The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 22, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

37 minutes ago, xereau said:

They deployed a different D zone system last night. Puck pressure and taking the man. Much much less collapsing to the middle of the ice!

We all know that their offensive systems are top in the league, but to successfully and so convincingly flip a switch like that tells me that we are in for something VERY interesting coming down the stretch here.

Imagine Green is playing possum and a poor team playing us in round 1 finds themselves playing a completely different team and style who knows their system like a well oiled machine... Like we've practiced our high pressure playoff style the entire season and played our relaxed collapse style during the regular season 

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

The entire hockey world might be a little shocked.

I still can't believe we pounded the $&!# out of them as badly as we did.

Has Boston been ventilated like that yet this season? 

Epic win

Absolutely magical... and yes, still can't quite believe, what we witnessed last night... Just fabulous.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I believe he is still on the hook for $4 bonuses + $4 salary total for the next two years

Someone can correct me, but I think its $5 million total for his final two seasons.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/loui-eriksson-1652/

He has a signing bonus this July - $3 million. But he'd wait for that anyways, so that money is not in the equation, if he retires right after.

Next season, only a $1 million dollar base wage, a 1 million signing bonus next summer, and a $3 million dollar salary in his final season.  I'm not even sure if that final signing bonus is if he re-signs after his current contract expires or not, so it may be even just $4 million total left. But even at $5 mill,  He will have already earned the bulk of his contract.  And for what he's produced for that money, he should gratefully slink away back to Sweden after he takes his $3 mill bonus come July, which is more than a player like Stecher, who earned his money the hard way, made all year.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I'm just wondering why they haven't been doing that in the first place? It was amazing to watch, and even more effective.  

Its unsustainable over a season. Engaging physically with big determined guys in the Dzone over 82 games just won't work.

I had a bit of a revelation the other night and posted about the system in the Dzone in the last PGT, and it seems to 100% revolve around trying to remain healthy.

Guys get hurt in one of four ways (mostly). Hitting, getting hit, fighting, and blocking shots.

If you remove/limit 3 of those things over the course of the 2/3rds of the season, you limit your chances at getting hurt, and we have Green's 'turn the other cheek' system in a nutshell. It's a conservative approach, and it's gotten this injury prone team to the meaty part of the season somewhat healthy. LTIR musical chairs helps.

We are middle of the road in hits, and most of them have come from the offensive end of the game. We've all seen that these systems are top, or near top in the league. The N/O zone systems are impressive most games, and they aren't even worth an ounce of concern. But as you've seen on this forum, the Dzone system, up until last night, has been a serious concern.

We simply haven't been punishing guys in our own zone all season. The 5 man collapse star pirouette was what we've seen instead.

And then Green or Baumer flipped a switch last night! It's do or die time, so to speak, and the team found another gear and smoothed over their biggest flaw last night. It was a statement game from not only the players, IMO.

I have to hand it to the coaches, because I didn't see it coming, and clearly the Bruins didn't either.

15 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I'm just wondering why they haven't been doing that in the first place? It was amazing to watch, and even more effective.  

Rope-a-dope requires the element of surprise. Just ask George Foreman.

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Someone can correct me, but I think its $5 million total for his final two seasons.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/loui-eriksson-1652/

He has a signing bonus this July - $3 million. But he'd wait for that anyways, so that money is not in the equation, if he retires right after.

Next season, only a $1 million dollar base wage, a 1 million signing bonus next summer, and a $3 million dollar salary in his final season.  I'm not even sure if that final signing bonus is if he re-signs after his current contract expires or not, so it may be even just $4 million total left. But even at $5 mill,  He will have already earned the bulk of his contract.  And for what he's produced for that money, he should gratefully slink away back to Sweden after he takes his $3 mill bonus come July, which is more than a player like Stecher, who earned his money the hard way, made all year.

Ah right. So it looks like if he were to retire immediately after this season ends, he'd be walking away from $8m. If he were to retire after July 1st, $5m.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Here's a weird question. 

Has cap rules changed? If Eriksson gets waived and goes to Utica, does that still count towards the cap? Why?  Same with Baerstchi? 

I remember ppl used to get buried in the minors like Sheldon Souray etc? 

It still counts towards the cap because they're signed to one-way deals. Player's protection as per the CBA.

I don't 100% remember Souray's situation, but I am pretty sure the Oilers were still on the hook for his pro cap hit when he was loaned to Hershey.

The only relief Edmonton got was not having a disgruntled Souray on the team and Hershey chipped in some amount of Souray's salary but not cap hit.

Edited by EmilyM

34 minutes ago, luckylager said:

The entire hockey world might be a little shocked.

I still can't believe we pounded the $&!# out of them as badly as we did.

Has Boston been ventilated like that yet this season? 

Epic win

The most they had lost by is 3 this season and the most goals they have given up is 5.

So to answer your question, no they haven’t. They’ve been pretty consistent in having their goals against at less than 3.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

It still counts towards the cap because they're signed to one-way deals. Player's protection as per the CBA.

I don't 100% remember Souray's situation, but I am pretty sure the Oilers were still on the hook for his pro cap hit when he was loaned to Hershey.

The only relief Edmonton got was not having a disgruntled Souray on the team and Hershey chipped in some amount of Souray's salary but not cap hit.

I thought one way deals were more for income protection for nhl players who didnt want to get paid less if assigned to minors. I didn't think it had any bearings on the cap hit itself 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I thought one way deals were more for income protection for nhl players who didnt want to get paid less if assigned to minors. I didn't think it had any bearings on the cap hit itself 

Hmm yeah, but I still think there's a max amount of ~$1m of relief a team can receive if the player actually reports to the minors regardless of how much his salary is? I don't recall the exact nuances of the rule.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The most they had lost by is 3 this season and the most goals they have given up is 5.

So to answer your question, no they haven’t. They’ve been pretty consistent in having their goals against at less than 3.

I am A ok with running the score up on the Bruins. I loved that we kept putting out the#1 unit on the PP

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

Hmm yeah, but I still think there's a max amount of ~$1m of relief a team can receive if the player actually reports to the minors regardless of how much his salary is? I don't recall the exact nuances of the rule.

Yeah good thing I'm just an armchair GM and we have more capable ppl doing this stuff. I trust everything will work out. 

Just now, CanucksJay said:

I am A ok with running the score up on the Bruins. I loved that we kept putting out the#1 unit on the PP

The best part is that they play Calgary at home next.

Something tells me they’re going to be playing pissed off that game.

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

I agree.  Especially for his price.  I hear rumours on talk radio how Green (or JB depending on the day) doesn't like him for some undisclosed reason, and he's been on the trading  block all season.  Yet all I hear is praise from Green, and Stech's team mates. We need size, but Myers proves the point that size isn't everything. Smaller D have to make up for their size by being better in other areas.  Sometimes its scoring, sometimes its just being twice as ferocious on the puck as the other D. Twice as quick to find an outlet pass, rather than give the puck away, or even simply dump it over the blue line. 

Its so easy to overlook what Stecher brings to the team. Barrie would be nice, but from what I hear, he is a @#%# show in his own end.  Improved offence but we have a severe lack of defensive defensemen that are quick enough, and smart enough, and instead get caught in our own end chasing too much. If there was a "little things" reward for defensemen, Stecher would win it hands down.

Completely agree and do not want Barrie, like at all.  Could be something to do with his dad, who f'd up the community I live in outside of Victoria, but more likely it's just his game.  We need D who can defend, period.  Stetcher is better at that, and a good match with Edler, which allows us to play Myers on the 3rd pairing:  our best look on D. 

We need to keep Stetcher even if it means losing him after the season.  A rental if you will.  If there's a trade involving him that strengthens our D well then fine, but I don't see it as very likely, and would rather have someone who really wants to be here giving it his all on a last dance with the team through the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1