The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 22, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Playing in bottom six isn't his style offensively.

He got really good at the defensive side of his play.

Now, when Green is pushing for play off and got a few key players injuried, Loui has showed that he can play top 6. 

He was directly involved in 3 goals against the Bruins. First, he took away Chara so Gaudette didn't have to bother with him, second he steered the puck(hence the assist)and on the rebound Pearson got a goal and then with some great puckhandling and a guy on his back Loui got a goal.

If it was Petey or Boeser you probably would have said something like Wow but know it's Loui and it's meeh... 

Horvats found his game due to Loui because Horvat doesn't have to bother whar Mac or someone not so good defensively does beside him.

And Loui seems to slowly regain some offensive confidence he lost as a member of bottom six. 

I just think Loui is a classic case of a player losing his hand

He still thinks the game very well, and skates decently

but puck on stick near the net? Loui has nothing to offer

Loui regularly gets to the same spots in front of the net as Toffoli. Tofolli snipes, Loui misses the net

it has gone pst slumping, I just think the hands are gone

compare with Stan smyl and Trevor Linden

Smyl 22 goals in his final 4 seasons, 10 goals in his last 3 seasons, 30-33 years of age

Linden, 40 goals in his final 4 seasons, 26 in his last 3 years, 33-37 years of age

Loui, 38 goals in his last 3.5 seasons, 31-34 ears of age

Loui needs 2 goals to tie Trevor in goals over his last 4 season and he has passed Stan in the same time span.

Unfortunately Loui is signed for 2 more years, so if he scores 5 goals in the next 2.25 seasons he will tie Stan Smyl's late career heroics

equally unfortunate is Loui does not have the early career numbers as a Canuck to fall back on

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, lmm said:

I just think Loui is a classic case of a player losing his hand

He still thinks the game very well, and skates decently

but puck on stick near the net? Loui has nothing to offer

Loui regularly gets to the same spots in front of the net as Toffoli. Tofolli snipes, Loui misses the net

it has gone pst slumping, I just think the hands are gone

compare with Stan smyl and Trevor Linden

Smyl 22 goals in his final 4 seasons, 10 goals in his last 3 seasons, 30-33 years of age

Linden, 40 goals in his final 4 seasons, 26 in his last 3 years, 33-37 years of age

Loui, 38 goals in his last 3.5 seasons, 31-34 ears of age

Loui needs 2 goals to tie Trevor in goals over his last 4 season and he has passed Stan in the same time span.

Unfortunately Loui is signed for 2 more years, so if he scores 5 goals in the next 2.25 seasons he will tie Stan Smyl's late career heroics

equally unfortunate is Loui does not have the early career numbers as a Canuck to fall back on

As a bottom 9 Loui hasn't a decent chance to get points. Look at Beagle, Motte, Schaller and so on. 

What do you think of Louis goal against Bruins? Is Loui a sniper? Isn't he some kind of garbage man? Takes care of the litter around the goalie. 

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

As a bottom 9 Loui hasn't a decent chance to get points. Look at Beagle, Motte, Schaller and so on. 

What do you think of Louis goal against Bruins? Is Loui a sniper? Isn't he some kind of garbage man? Takes care of the litter around the goalie. 

I think the real problem with Loui is his salary cap.  He is being paid like a top 6 player, but his production is bottom 6.  Going forward, the Canucks are tight to the cap and will desperately need salary to re-sign guys like Toffoli, Virtanen, Motte and Gaudette, etc.  Unfortunately Loui's contract is hindering the progression of the team. 

Loui has been working hard at his game and I think most fans have respected his efforts.  He has been getting chances around the net as well, but I really don't think he can compete with the young group of top 6:    Miller, Pete, Toffoli, Pearson, Bo, Brock.

You're right, he doesn't belong on the bottom 6 and would only serve to block the prospects that are getting ready to join the team in the next two seasons. I am hoping that this situation can be resolved in a way that is satisfactory for the team and for Loui.

42 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think the real problem with Loui is his salary cap.  He is being paid like a top 6 player, but his production is bottom 6.  Going forward, the Canucks are tight to the cap and will desperately need salary to re-sign guys like Toffoli, Virtanen, Motte and Gaudette, etc.  Unfortunately Loui's contract is hindering the progression of the team. 

Loui has been working hard at his game and I think most fans have respected his efforts.  He has been getting chances around the net as well, but I really don't think he can compete with the young group of top 6:    Miller, Pete, Toffoli, Pearson, Bo, Brock.

You're right, he doesn't belong on the bottom 6 and would only serve to block the prospects that are getting ready to join the team in the next two seasons. I am hoping that this situation can be resolved in a way that is satisfactory for the team and for Loui.

In this cap era Loui helps keeping our prospects at bay. 

The sooner the player come up, the sooner their salary will rise and Benning will be forced to trade away a promising player. 

Sutter, Baertschi, Loui and a few others will be off the books and replaced by cheap prospects. But now when we push for play offs players like Loui are really valuable. He is worth the 6 mill if he can help the team in the play offs. 

The game against Bruins showed just that.

Loui was involved in the 3 most crucial goals wich led to an easier aftermath for Petey, Miller and Toffoli so they could feast. 

Why change a vet for a prospect when the games get more important?

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, talking about beating again... Green has played a tactical, rebuilding game I believe.

It means he play players in different positions to either learn them another skill or test players in that different position. 

Rebuilding phase as I heard.

This means that he played Loui in a bottom six due to strategies we don't know anything about. 

Loui won't skip any money unless he gets a role in scouting/management.

He got over 2 years left on his contract so the past 3 seasons isn't anything to bother about.

Do you want him to change name? :bigblush:

But one thing I don't get is why fans like you don't listen to Horvat.

Horvat has played with a lot of players the last two seasons and I can only recall that he thinks Loui is where his linemate should be. 

So why not be happy that Horvat can play a more offensive style. 

"This means that he played Loui in a bottom six due to strategies we don't know anything about. "

I have a guess: He wasn't good enough to stick on the top six when everyone including Boeser and Leivo were healthy.

"Horvat's found his game due to Loui"

:lol:

Horvat "thinks Loui is where his linemate should be"

Well most of the time. 

I'll say this. Louie is a servicable defensive veteran. Good too have the depth right now. We can use him for the stretch run. It's all good

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

"This means that he played Loui in a bottom six due to strategies we don't know anything about. "

I have a guess: He wasn't good enough to stick on the top six when everyone including Boeser and Leivo were healthy.

"Horvat's found his game due to Loui"

:lol:

Horvat "thinks Loui is where his linemate should be"

Well most of the time. 

I'll say this. Louie is a servicable defensive veteran. Good too have the depth right now. We can use him for the stretch run. It's all good

Just what Horvat said and how that line has played since Loui started there. Matched against the top lines and come out on top almost every time. If Loui only was a servicable defensive vet that line wouldn't be so good. He knows how to behave offensively also. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/23/2020 at 11:55 AM, Alflives said:

I think the question is whether we would rather have Loui or Tofu?  Don’t you think JB would love to dump Loui’s six million per, so he could give that (or part of it) to Tofu?  And would we rather have Sutter plus Baer, or Marky?  

Alfie, if I may call you that, I think that me, you, and coach Green are all on the same page.  The reality is that we can't get rid of that 6 mil/season cloud hanging over our heads....  not until the off-season at least.  We've gotten through the worst of it and now we're reaching the point where it may be possible to think of a future without Louie.  

Let's enjoy the playoffs at the best version of the Canucks that we can imagine.  Next year, we might have a lot more possibilities at our disposal ;) 

19 hours ago, Timråfan said:

In this cap era Loui helps keeping our prospects at bay. 

The sooner the player come up, the sooner their salary will rise and Benning will be forced to trade away a promising player. 

Sutter, Baertschi, Loui and a few others will be off the books and replaced by cheap prospects. But now when we push for play offs players like Loui are really valuable. He is worth the 6 mill if he can help the team in the play offs. 

The game against Bruins showed just that.

Loui was involved in the 3 most crucial goals wich led to an easier aftermath for Petey, Miller and Toffoli so they could feast. 

Why change a vet for a prospect when the games get more important?

Many of the promising prospects are already on ELCs so I don't see how LE being on the team changes the RFA timeframe.

Players salary aren't played during the playoffs, so LE is a freebie.  I think he leaves after the July bonus is paid out.

The next 2 season will require ++$ to re-sign rfas as well as Toffoli.  LE's contract needs to be off the books (and hopefully Myers goes to Seattle).

I don't expect to see any prospects playing in the playoffs (other than MacKewn).  Loui's competition will be Brock, Leivo and MacKewn