The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Injury to Markstrom Might Spark Team Identity

Rate this topic

MikeyD

18 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Yes it does. And I didn't say 4 to 6. I said 3-6. Recovery does mean full game day shape, and I have seen that in time periods closer to 3 with athletes. All this doesn't matter. You have no inside info that lets you know. Any thing at this point is a guess, and you are fear mongering by guessing worse case scenario. I don't even know why I bother replying after your disrespectful display earlier in this thread.

I don't need inside info I can tell you exactly what JB knows. 

They took xrays and learned that there was a tear.

They have no clue what type it is far to early to know that plus the lubrication that the knee has release would make the xray unable to tell at this point

In a few days that lubrication will be absorbed into the skin and they will get a clearer look. 

Either the tear will be small and it will heal on it's own 3-4 weeks

Or it will be larger and need surgery 

Even if it is small tear infection which is high in these cases due to the lubrication that has come out can also trigger surgery

Surgery now or not will be dependent on how much further damage was cause from the time he got the tear to the time he went to bed.

If he doesn't have surgery his leg will be immobilized for 10-14 days after that he will regain his mobility but the next 10 days ish will tell. 1 if he re-tears it or 2 if it heals properly 

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I have one question for you and most fans 

Do you really think that most Players care about the Fans? 

Let me just say this, most don't and that's why they have agents. Agents help them get the most Money they can get. If they cared about the fans they wouldn't need agents they would take the first amount they got offered and be happy to do so.

Here is another question

Who's ruthless in this scenario 

Come this July 1st if Marky leaves and signs a 6.5 mill contract 

Benning only offers him 5.5mill 

So who is ruthless Marky for not taking less and choosing not to care about this fan base

Or Benning for not offering him more

Let me tell you it's a trick question, neither it is Business, Benning thinks about the team and cap space, Marky will just bring the same joy to a different fan base and make more money. 

As soon as fans understand that players really don't care about fans, the fans themselves can become impartial 

Why don't you ask Linden that question... or the Sedins...

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Yes it does. And I didn't say 4 to 6. I said 3-6. Recovery does mean full game day shape, and I have seen that in time periods closer to 3 with athletes. All this doesn't matter. You have no inside info that lets you know. Any thing at this point is a guess, and you are fear mongering by guessing worse case scenario. I don't even know why I bother replying after your disrespectful display earlier in this thread.

There I explained the whole scenario now it's not fear mongering 

5 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Bunch of millionaires last time I checked

And????...

Doesn't mean they don't like the fans...

You don't have to be a selfish jerk, just because you get the chance to earn millions...

How many offer 20% of their pay pack to charity

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

And????...

Doesn't mean they don't like the fans...

You don't have to be a selfish jerk, just because you get the chance to earn millions...

How many offer 20% of their pay pack to charity

I knew you bring that up just waiting on it

First 1.5 mill not 20% and I believe that was total as well so 750k which is very interesting number for guys that signed 4 year 7 million dollar deals total 28 mill

750k of 28 mill is a little over 2.5% or $187500 per year on those 4 years. Sounds like they where talking to accountants 

Highest charitable donations is about 3% on income over 250k

It is not what athletes do in the spot light but what they do when they're not in the spot light 

What have they done for this community since they re-tired

Furthermore, do you honestly believe JB never went to them on the last year of the contract and asked if he could trade them, it would be terrible asset management if he didn't I wonder if the conversation went the same as the one it did with vrbata 

2 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

First 1.5 mill not 20% and I believe that was total as well so 750k which is very interesting number for guys that signed 4 year 7 million dollar deals total 28 mill

750k of 28 mill is a little over 2.5% or $187500 per year on those 4 years. Sounds like they where talking to accountants 

It is not what athletes do in the spot light but what they do when they're not in the spot light 

Furthermore, do you honestly believe JB never went to them on the last year of the contract and asked if he could trade them, it would be terrible asset management if he didn't I wonder if the conversation went the same as the one it did with vrbata 

1.5M  total of 14M is more than 10% of the first year earning... if you decide to calculate it over 4 years, why not calculate it of the entirety of their life instead to make the % less. Regardless, they gave 1.5M $ away to charity. They didn't need to but did so anyway... doubt they would have done so, if they didn't have any fondness of the fans and the city of Vancouver... 

My god man, they gave away 1,5M and you thinking about them maybe having a discussion with their accountant. So what.... 

I haven't got a clue, what they have done for the community since they retired... do you? 

But somehow I have a feeling that they still support their chosen charity either by donations or by attending dinners, auctions, speeches etc...

And to say its what they do, when they are not in the spotlight is not entirely correct Arrow (although I do understand, what you mean)... but by doing it, when they are in the spot light, they draw focus on to the charity , and that way probably help the charity.

The fact they make loads of money doesn't mean they hate the fans in stands... I'm sure Stecher loves them...after all he used to be one of them.

Finally whether JB asked Sedins how they felt about a trade.... I honestly don't have a clue, if they had that conversation or not. 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

All my thinking comes from one thought when talking about the Canucks

That thought is,

This is year 1 of a 7-10 year window

Signing Markstrom could handcuff this team 4-6 years. If Marky falters unloading him could cost to much

Demko has 1 year left on his contract and will be a rfa after that contract, JB could then sign him to a contract similar to that of Marky's current contract 3 years 3.5 millish and if Demko falters he can be replaced much easier 

Good number ones don't grow in trees - teams tend to keep them- can think of a dozen teams in the past that wasted good "windows" with mediocre or sub-par goalies.  And PHI had four of those teams all by themselves.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

You do know half goes off the top right?  Factually more - there is agents fees and insurance etc and donations are far from a complete write-off.. those 28 million deals get a lot smaller pretty fast (not that it isn't a pile of money because it is).   Could imagine a lot of family is also getting supported from those paycheques too (hockey moms and dads, siblings, later nieces nephews, grandkids etc).  

Subban after the Brinks trucks showed up at his house with his current deal donated 10 million to the children's hospital in MTL.   Even with his new bank account that's a lot of giving back, massively unshelfish.  Especially at their tax bracket (MTL).   Believe it  or not hockey players can and do give a lot back - and they aren't basketball or baseball rich either.    Maybe it has a lot to do with the majority of these guys coming from humble roots.    Talk to some - maybe they won't have the time of day for you like a lot of athletes in other sports - - but if they aren't in a rush I'm sure the majority will and quite a few will even if they are.  Funny how Howe and Gretzky feel about the subject - same with quite a few other greats.   Howe was legendary for staying well past the alloted times for signings, and felt it was his duty to stay until every person had a chat with him and got a signature (before and after playing).  Gretzky isn't much different but then again Howe was his idol - I believe he talks about this in his book.

If you've never been to an old timers game I'd recommend it.   The ones I went to were shortly after Dionne and Lafleur retired - so quite a few of them never got rich the same way players do now (salary disclosure hadn't given them enormous wealth).   They all seemed happy to talk, shake hands, BS about whatever topic.  And weren't aloof and standoffish.   Seemed happy to have fans meet their old idols really.   These guys weren't at all in the spotlight and seemed genuinely interested in us fans and happy to be there.  

Think maybe other sports might be different - but hockey fans are treated to classy players that seem to care about the cities they play in and the fans that meet them. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

their $1.5 mil donation was at the beginning of the previous contract, $6.1 mil aav. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How dare they try to make a province better? 

What jerks!

http://sedinfamilyfoundation.org/about/

You beat to me to it! Also, the Sedins established their foundation while they were still playing.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/sedin-family-announces-foundation/c-730310

Edit: To bring it back to the original topic, I believe Demko can pull it off but I also hope that the Canucks can learn to tighten up defensively, which might translate into reducing the number of high-quality chances against Markstrom when he makes it back.

Edited by prinzmetals_angina
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Lol man who peed on your cornflakes this morning? 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Wow, this boggles my mind. 

I've seen many Sedin bashers, many of them being Canucks fans. Although I disagreed with many points, some of them did bring valid points such as the rule change in playoffs and how that makes Sedins less effective in the playoffs. Sure, Sedins weren't perfect players, they had weaknesses.

But I've never seen anyone bash Sedins for donating 1.5 million, whether it was 750K each and whether it was spread over the length of their contract or whatever doesn't matter. That was their first big contract they signed in their respective careers. They had yet to earn money on that contract and still decided to put aside some money for good cause. And whether they talked to their accountants or not is again, irrelevant. In fact, I hope they did receive advice from their accountant, because any intelligent person should look after their own financial interest. It was money intended to be used to help those in need and there's no way the Sedins do that unless they felt grateful to the city and the province.

Suppose Sedins refused to be traded. That somehow makes them villains? And even for Vrbata, he had limited NTC so he had the right to choose teams that he was willing to be traded. In his case, he used it to veto any possible trade but why can't he? After all, he was with the team for just over a year at that point, he doesn't owe the team anything. Expecting loyalty from a UFA that we just signed? He's just looking out for his best interest. 

So to be liked by you, the Canucks players must sacrifice themselves even if it leads to them to become unhappy?

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I don't need inside info I can tell you exactly what JB knows. 

They took xrays and learned that there was a tear.

They have no clue what type it is far to early to know that plus the lubrication that the knee has release would make the xray unable to tell at this point

In a few days that lubrication will be absorbed into the skin and they will get a clearer look. 

Either the tear will be small and it will heal on it's own 3-4 weeks

Or it will be larger and need surgery 

Even if it is small tear infection which is high in these cases due to the lubrication that has come out can also trigger surgery

Surgery now or not will be dependent on how much further damage was cause from the time he got the tear to the time he went to bed.

If he doesn't have surgery his leg will be immobilized for 10-14 days after that he will regain his mobility but the next 10 days ish will tell. 1 if he re-tears it or 2 if it heals properly 

We are doomed.  I predict we our out of a playoff spot after this road trip.  Marky was stealing games, and that’s why we are in the playoff spot.  Now he’s gone we will see us lose a lot more.  Then Green will be gone, and (hopefully) we hire Babs.  Then next season we win the cup.  

• Haha 2