The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Jake Muzzin

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Still need major surgery on that core. 

Definitely, I thought that at the start of the season, they need to rip it apart and put it back together. 

They have the pieces and assets to build a Cup team, but they need a major overhaul on how everything fits together.

9 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

That’s uh, quite steep. Just turned 31, average offensively, skating already slowing down. 

I get he a good defenseman but that’s a lot of money per year for a LHD when you have no RH options 

To be fair they only have one legit LD option. Signing any d-man that can actually play is a win for Toronto, regardless of them being LD. I like Muzzin and 5.6 isn't too bad. He's a better Tanev and Toronto desperately needs players like Muzzin. Leader, good for 21ish minutes a game, decent-good offensive production. Hard to complain about this deal.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

To be fair they only have one legit LD option. Signing any d-man that can actually play is a win for Toronto, regardless of them being LD. I like Muzzin and 5.6 isn't too bad. He's a better Tanev and Toronto desperately needs players like Muzzin. Leader, good for 21ish minutes a game, decent-good offensive production. Hard to complain about this deal.

If they are deciding to run a top pair of Reilly - Muzzin then they should be fine. However, if they are planning to have Muzzin play on the 2nd pair then they are still missing a top 2 right side Defenseman. 

on top of that, reilly expires at the end of next season. They will be right back in this same situation next TDL 

Tanev should not get more than this. Muzzin is more durable, better offensively and had a championship pedigree. The only advantage Tanev has is that he's right handed. 

Based on this, I would expect the maximum for a Tanev extension to be around 4 years at 5.25 million per.

• Upvote 1