The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Jake Muzzin

17 minutes ago, rekker said:

Of course! Dubas is a genius. Good grief. Maybe he should catch crap for only having one or two quality dmen on that roster to begin with. Frig, reports like this are why I detest the Leafs.

I've got my kids trained to refer to them as 'the dirty, rotten, stinkin' Leafs'. ::D

• Haha 2

On 2/25/2020 at 12:00 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wow.

Just Wow. 

They could simply have traded Matthews to Arizona for Hall and Ekman-Larsson.

Moved Nylander for a 1st and prospects to a team with Cap Room.

And have the money to resign Hall, and have some actual depth.

But Dubas, gotta Dubas. 

Nylander is one of their best players this year. No no one in their right mind would trade him for a pick and prospect. He's only 23 yrs old and a ppg player on pace for 35 to 40 goals. Dubbas should be fired for even thinking about that trade. If they can get a top tier, great young Dman in return then they should consider it. No way they trade Nylander for a pick and prospect....he's been great this year.

Mathews is not getting traded. Just like EP is not getting traded. Maybe he'll be traded for last year of his contract before his NMC kicks in if it looks like he's not re signing in Toronto. He's not going anywhere anytime soon..

Edited by WHL rocks

On 2/25/2020 at 6:28 AM, Canadian said:

They’re going to miss the playoffs, and need to trade one or two of their big forward pieces. They should trade Matthews and Nylander at the very least for two more top top 4 defensemen and/or a better goalie along with prospects.

The second they brought Tavares in at his cap, set them back a couple years because they have no depth. If they trade one or two high end forwards for quality defense and goalie, and have some cheaper young talent, they would be way better off.

3 of their top 5 D are out long term. If Hughes Tanev and Myers were out for months I doubt we make playoffs. And hell no we should't trade EP and Boeser if that happens.

Their problem isn't about acquiring another Dman albeit a RH shutdown D would help, Its about playing team defense. Babs tried to make them play D but couldn't manage. Keefe was supposed to play more run and gun but injuries on D especially Rielly out for so long was devastating. 

They need to add some two way players with size and sandpaper.

I think one of or maybe even both of Kapanen and Johnsson get traded in summer. Johnsson is also out long term with injury on top of 3 of their top 5 Dmen.

Edited by WHL rocks
typo

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Nylander is one of their best players this year. No no one in their right mind would trade him for a pick and prospect. He's only 23 yrs old and a ppg player on pace for 35 to 40 goals. Dubbas should be fired for even thinking about that trade. If they can get a top tier, great young Dman in return then they should consider it. No way they trade Nylander for a pick and prospect....he's been great this year.

Mathews is not getting traded. Just like EP is not getting traded. Maybe he'll be traded for last year of his contract before his NMC kicks in if it looks like he's not re signing in Toronto. He's not going anywhere anytime soon..

But he also is one of the laziest players in the league, refuses to backcheck, and plays scared when it matters most.  His stats are massively inflated by playing with better players.  If you can get good players who actually care about winning for that floater, you do it.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

But he also is one of the laziest players in the league, refuses to backcheck, and plays scared when it matters most.  His stats are massively inflated by playing with better players.  If you can get good players who actually care about winning for that floater, you do it.

Not true. This is pretty common misconception on CDC. people make these posts without watching Leafs play more than once or twice all season. Other people read these posts on here and make more similar posts.

He was benched for part of a game before Xmas. He's been lights out for most of season.

Hockey Writers gave him come back player of the season award half way thru season.

He doesn't go into the dirty areas along the boards but no one expects that from him. He's there to produce  and he's on pace for about 40 goals.

According to their captain Tavares and the head coach Keefe they both love the way Nylander is playing. Tavares talked about how driven Nylander is to get better and reach his ceiling. I even posted links with their comments couple of weeks ago, but people make these posts without knowing facts just because of anti Leaf bias.

As I've said many times on cdc the problem with Leafs isn't 1 player or 1 Dman. Their whole team plays offensive hockey. None of the Young Stars play defense. Babs tried to get them to play D but failed. Keefe was supposed to play run and gun out score the opposition every night. But with half their D out long term to injury they struggled. And you have to play team defense to win in NHL. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Not true. This is pretty common misconception on CDC. people make these posts without watching Leafs play more than once or twice all season. Other people read these posts on here and make more similar posts.

He was benched for part of a game before Xmas. He's been lights out for most of season.

Hockey Writers gave him come back player of the season award half way thru season.

He doesn't go into the dirty areas along the boards but no one expects that from him. He's there to produce  and he's on pace for about 40 goals.

According to their captain Tavares and the head coach Keefe they both love the way Nylander is playing. Tavares talked about how driven Nylander is to get better and reach his ceiling. I even posted links with their comments couple of weeks ago, but people make these posts without knowing facts just because of anti Leaf bias.

As I've said many times on cdc the problem with Leafs isn't 1 player or 1 Dman. Their whole team plays offensive hockey. None of the Young Stars play defense. Babs tried to get them to play D but failed. Keefe was supposed to play run and gun out score the opposition every night. But with half their D out long term to injury they struggled. And you have to play team defense to win in NHL. 

So by your own admission, he doesn't backcheck, go into dirty areas, or provide any kind of defensive support.  The only disagreement we have is whether or not that's acceptable.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So by your own admission, he doesn't backcheck, go into dirty areas, or provide any kind of defensive support.  The only disagreement we have is whether or not that's acceptable.

Now you are being disingenuous. You just made up things and attributed them to me. Only thing I said is about going into dirty areas. No one who follows the NHL thinks he does that.

He plays on JT's wing vs oppositions top line every night. He's got 28 goals 56Pts.

You seem to be taking this discussion as a debate and want to be right. I'm more into getting to know facts.

If interested, Google Nylander and read what his coach and captain say about him. Don't worry about what I say.

I have zero desire to discuss this topic with you anymore after you made up things i never said and attributed them to me. 

Good day. See you around. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Now you are being disingenuous. You just made up things and attributed them to me. Only thing I said is about going into dirty areas. No one who follows the NHL thinks he does that.

He plays on JT's wing vs oppositions top line every night. He's got 28 goals 56Pts.

You seem to be taking this discussion as a debate and want to be right. I'm more into getting to know facts.

If interested, Google Nylander and read what his coach and captain say about him. Don't worry about what I say.

I have zero desire to discuss this topic with you anymore after you made up things i never said and attributed them to me. 

Good day. See you around. 

Sorry if I thought you were including Nylander based on the rest of your post:

51 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

None of the Young Stars play defense. Babs tried to get them to play D but failed.

I honestly agree that the entire Leafs culture needs to change, but allowing Nylander to play on the perimeter is a big part of the problem.  Shipping him out would send a message to the rest of the team that you need to be accountable in your own end and put in an honest effort, no matter who you are.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1