face and Bo by flying around hitting, scoring and taking no sh*t from anyone.

All the role players were on top of their game and smothering the Bruins... Motte, Beagle, Gaudette, Virtanen, Sutter, etc. etc. breaking up plays in the neutral zone, killing penalties, jumping on the Bruins D... they gave Boston no chance to get a rhythm going.

Both the top lines were playing hard... Pettersson, Miller and Tofoli were all around the net taking advantage of their opportunities.  And Bo, Pearson and Eriksson were relentless in the forecheck.

The D was great... most of the time pucks collected and out of the zone in one or two efficient passes.  Even when the Bruins put on some pressure, most of the time they didn't crack, but found a way to turn over the puck and get it out... Edler, Stecher, Myers, Tanev and Fantenberg were great along the wall moving Bruins off the puck and knocking people down.

But for me the key guy in the game, (besides Markstrom who was great as always) was Quinn Hughes.

I am beginning to believe this kid is the next most valuable player to Marky.  He is so smart, so skilled, so effortless in his skating, so shifty.  He is so dynamic the other team gets drawn to him like a magnet... then someone on the Canucks gets open... and the puck is on their stick on a perfect pass from Hughes.  He is also equally dynamic defensively... he can skate the puck out of the zone or make a pass from deep in the corner like few players.

I love Pettersson and he is a STAR, but Hughes may ultimately be the more valuable acquisition.  Hughes WILL win the Calder unless he is injured.

I still think Green is the wrong coach for this team... he doesn't have the skills to teach them the offensive game they could play... but there is so much offensive talent on this team now that it doesn't really matter.

The only cloud on the horizon is there will be a big time CAP crunch in the future.

---

Oh yeah... What a bunch of thugs the Bruins are.

From start to finish of the game it was the same old same old.  No Boston wasn't satisfied with their cheapshot on Petersson in Boston, they feel a need to continue in Vancouver.

First the fly by stick in the mask of Markstrom.... if you really believe that was accidental then you really need to watch the Bruins more.  They know Marky is the key to the Canucks success, and they wanted to take him out of the game.  It's always the same with the Bruins.... someone on the opposing team gets injured by a 'unintentional accident'... and that player is a key for the other team.

Then when Bo starts to show he is going to dominate the game... they start with the slashing and hi sticks.... if you believe Bo got mad enough to fight for no reason, you are living in dreamland.  Coyle was hacking and slashing for multiple shifts before Bo dropped the gloves.

Then Myers makes an excellent clean hit and Chara jumps him without giving him a chance to turn around or drop the gloves.  All those who think Chara is a nice guy need to start watching less of After Hours and more of what is happening on the ice.

Then the next few shifts after Pettersson scored his goal, they started head hunting him... You could clearly see Chara and serveral other Bruins players try to line him up for a cheapshot... fortunately Petey has seen that show before and managed to avoid getting nailed.

Then the Bruins got distracted by another Canuck when Quinn Hughes did his magic and make them all look like fools... so they start with the slashing and hi-sticking on him.  Hughes got high sticked to the face at least twice that I saw, behind the play and when the Refs weren't looking.  More of the usual Bruins cr*p.

For whatever reason the league lets these creeps get away with this stuff... and its usually worse in the playoffs.

Canucks really should bring over Tryamkin for exactly this reason.  Put him in the lineup and play him whenever they are up against the Bruins... Chara would find he is a little more challenged by Big T.

It won’t make a difference whether the Bruins or another team come playoffs. CUP play is another level of play. I don’t expect the Canucks to go deep. This run to playoffs and hopefully 2 rounds is about the experience for the players who have never been there. When I put my diehard Canuck hat on I have to think the add of TT and the return of BB yields some serious magic.

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Mr Hockey was evaluated by a sports doctor and his conditioning level he explained as " only the best boxers in the world have".    His Dad was scared whenever he fought because he said " he has a punch that could kill a man" - he was scared for the other guys.   Just ask Lou Fontinato (who was considered the best police

of the time -ok he's probably dead but the story was legendary ) - displaced his face "sounded like Gordie was chopping wood " says the guys on the ice at the time.    Best power forward ever.   Much stronger for his size then he should have been too.  RIP. 

I am reading son Murray’s book about Geordie. Different perspective. Written with much love for his Dad. 

• Cheers 1

I was forced to listen to the game last night while I drywalled the garage.. here's my take-aways..

1/ nice to know the boys can produce some passion when they want. if they play like that to finish out the season, they might surprise some people in the playoffs.. 

2/ how 'bout that Toffoli guy? tell me he's not loving life right now.. traded from the swamp to one of the best top lines in the league.. time will tell how it plays out, but that could be the best trade JB has made..

3/ can't help but wonder if Boeser is feeling a but insecure right now.. for whatever reason, he hasn't played all that well in the last couple months, and now TT swoops in and seems to gel pretty nicely on the first line. either way, he should be taking notes from a guy who has a pretty good release.. 

4/ Bo Horvat.. was that his best game as captain? 

5/ Stecher may have raised his trade value a bit.. 

6/ I don't care if Boston played back to back - they're the top team in the league, and that game was so exciting, even Randork couldn't screw it up.. great statement game, hopefully they can launch off that to hit the road confident and close out the season with a bang

edit: 7/ I couldn't believe there was 9 goals and Hughes didn't get 3 assists.. I believe if he did, he would have the most 3 apple games for a rookie D in history (is that correct?) kid is a phenom, and I was pretty sure he'd hit the wall in Feb but it looks like he's getting better if anything. he has impacted his team far more than Makar.. Calder top runner right now

Edited by Glug Datt
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am reading son Murray’s book about Geordie. Different perspective. Written with much love for his Dad. 

Howe was truly a special hockey player and person.   Going back to play with his sons and how he played to keep them safe and what he did to the every young tough guy who wanted a piece of him should be written down and made mandatory reading around the league.    The cheap stuff would disappear quickly if one or two guys on each team played tough like and had that sort of reputation.   Then again player safety would be busy suspending guys like crazy so maybe not ha ha.  

My favourite story from his WHA days was how he one punched a goon (who ran his son) to the ice then picked him up by his nostrils - telling him to never come near his boys again or he won't be as nice ha ha.   Old school.  Used his stick a lot too when he first entered the WHA.  Every team wanted a piece of him and he went through them one by one his first year - after that he and his sons-teammates were left alone for the most part.

In a nutshell he found the toughest guy on each team and whacked them over the head with his stick right off a face off.   Can't make this stuff up.  Then had a polite talk and after a month or two the entire league got the message.  A few times he did it two or three times in a row to the same player - whatever it took to get the message across (some were slow learners).   He did this purposely and as tactic and it worked.   Mr Hockey was the most complete player ever - don't think we will ever see another guy like him.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Howe was truly a special hockey player and person.   Going back to play with his sons and how he played to keep them safe and what he did to the every young tough guy who wanted a piece of him should be written down and made mandatory reading around the league.    The cheap stuff would disappear quickly if one or two guys on each team played tough like and had that sort of reputation.   Then again player safety would be busy suspending guys like crazy so maybe not ha ha.  

My favourite story from his WHA days was how he one punched a goon (who ran his son) to the ice then picked him up by his nostrils - telling him to never come near his boys again or he won't be as nice ha ha.   Old school.  Used his stick a lot too when he first entered the WHA.  Every team wanted a piece of him and he went through them one by one his first year - after that he and his sons-teammates were left alone for the most part.

In a nutshell he found the toughest guy on each team and whacked them over the head with his stick right off a face off.   Can't make this stuff up.  Then had a polite talk and after a month or two the entire league got the message.  A few times he did it two or three times in a row to the same player - whatever it took to get the message across (some were slow learners).   He did this purposely and as tactic and it worked.   Mr Hockey was the most complete player ever - don't think we will ever see another guy like him.

I went to Moscow in 1974 for the WHA series. Got to meet Howe at a meet and great. Very quiet guy. Went to one of the games and a Russian player took Mark into the boards right in front of me. He turned back from the hit and Geordie buried his elbow up into this kids tonsils. When he came up off the ice he had all three Howe’s, Staring him down. Absolute classic.

• Like 3

Well the Canucks sure took advantage of the fatigued bruins. Bruins showed it bad last night from all the back to back games all the traveling and west coast time difference. They played a hard game in calgary the night before and so many games they played over the last 2 weeks. A well rested canucks had the advantage and they sure played hard and very good. Great game canucks keep it up. 

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Me as well, willing to admit

I'm in Morocco and didn't watch the game, saw the highlights but what did Jake do specifically other than the last goal? Please? 

Also can't find a clip of Bo's fight, against who?

Relieve yourself of your burden of guilt. Confess in the Church of V thread and all will be forgiven. 

• Huggy Bear 1

45 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There will only ever be one “Mr. Hockey”

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, AllWeatherFan said:

BO with a ton of heart tonight. Took a BIG step as our Captain

he took it to another level....the rest (others) will follow..... Oh yeah, the rest will follow.

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1