The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Devils trade Wayne Simmonds to Sabres for conditional 2021 5th-round pick

The more I think about it, maybe Simmonds really does move again.

Looking at Buffalo, not only are they far back, the teams in front of the play each other a lot so it is almost impossible for all those teams to fall off.... someone has to get points in those games.  Their current chances at making the playoffs sits at 2%.

It is a low price Buffalo paid, but not a big enough piece to send a message to their players that they want to go for it.

I am not sure if a player can have retained salary twice.  Jersey retains half the salary, could Buffalo retain half of the remaining and make Simmonds really cheap for us or another playoff bound team?

Edited by Provost

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Looking at Buffalo, not only are they far back, the teams in front of the play each other a lot so it is almost impossible for all those teams to fall off.... someone has to get points in those games.  Their current chances at making the playoffs sits at 2%.

It is a low price Buffalo paid, but not a big enough piece to send a message to their players that they want to go for it.

I am not sure if a player can have retained salary twice.  Jersey retains half the salary, could Buffalo retain half of the remaining and make Simmonds really cheap for us or another playoff bound team?

They can.  Dubnyk.  Edmonton retained 50%.  It didn't work in Nashville so they traded him further to Montreal retaining 50% on their 50% share.  Edmonton stayed at 50% but Nashville and Montreal were both at 25%.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

How about

Simmonds & Ristolianen

for Tanev ?

hmmm.

Simmonds at 2.5 isn’t that bad at all. We payed schaller 1.9, and are currently paying 4th line players 3 mil. Now I have nothing against Beagle or Roussel at all, but to say that’s a bad contract is ridiculous. A Simmonds that is 50% of what he was for Philly is still a terrifying physical presence in the bottom 6. As long as you don’t count on him to produce, what’s the issue? 

37 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yes, they can.  Seems like a likely outcome.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Kinda makes TSN/Sportsnet look stupid or whoever thought the Canucks would trade Juolevi for Simmonds. 

I don't recall anyone saying there was any sort of 1 for 1 deal like that.  The suggestion was that we were trying to unload a bad contract the other way as well which makes it an entirely different trade.